Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 17:56   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Alternative Reefer

I am about to commit to the construction of the ultimate reefer/freezer aboard my current ownership of WILDERNESS. I have realized that the frequency and regularity of opening the doors of the coolers is highly dependent on the following priority: cold liquids to imbibe. That means water, carbonated beverages, and juices. So, before building boxes and coldplates, I am now thinking about a separate box for the high priority items. My compressor is capable of this multiple sequestration, and I like the idea of saving energy. Any thoughts about alternate priorities? Everything is top loading, but the drinks cache would be in a convenient location.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 18:27   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Ah the ultimate reefer thread , .....

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 18:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob
something will easy access racks for the drinks, faster you can see what you want the faster you shut the damn door. Also less air space = less to cool. maybe even front opening for the drinks?
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:46   #4
cruiser

for chilled water you could place a small tank - perhaps shaped like a hip flask - and pipe it to a spigot as in household refrigerators and so then get cold water w/o opening the box. could also use a discharge line desuperheater to make "free" hot water. lots of other possibilities and a howto is on my long list.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:18   #5
CLOD

Boat: none
How is opening the lid on the "new" high demand box instead of the main box going to really change the energy involved? Might be a smaller door so yes maybe a little less cold air gets out. But then 1 more box to cool and lose the electrical efficiency on that to way offset (plus the costs).

I think you are going to spend a lot of time and money to get a small if any gain.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:15   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
As far as opening the fridge for drinks, we usually don't. I like me drinks on ice , so we bought a table top icenaker. Takes about six minutes to make a glass full and max's out 32 lbs a day if ypu run it continuosly.

Best $130 ever spent.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:35   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Hi Roy,

I just lost a LONG post into the "either-world" and don't have the heart to re-write the whole thing. You may have seen our set up, but just in case...

We used an air cooled Sea Frost unit, with EXTRA muffin fan, insulated ducting, a green LED "on" light, and an indoor outdoor thermomiter. Both it and the BOX are below the floor, between the settee seats, as drawn in the plans. (Both of which we raised 2 "). We like raising our feet, more than clearing the counter, to get inside.

The box was built external from the boat, and though the top and settee floor are lightweight cored composites, the rest of the box is glassed ply and epoxy gelcoated on the inside. Then it was glassed & a foil barrier installed on the outside.

Sandwiched in there are 1" thick Vacupanels, so I have the equivilent of 7" of foam, even though the walls are only 2 & 3/4" thick. The interrior is ample @ 2 cubic feet.

We turn it to "fridge only" to save amps, and put beverages closest to the plate. It averages between 20 and 40 amp/hours per day, depending on openings and climate.

It has done its job for 11 years now... even through a Trinidad summer. The solar panels easily keep up, and batteries are usually toped up by noon!

Having seen much of your work Roy, I know that what ever you come up with, will be a work of art!

Regards, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___16_05_47.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	22562   Click image for larger version

Name:	075_75_00.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	22563  

Name:	076_76_00.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	22564   Click image for larger version

Name:	077_77_00.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	22565  

Name:	078_78_00.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	22566   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___16_08_14.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	22567  

Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 16:33   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Mark, this is a little frightening. The Searunner forum is creeping out into the general arena, bringing with it civility, good photos, and genuine info. Have we created a monster? I'm thinking about putting a small top loader in the main salon, next to the MSB (main strength bulkhead for mere mortals) just for cold drinks, the Sodastream containers, etc. Thank you.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 17:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
for chilled water you could place a small tank - perhaps shaped like a hip flask - and pipe it to a spigot as in household refrigerators and so then get cold water w/o opening the box. could also use a discharge line desuperheater to make "free" hot water. lots of other possibilities and a howto is on my long list.
giving serious thought to adding a bladder to the bottom of the frig for this purpose
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:47   #10
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
I'm a strong believer in keeping thirsty crew and guests out of my reefer at all costs up to and including dismembering and the occasional murder. Unfortunately, TV shows portray the refrigerator as a public resource, with characters constantly in and out, helping themselves to drinks. Guests just don't know better. Now that most people have through-the-door ice water and ice at home, they are even less respectful of my reefer. The best solution seems to be keeping one or two soft-side ice chests on hand away from the galley and filled with help-yourself stuff. Between parties, these soft-side gems stow in little space or can be crammed into pillow shams to serve as throw pillows. You might have a supply of "blue" ice, some in the freezer and the others in the "public" ice chest. Change once or twice a day. Eliminates the cost and mess of real ice. It's an added plus to have two auxiliary units (ice chests or whatever). One holds cold drinks and the other holds only clean ice. Bottom line: the idea of auxiliary reefer space is brilliant. While you're in the planning stages is the perfect time to go for it.