Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 12:51   #16

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38
Re: Aeropress -- Impressions and some Queries

I have a virtually unbreakable lexan French Press. You can find them in camping stores and use them after a glass unit shattered while plunging.

But I do not make regular coffee but a massive strong brew that is over 1/3 coffee grounds. I add the boiling water wait about 5-10 minutes then pour about an a ounce in my cup and fill the rest with boiling water (similar to an Americano) The remaining thick coffee goes into a small thermos. I then get about 12 cups of great coffee from one pressing doing this once or twice a week. It has been much easier to boil a cup of water and mix then making a pot. adding the boiling water is enough to have a nice hot cup of coffee. My coffee blend is 1/2 French roast and 1/2 espresso that works well for my tastes.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 14:06   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncycle View Post
I have a virtually unbreakable Lexan French Press. You can find them in camping stores and use them after a glass unit shattered while plunging.
I tried the Lexan Bodum, but it uses a soft plunger so as not to scratch the plastic, and I kept getting my coffee filled with grounds. Perhaps I gave up too early, but I went back to a carefully stowed glass one.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to properly use the Lexan!

Fair winds,

Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:53   #18

my brother and I have used the aeropress for over two years now as we have been moving and traveling alot. got really tired of motel coffee.
you can purchase a stainless steel filter and not go thru the paper ones...the stainless steel one does drain as fast so you like it better.

the trick to these is to pour the water just before boiling and put the plunger in but dont plunge it. I pour the water over the coffee, stir it quickly then set the plunger so it is just in and holds in place...a bit will go thru but not much. be sure to wet the rubber end of the plunger before inserting it. I wait about 2 minutes or so, depending on how strong I want the coffee then plunge it thru.
i use one scoop of fresh grounds and only fill the tube about 3/4 with water but then I like strong coffee.

we bought two and what i like is that i just set each one on top of a coffee cup then once I plunge it thru I put a lid on the cup and and stays perfectly hot. I use the Copco cups which maintain the temperture and they dont spill.

the aeropress is the best system I have ever used and I have tried all the others including the Kuerig. the whole melita filter doesnt work for me because I really detest lukewarm coffee. hope that helps some.
macmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 16:21   #19

Wow small world...

I bought an Aeropress maybe 7 years ago. It's my go-to coffee maker when I'm on my own for breakfast, otherwise we use a Bodum french press for the breakfast coffee.

We have used the Aeropress on our little boat, but it can be a bit fiddly when you're trying to bang out some coffee for two while half-awake. Also, on one trip we forgot the screw-on filter holder.... now we carry a collapsible cone-filter ("Melitta") type and a box of filters. On the boat we often make coffee right into a Thermos, which keeps the temperature up.

Thanks for the Aeropress tips. Yes I've washed and reused filters on occasion.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:05   #20

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

GSI Outdoors Java Press Coffee Maker is the lexan French press I use. I actually have two, one on my boat and one in my camping gear. The camping one has served us great coffee on all six major continents. It has a thermal cover and a metal plunger. I did break a plunger by dropping it and then stepping on it while on a camping trip and replaced it with one from a glass unit that worked fine.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:22   #21

Boat: Cal 2-27

An Aeropress is one of the best purchases I've made in the last few years.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 00:13   #22

Boat: youngquist viking 34

I discovered the aeropress when a customer made me a fantastic cup of coffee . It is my usual go to. Often I start with a latte from the aeropress then the French press for a pot to drink as the day progresses.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:44   #23

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon

I found the stainless steel strainer let too much grit through, so now I use a paper filter and the strainer as a "pre-filter". It keeps the paper filter contained, and is easy to rinse off for reuse. We'll probably never run out of our initial supply of paper filters.
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 08:54   #24

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I ended up not using the stainless steel strainer because it was just something that I had to pick off the puck and clean separately. The paper filters are about a penny each and it's worth a penny to be able to just pop the whole puck into the bin.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 15:46   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've been using it for a few days now. I can't discern any great improvement in the coffee, but the grounds disposal and cleanup is revolutionary. I'm very pleased.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 16:07   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Recent research shows that there is a difference between paper and metal filters as far as cholesterol goes. Coffee generally raises serum cholesterol levels due to a substance called cafesterol (and something else IIRC). Paper filters absorb this, so the resulting coffee does not raise cholesterol levels. For those of us with heart issues it might be better to stick to the paper filters. No idea whether re-used paper filters are still effective but I'm not going to push it.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 16:55   #27
cruiser

Search 'aeropress inverted method' and you will see you can have complete control over brewing time
jaybird1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 21:54   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird1111 View Post
Search 'aeropress inverted method' and you will see you can have complete control over brewing time
When I tried inverting it, the expanding air blew the plunger out and sprayed me with scalding coffee and grounds. So be careful! Good thing I have a washing machine on board.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 22:05   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
When I tried inverting it, the expanding air blew the plunger out and sprayed me with scalding coffee and grounds. So be careful! Good thing I have a washing machine on board.
Very good thing you had clothes on!

Dockhead, with the inverted method you don't have the screw on cap in initially. Pop on the plunger, but don't depress it much.
Invert the tube.
Put in your coffee and pour in the 85° water slowly while stirring (you need to work out how much, as the markings are meaningless).
Stir 20 sec
Let sit 30-60 sec
Screw on cap with a wet filter in it.
Invert over the cup and take 30 sec to plunge.

Something does sound odd about your particular plunger if the coffee if just draining straight through before you plunge. Maybe try 2 paper filters? The plunger should be a little difficult to depress when you force the liquid through it.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 22:18   #30

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Yikes! As per SWL's post above, don't use completely boiling water and don't seal the apparatus right away. Most of the aeropress championship winners use slightly cooled water. I fill my mug with boiling water, rinse, then fill again. I then put this water in the aeropress using the supplied funnel to prevent spills. It wastes a bit of water, but then again I'm not yet on a water restricted boat! Your mug also gets pre-warmed as well.
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote