Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-05-2015, 11:51   #46

Re: Aeropress Help Needed Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You are not the first member to remark that coffee just trickles through on its own (I think Dockhead mentioned this on another thread). If this occurs, an Aeropress just becomes a fancy funnel with a filter. The brew is quite different emerging under pressure.

I always make two cups at a time, so two spoonfuls of coffee are being used. Also I wet the filter first, before adding coffee. Maybe that (along with very finely ground espresso coffee - Lavazza Gold or Illy) means the filter 'clogs' quickly. Perhaps about half a teaspoon trickles out when the water is first poured in. It drips at a rate of no more than a few drops per minute after that. I would be waiting until the cows came home and still wouldn't have a cupful to drink if I simply left it sitting there.

The bottom line is whether or not your technique produces a coffee you enjoy and whether or not it is worth the trouble of doing anything to improve it . Sounds like you are happy, so I didn't comment on this earlier.

SWL
SWL, I stir it up well, it looks like mud as it sits there. Perhaps since (it looks like) the coffee grounds are in suspension, they don't clog up the filter right away. It does take about 5 min. for it to all go through, but I'd have to wait a bit for it to cool down anyways so no lost time. I like my coffee warm, but not too hot.

Old 01-06-2015, 16:15   #47

Boat: islandpacket

Some one suggested using the inverted method to brew. Ok this took me awhile to figure out. But it works well with no pre dripping also works well with loose tea. Insert plunger to 4 turn over and stand unit on plunger with filter up. Remove filter add coffee or tea add hot water and mix put filter back on. Wait for your desired brew time. Turn over and plunge. Enjoy
I love the way this aeropress compacts the grind or tea leaves. So easy to clean. Thanks everyone who suggested this. Hands down the best inexpensive device I ever bought for my boat.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 14-07-2015, 01:55   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I'm going to the UK in a couple of weeks, would you like me to get a spare cap and post it to you once we are back in Greece (got to be quicker than waiting for post from the UK). I'm also going to get us a second Aeropress, just in case!
NornaB, the cap you sent has just arrived safely. Good to find the Greek postal system is still operating efficiently.
Many, many thanks .

The "work of art" construction in aluminium, ply and stainless steel that my better half made, served valiantly and will be retired in case of another emergency.

SWL
Old 14-07-2015, 06:28   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
NornaB, the cap you sent has just arrived safely. Good to find the Greek postal system is still operating efficiently.
Many, many thanks .

The "work of art" construction in aluminium, ply and stainless steel that my better half made, served valiantly and will be retired in case of another emergency.

SWL
Old 14-07-2015, 18:57   #50
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
…….

SWL
Surely conscience would suggest the the "work of art" be used daily and the "second best" new item be kept purely as back up.

Or perhaps the "work of art" be preserved for special occasions like when the Queen visits or some such… and that maybe be a possibility if the Duke (Prince Phil) ends up buying a couple of homeland islands in order to help out the local coinage issues of late.

SWL, you maybe famous and be anchored up in Phil's new playground soon - hang on to that "work of art"

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 19:19   #51

Boat: Catalina 380

And it will be difficult for it to mistakenly end up in the trash without noticing!
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 23:10   #52

Can one make tea in an Aeropress?

Must one stick their pinky way up in the air while doing so?
Old 15-07-2015, 00:22   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Surely conscience would suggest the the "work of art" be used daily and the "second best" new item be kept purely as back up.

Or perhaps the "work of art" be preserved for special occasions like when the Queen visits or some such… and that maybe be a possibility if the Duke (Prince Phil) ends up buying a couple of homeland islands in order to help out the local coinage issues of late.

SWL, you maybe famous and be anchored up in Phil's new playground soon - hang on to that "work of art"
No worries Wottie. It won't be delegated to the bilge. I am still negotiating with the Admiral to see if it can be featured permanently on the nav table .

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Can one make tea in an Aeropress?
I am well covered when it comes to serving liquid refreshments, so the Aeropress doesn't need to do double duty:

The Wedgwood teapot on board meets royal standards and I still have some Harrods English breakfast and Earl Grey blend left.

Homemade artisinal tonic syrup could be served if the sun is over the yardarm.

And if the queen drinks watermelon gazpacho or is feeling a little adventurous and would like to give it a whirl, I make a beaut mix.

Now the biggest issue is what flag do I fly in her honour? Is mum the word when it comes to royals popping in for a cuppa while on holidays, or would a guest flag be appropriate flown from the port spreader? The RYA make no mention of guest flags so I am at a loss regarding the correct etiquette here. The starboard spreader is currently in use with a courtesy Greek flag up (although it does seem this will shortly need to be replaced by a German one).

Also the CF burgee is flying off our port spreader. I am a little concerned that too many flags on the port spreader is considered vulgar by British standards. Should the CF burgee be taken down? And if not, is it appropriate to fly a guest flag lower than house flag? I wouldn't want the queen to get miffed.

The other problem is that I only have a red ensign and I think the penalty for flying a red ensign inappropriately is still beheading. Do you think when I issue an invite I should specify BYO flag?

SWL
Old 15-07-2015, 00:53   #54

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43

Forgive me, but after i picked myself off the floor from ROFLing, but I just had to forward a link to this thread to Scott at Aerobie, Aeropress customer service.
(They do have excellent customer service)

I'd be surprised if they don't offer to send you a new unit.

Keep in sippin' - Rusty
Old 15-07-2015, 21:38   #55

Boat: islandpacket

Yes, you can make tea in the aropress. Insert the plunger to #4 then turn it upside down with the filter and filter holder off. Put in tea fill with hot water and replace filter and holder. Steep as necessary. Turn and place on cup and plunge. Cheaper than tea bags and easy clean up.
Old 17-07-2015, 21:15   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No worries Wottie. It won't be delegated to the bilge. I am still negotiating with the Admiral to see if it can be featured permanently on the nav table .

I am well covered when it comes to serving liquid refreshments, so the Aeropress doesn't need to do double duty:

The Wedgwood teapot on board meets royal standards and I still have some Harrods English breakfast and Earl Grey blend left.

Homemade artisinal tonic syrup could be served if the sun is over the yardarm.

And if the queen drinks watermelon gazpacho or is feeling a little adventurous and would like to give it a whirl, I make a beaut mix.

Now the biggest issue is what flag do I fly in her honour? Is mum the word when it comes to royals popping in for a cuppa while on holidays, or would a guest flag be appropriate flown from the port spreader? The RYA make no mention of guest flags so I am at a loss regarding the correct etiquette here. The starboard spreader is currently in use with a courtesy Greek flag up (although it does seem this will shortly need to be replaced by a German one).

Also the CF burgee is flying off our port spreader. I am a little concerned that too many flags on the port spreader is considered vulgar by British standards. Should the CF burgee be taken down? And if not, is it appropriate to fly a guest flag lower than house flag? I wouldn't want the queen to get miffed.

The other problem is that I only have a red ensign and I think the penalty for flying a red ensign inappropriately is still beheading. Do you think when I issue an invite I should specify BYO flag?

SWL
Jeepers, this is a can of worms -no wonder everyone has left it alone - no so Mr Wottie though - who is known to rush it even though the angels are rushing out.

First and foremost, a flag of some sort IS ALWAYS required and getting it wrong can be very very serious - at least on CF even if not in the real world.

A couple of assumptions first up.

1. Greece has flogged off an island to Prince Phil.
2. They has relinquished authority over it by way of sale (i.e. they have sold it rather than leased it).
3. So while Prince Phil possibly has both Greek and UK citizenship, he would be in his rights to declare it a Princedom under his own authority. He would probably have to do this as he couldn't keep it as an Greek asset (as they sold it etc) and it would be bad optics to consider it an UK asset for a whole shipload of reasons. Some of which would be the UK being seen to be starting a new modern era empire expansion; or not having actually paid for it - Prince Phil would be using his own (or his wife's) private kitty to fund the purchase.

So the potential situation is SWL is anchored up in Prince Phil's private Princedom when he and his wife comes visiting. Without a suitable flag, they might consider SWL to trespassing - possible hanging offence - at least a good keel hauling - him being a naval man after all.

So I suggest a bludi big flag of a Corgi flown high off the forestay with a slightly smaller one of a boxing kangaroo flown below it. Leave the topmast and yardarms free and forget the jackstaff.

This should indicate you are intelligent enough to be respectful yet not cowering to their airs and graces. Also indicates you know jacksh*^ about flags in general so they can't take too much offence, Finally indicates you are an Aussie far from home rather than some uppity ex colonial from that other big land where they lost a war with.

Dish up the right tea in the right china (or perhaps something stronger for Phil) along with scones or lamingtons. Give them low down on the anchorages of their new Princedom and show them the mermaid photos.

Regale the Aeropress saga and I reckon they will be amused. Who knows, they might even toss knighthood or damehood in your general direction. Possibly both. Of course you will then need a new burgee or perhaps even a house flag - something with a stylised corgi and a mermaid having a cuppa together (above the said boxing kangaroo) .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-07-2015, 07:06   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Jeepers, this is a can of worms -no wonder everyone has left it alone - no so Mr Wottie though - who is known to rush it even though the angels are rushing out.

First and foremost, a flag of some sort IS ALWAYS required and getting it wrong can be very very serious - at least on CF even if not in the real world.

A couple of assumptions first up.

1. Greece has flogged off an island to Prince Phil.
2. They has relinquished authority over it by way of sale (i.e. they have sold it rather than leased it).
3. So while Prince Phil possibly has both Greek and UK citizenship, he would be in his rights to declare it a Princedom under his own authority. He would probably have to do this as he couldn't keep it as an Greek asset (as they sold it etc) and it would be bad optics to consider it an UK asset for a whole shipload of reasons. Some of which would be the UK being seen to be starting a new modern era empire expansion; or not having actually paid for it - Prince Phil would be using his own (or his wife's) private kitty to fund the purchase.

So the potential situation is SWL is anchored up in Prince Phil's private Princedom when he and his wife comes visiting. Without a suitable flag, they might consider SWL to trespassing - possible hanging offence - at least a good keel hauling - him being a naval man after all.

So I suggest a bludi big flag of a Corgi flown high off the forestay with a slightly smaller one of a boxing kangaroo flown below it. Leave the topmast and yardarms free and forget the jackstaff.

This should indicate you are intelligent enough to be respectful yet not cowering to their airs and graces. Also indicates you know jacksh*^ about flags in general so they can't take too much offence, Finally indicates you are an Aussie far from home rather than some uppity ex colonial from that other big land where they lost a war with.

Dish up the right tea in the right china (or perhaps something stronger for Phil) along with scones or lamingtons. Give them low down on the anchorages of their new Princedom and show them the mermaid photos.

Regale the Aeropress saga and I reckon they will be amused. Who knows, they might even toss knighthood or damehood in your general direction. Possibly both. Of course you will then need a new burgee or perhaps even a house flag - something with a stylised corgi and a mermaid having a cuppa together (above the said boxing kangaroo) .
Invaluable advice. Thanks Wottie, I knew I could count on you .

Hmmmmm "Dame Seaworthy".
Now that does have a nice ring to it .

I was so expecting the Order of the British Empire would be awarded for services rendered to the Royal Yachting Association when it came to CTS, but this must have slipped their mind.

In between scones (perhaps I should whip up some using Lady Flo's pumpkin recipe) and the right tea served of course in the right china, I could pull out a chart and demonstrate the current inaccuracies in the RYA method and how to overcome these. I would make it an old chart so it wouldn't matter if in their excitement they managed to smear any of my Ruby Grapefruit & Mandarin marmalade on it.

Damehood would be assured. Do you think I may even be dubbed on the spot or is there a risk the sword would be used for another purpose?

SWL
Old 18-07-2015, 18:03   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Invaluable advice. Thanks Wottie, I knew I could count on you .

Hmmmmm "Dame Seaworthy".
Now that does have a nice ring to it .

I was so expecting the Order of the British Empire would be awarded for services rendered to the Royal Yachting Association when it came to CTS, but this must have slipped their mind.

In between scones (perhaps I should whip up some using Lady Flo's pumpkin recipe) and the right tea served of course in the right china, I could pull out a chart and demonstrate the current inaccuracies in the RYA method and how to overcome these. I would make it an old chart so it wouldn't matter if in their excitement they managed to smear any of my Ruby Grapefruit & Mandarin marmalade on it.

Damehood would be assured. Do you think I may even be dubbed on the spot or is there a risk the sword would be used for another purpose?

SWL
I'm here to help Marm (or should that be My Lady). I'm not so good with the proper protocol around the titled folk

But we are getting ahead of ourselves; right now the effort has to be securing the Damehood. I am lead to understand this is not straightforward. It seems on investigation that it is more about the thoughts and feelings of the bestower rather than the merits of the recipient i.e. it is not aptitude based.

And who will be the bestower, clearly in a Princedom, it has to be the reigning prince although we do know that he will probably seek advice from his wifey as she is well known to have considerable experience in these matters. Even Prince Phil knows about "happy wife etc".

This suggests you have to suck up to her but in a very very subtle manner; don't forget she also had a lifetime of dealing with the sucking up type subjects. Nevertheless, she is female with a history of being both practical and forthright and well as the more usual feminine aspects. Work with those and you won't go wrong.

As well, I would stay away from the CTS stuff. No matter how modern Prince Phil is, his naval background will always suggest that you "will be wrong" regardless of the facts and merits of your case. As well, he is going to more concerned about what his fellow coves will be thinking (and saying) in the officers mess over a jug or two. You can't fight this stuff - just accept what is and be smarter. The smiles will be wiped off their collective faces once My Lady Seaworthy is officially on the scene.

So back to consorting with Liz, what is the best approach? My humble suggestion will be to play the to practical side. She is well known as a outdoorsy sort of person (horse riding, off road driving etc etc). Now you also have a fair bit of street cred as outdoorsy so consider playing that line. Cruising International yachtswoman, anchor analyst , boat designer, underwater photographer, svelte swimmer. And you can talk with some authority on the Single Malt - she does keep a small holding at Balmoral so that will pique her interest. Stay away from Aussie stuff (apart from the lamingtons). While she gives lip service to us, she only does so to keep face in her official capacities. Deep down, she's blames Oz for the way her boy turned out - something to do with Timbertop I believe.

So talk about anchors, show her the mermaid photos, talk about driving a big boat in storms and so on. I sure you will rise to the occasion.

And yeah, keep that sword handy; if it all turns to poo, duel your way out of it.

Good luck...

Tags
lease

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: