Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49   #31

Boat: grampian 26
Re: A decent cup of tea?

Careful CFers'. You might cause a revival of the old China Tea Clipper tea trade.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

kalifornikators know sun tea--lol find a large glass jug and put tea and water and sitin sun until doe--- add what ye like and yummm--- i used to do that with constant comment-- but that might be too orangey for many....is also good with black teas...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

heh... in college one of my house mates liked to brew sun tea... One day I brewed myself a nice strong pot and chilled it.

He grabbed the pitcher from the fridge and poured a glass and took a big swig.

"WOW" he says "This is great tea what kind is it?"

I told him it was the kind that was brewed properly, in a pot with boiling water.

His face was pretty funny, but he never brewed a batch of suntea again.

But I'm with ya on the constant comment, Zee. For a basic bagged tea it's my favorite. And anyone in my house gets it hot and lemony, sweetened with honey and infused with cloves for a sore throat!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:46   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds goood even to a coffee (mocha) drinker ..LOL... constant comment is a refreshing tea... i liked the strong brewed black tea in england--- had guts to it... fo rill-i make with the lil green limes and honey some tea like stuff--is limey and sweet and hot and makes throat feeel great.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:56   #35

I have no affiliation with them, but love these folks:

http://www.uptontea.com

They have always been prompt and fair in shipping, priced right, and the selection is unbeatable if you're serious about getting a high grade tea. They even offer tins or packets so if you're going to be cruising for a while you can order a packet to start and tins to store.

Personally I prefer Oolongs (Formosa Jade Imperial) and blacks (Bond St. Breakfast), but Dani likes greens (Gunpowder Temple of Heaven).

Also I'll cast my vote for a "proper" tea pot to brew loose leaf tea in. The Chatsfords are nice and you can get the cheap earthenware ones. I love the baskets they use and you can always find replacements.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27   #36

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Red Rose will provide not much in the way of a "decent" cup, but it will seem familiar and will suffice, particularly if you brew up with three bags instead of two.

Now, where's my insulated half-litre mug of Lapsang Souchong? It's coming up time to tack!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Thanks guys, looks like Red Rose is the stuff; at least it's readily available. Personally I think tea tastes like boiled mud, give me coffee any time.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34   #38

Check if there's an Indian supermarket in town. They can be good for tea. I just finished the large box of Tetley loose tea I bought from there. They also have PG Tips and a few others. They also frequently sell an interesting selection of British cookies and chocolate that will compliment the tea nicely. Chocolate Hob Nob anyone?
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 13:40   #39

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Hello cruisers,

I can gather from the posts is an inclination to drink STRONG TEA. most of the tea that is exported from India is the long curled leave called Darjeeling Tea for its aroma.
Indians on the other hand like strong tea with milk. These type of tea are called CTC tea - cut turned and curled.
The best drink would be to brew CTC to get a strong body and add a pinch of of long Darjeeling tea leaves for aroma. It works.

http://www.bestteabrand.com/india_tea.html

Regards

Prashantt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-426616337.png
Views:	185
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	29123  
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 14:50   #40

Re: A Decent Cup of Tea ?

My wife is from Yorkshire, and the only real replacement for Yorkshire tea IS Yorkshire tea!

However, Typhoo and Lifeboat are reasonable substitutes (like methadone for heroin) - just let it brew a bit longer. I would think there is a British store in most towns in Canada?

Cheers
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:10   #41

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
My wife is from Yorkshire, and the only real replacement for Yorkshire tea IS Yorkshire tea!

However, Typhoo and Lifeboat are reasonable substitutes (like methadone for heroin) - just let it brew a bit longer. I would think there is a British store in most towns in Canada?

Cheers
Yorkshire tea....Yorkshire qualiteee
Yup ya got that right.
Talk of "Breakfast tea" "Darjeeling" or "Earl grey'....... you know the poster doesn't understand the depth of Yorkshires passion for it's tea.
Canada has loads of Brit stuff in the shops and even has decent beers in some places.
How does your missus cope without decent fish and chips??? Along with a proper breakfast to go with a decent mug of tea, fish and chip withdrawal is killing me here. Oh a decent Jahlfrezi wouldn't go amiss either.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:58   #42

Boat: Mason 43

Thought I knew what strong tea was till I recently tried Russian black tea. I think I am addicted
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 17:38   #43

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"

Another Canadian tea is(was?) Hayhoe Flowerdale. Black and orange pekoe in a nice blend. My granny drank it for about 90yrs and survived. I like Red Rose but mostly drink Tetley here in Houston TX these days. Like so many west coast sailor lads I like mine scalding hot, sweet and white and in a quart mug. If you use evaporated milk all the better. Ya I did the far north thing for a while too, way back ............m
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26   #44

I must admit that I didn't know much about tea, an American, Lipton drinker. Then I was fortunate to have an Aussie crew lady on board who came with her own tea bags after learning what I had in store. After addicting me to her great tea she placed all her tea bags in a container marked "ANGELA ONLY!" and the Lipton in a container marked "SKIPPERS TEA" and that is how it was brewed, separately for each of us. I'm sure that maritime law allowed lashings for this but I could never find the passage.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15   #45

Boat: Westsail 32

All very interesting commentary on tea. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is water quality. After all, tea is 99.99% water. In rural NSW we lived for years on tank water (5000 gallon concrete tanks taking rainwater from roofs) and in our experience, we found tea made with rainwater an order of magnitude finer than tea made any other way. Even the teaspooful of diesel added to a 5000 (Imp) gallon tank every couple of months to prevent mosquitos from breeding still left the water supremely suited to making truly great tea. Still have the wooden boxes the 2 kg lots of tea (Dalhurst No. 1) came in.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote