Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 14:06   #61

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: 27ft cruising reality

Go search for this YouTube video

- HOW IS A PACIFIC CROSSING ON 25 FEET LIKE? - Ep 34 - by the Dutch Seaman. He is talking to a couple in their 60's crusiing on a 25 footer. NO ENGINE ! They had just crossed the Pacific. They looked like they were having the best times of their lives.

No one will ever convince me I need more than what I have to do what I want to do. Not as long as folks like these are out there.

Beeg boat ? We don't need no stinking beeg boat !
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 14:12   #62
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes I know it's narrow, feel free to discuss over in my thread, let's not derail this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Take a look at the Cape Dory 28.
Bit too wide, need to step down to the 27.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 14:40   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I understand the distinction, just not sure why you feel this is a "must have" for a small boat? As opposed to a big boat? Small boat big boat what's the difference?

As far as being better? Well, old school heavy displacement full keel with attached rudder vs modern light displacement with detached Spade has been debated on the forum a million times.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you have some subtle wisdom to share why an attached rudder is somehow preferable specifically on a small boat I am all ears.

Personally, I agree a transom-hung rudder is the "best" rudder for a small boat for several reasons.
The difference is I've never owned a big boat, so can't speak to it with as much authority. But yes, a stern-hung rudder attached to the back end of a full keel is the best rudder for any size boat, since it is easier to engineer and harder to damage. For me, then, it's a must-have for any boat I'll ever own.
Old 06-02-2018, 14:47   #64

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Go search for this YouTube video

- HOW IS A PACIFIC CROSSING ON 25 FEET LIKE? - Ep 34 - by the Dutch Seaman. He is talking to a couple in their 60's crusiing on a 25 footer. NO ENGINE ! They had just crossed the Pacific. They looked like they were having the best times of their lives.

No one will ever convince me I need more than what I have to do what I want to do. Not as long as folks like these are out there.

Beeg boat ? We don't need no stinking beeg boat !
Just viewed the YT video. Finding a crewmember willing to live on an engine-less Cape Dory 25 is a rare gem. The woman I am married to is more of the princess type.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 15:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Just viewed the YT video. Finding a crewmember willing to live on an engine-less Cape Dory 25 is a rare gem. The woman I am married to is more of the princess type.
I feel you man. My wife has no desire to try and cross an ocean. But she understands my need to try and is willing to let me go. I'm just about done getting the kids through school and I'll make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed before I shove off. She's a good woman, she just doesn't see the appeal. Hopefully I can get her to meet me somewhere but even that is doubtful as she can't stand to fly either !

If you have a princess I'd repeat what I saw in an earlier post. Start with some short and close stuff and see what works and how she likes it. She may be tougher and more adventurous than either of you realize. You will never know until you try !
Old 06-02-2018, 15:58   #66

The woman I'm married to dosn't like the hour and half drive to the marina. She does not want to learn anything about the boat. She just goes down into the cabin to read a book and asks "are we done yet". Then she says I need to get a bigger boat for her to enjoy sailing. I think her mind was influenced by an Bene Oceanis 50 that we had the opportunity to visit.
Old 06-02-2018, 16:13   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
The woman I'm married to dosn't like the hour and half drive to the marina. She does not want to learn anything about the boat. She just goes down into the cabin to read a book and asks "are we done yet". Then she says I need to get a bigger boat for her to enjoy sailing. I think her mind was influenced by an Bene Oceanis 50 that we had the opportunity to visit.
Have the wife meet you at various ports if sailing isn't her thing. She can fly down

You don't need crew on a Vega 27.

I haven't read the whole thread but if you have completed a few 150 - 200 mile cruises for your summer vacations all you have to do now is prep for the overnighters single handed which means radar, AIS, etc.....
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 16:23   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Have the wife meet you at various ports if sailing isn't her thing. She can fly down

You don't need crew on a Vega 27.

I haven't read the whole thread but if you have completed a few 150 - 200 mile cruises for your summer vacations all you have to do now is prep for the overnighters single handed which means radar, AIS, etc.....
You are correct. I don't need a crew but I would like a crew. It's not the solitude issue but more of the sleep/watch cycle.
Old 06-02-2018, 17:11   #69

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
You are correct. I don't need a crew but I would like a crew. It's not the solitude issue but more of the sleep/watch cycle.
Yep that will definitely be an adjustment for all of us. I hear folks on here talk about being on constant watch offshore and I'm thinking really?

I've gone below and catnapped sailing across the 20 miles of bay here after work when there is zero traffic and no buoys in site.

200-300 miles from land, I'm thinking one could adjust to sleeping for a few hours at a time

AIS and radar with contact alarms though would be nice to have.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower bay.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	163633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02085.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	163634  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02135.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	163635   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02136.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	163636  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 17:42   #70
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

A lot of folks seem obsessed with this sleep thing single handing.. and the need to have AIS and Radar for safe passage making..
I dont understand it to be honest..
Done 3 solo W to E transats with neither and got plenty of sleep to boot..
When I'm tired I crash till I wake naturally or the boat wakes me.
Your going across the Pacific and to be honest from Panama to the Marquesas the only boat I saw was a patrol boat near the Gallapagos and 3 small outboard powered skiffs about 400nm further West.. who wanted beer and ciggies.
Guess it boils down to personal confidence and risk tolerance..
Coastal is a different kettle of fish.. but even that is manageable.

Quote:

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 18:02   #71

I'm looking for balance at this point in trying to avoid installing expensive equipment into an inexpensive boat. I would like to have all the kit if this was the boat that I intended to keep forever, but at the end of the day it is still a 27ft boat that is getting more cluttered and heavy. AIS yes, radar no.
Old 06-02-2018, 20:17   #72

Tim, I didnt realize that you have a trailer. Hop your way down the west coast and when you get tired of it, tow it home. You will learn a lot coastal cruising and you can do it in stages if you are not ready to take off for years. I managed to go from San Francisco to Cabo in the 26 footer, with only 2 overnight sails. I learned where all of the little anchorages were , by asking local fishermen. ____Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 20:33   #73

Quote:
So I know many people have cruised far in these Albin Vegas. They are a sturdy platform designed in a previous era of minimalism. In your experience or opinion, do they have enough capacity in food and water storage to safely provision 2 occupants for 40+ days at sea (Pacific Crossing) without overloading and degrading performance? I have been thinking about purchasing a watermaker and self steering vane, but something inside of me thinks that a 34-36 foot boat would be much better suited for this endeavor. This came about after a friend conveyed to me that his larger boat had a very rough journey (comfort and space wise) and would be remiss to travel in a small boat like mine. I have spent thousands on my current boat and am not savvy to spend any more if there is a possibility that it would be sub-standard platform. I also want to be able to maintain clean-cut, semi-professional look instead of looking like a beach bum. Apologies to the Captain Ron look alike, but that just isn't my look, especially in the resort areas. I would put my future spending money into a larger boat. Do I have big boat-itis or just unrealistic snobbery...? Cheers anyways.
It's a monohull so you can load the crap out of it. Check out all the books by Lynne and Larry Pardey because they sailed all over the world in Serrafyn which I think was 21' and later Serrafyn 2 which was just a few feet bigger. Their books will definitely sell you on the advantages of cruising with a smaller boat.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 22:06   #74

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I have a double axle trailer for my Vega and it has been trailered very long distances. First from Oregon to Alaska. When I bought it, it was trailered from Haines AK to Tok AK whereupon I trailered it down to Homer AK. Some of the road conditions and mountains would be considered unpleasant to flatlanders. The snowstorms were the worst. The boat trailered perfectly without incident behind my F250 Diesel. It cannot be launched on this trailer and requires a travel lift or crane. That is the only downside.
You may have some plans to cruise the fjords and islands of BC but if not, have you considered trailering her down to, say, San Francisco and starting from there?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:25   #75

Heck I only sleep for a few hours at a time nowadays anyhow. Can't remember the last time I slept a full 8 hours in one stretch. I get plenty of rest, its usually good sleep, it's just that it only seems to be a few hours at a time. I feel fairly confident I'll be ok on that issue. I also find the older I get the easier it is to nap during the day. Hopefully it will all work itself out. I can't wait to find out !

Tags
cruising