Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 17:00   #136

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
We really need to put this aspect of cruising to bed. There is some serious misconception here.

If you come across a sailor/cruiser who is unkempt/dirty/unclean/wrinkled/sloppy/shoddy or any other adjectives you can think of its because they WANT to be like that. Unless there is some other extenuating circumstance.

I have ALWAYS equated the cruising life with CLEAN living and good health. I have NEVER had a problem staying clean and neat and well groomed with clean clothes and a good appearance. My wife and I lived aboard for 3 years on a Catalina 27 (with a cat even !) and she put on heels and lipstick every day to go work at Prudential Insurance in a very corporate environment.

Its not a matter of size, water, or anything else. Its how YOU decide to present yourself to the world. And that's IT. If you want to be sloppy - man its a free world ! Go to town brothers and sisters !! Flip flop your way down the road ! Its your choice ! Be free !!

If you like to be a neatnic, have at it. Me, I freely admit to a touch of OCD and I LIKE things neat and orderly and in their place, and that includes ME. I don't give a hoot what somebody else thinks about it - its just how I am and how I do it. And it makes me happy so bugger off mate !

I will not judge you. BUT, neither will I care one iota if you feel you need to judge me. Its a big world, and my time here is WAY to short to waste on that sort of stuff.

**whew**

Ok, I'm done. Sorry. Must have had one too many Crown and ginger ales.

I'm climbing off the soapbox.

Wow, I hope you can stay clean and neat after a long cruise with little sleep..

Folks seem to be way worried about being judged here. If you know who you are, why would you be so worried about being judged?

When I cruise, what clothes I do wear will be loose, wrinkled, sloppy, but also comfortable. Sometimes I will even wear shoes with my baggy shorts that are usually a bit below the tops of my underwear.

To me, it's about being young again which is why I climb and descend the cliffs at Kiptopeke for a workout and I get very dirty in the process because it's what I WANT to do. It's sort of a bummer also to get all the dirt rinsed off when I return to my boat in my kayak. Part of the workout is getting out of the kayak at the boat and doing a pull up on the stern railing to get in which a person in a dinghy with tucked in shirt and belt would never do

I like being natural when I sail. It's part of the experience

I'm not usually around others when I sail so I don't worry much about how I'm dressed or what I smell like but I do take care of my teeth

Also, it does freak me out a bit though when I see someone with tucked in shirt and deck shoes boarding a dinghy in the middle of nowhere.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 20:42   #137

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Guys, do you really not understand that most of us are not saying that you need to be neat, clean and tidy all the bloody time you are sailing? We are saying that when one is entering a new country and dealing with officials who have the power to deny your entry or to completely toss your boat, it pays to show respect and dress as we have suggested.

There is NOTHING yacht clubby about this, it does not destroy the inner (dirty and ill attired) you that you cherish, it is not an infringement of your civil rights, and for even very active cruisers, it is a pretty rare event and you won't encounter it all that often. Why are some of you getting so uptight about advice from folks who have been there and done that many times?

If the simple act of a sponge bath (or better if available), putting on long pants and a button up shirt and a pair of shoes is too stressful for you, I would seriously suggest that you are not well adapted to foreign-going cruising and should stay in your country of origin. Likely most of you will do that anyway...

Jim
Old 08-02-2018, 21:17   #138

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I dunno, I find the image of a gentleman, perhaps James Bond, stepping off a Vega in Hilo at the Suisan fish market dock, after 40 days from the Gulf of Alaska, with just a bit of straightening of the tux, and one comb through the hair... quite compelling... I'd pay good money to see that one.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 21:37   #139

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Guys, do you really not understand that most of us are not saying that you need to be neat, clean and tidy all the bloody time you are sailing? We are saying that when one is entering a new country and dealing with officials who have the power to deny your entry or to completely toss your boat, it pays to show respect and dress as we have suggested.

There is NOTHING yacht clubby about this, it does not destroy the inner (dirty and ill attired) you that you cherish, it is not an infringement of your civil rights, and for even very active cruisers, it is a pretty rare event and you won't encounter it all that often. Why are some of you getting so uptight about advice from folks who have been there and done that many times?

If the simple act of a sponge bath (or better if available), putting on long pants and a button up shirt and a pair of shoes is too stressful for you, I would seriously suggest that you are not well adapted to foreign-going cruising and should stay in your country of origin. Likely most of you will do that anyway...

Jim
And of course the bolded statement really summarizes this topic
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 23:24   #140

Boat: no boat any more

& I want to add:
you "scruffy-clearer" make it not only harder for yourself (which we don't care about) but for all that come after you!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:57   #141

[QUOTE=thomm225;2572819

Folks seem to be way worried about being judged here. If you know who you are, why would you be so worried about being judged?

[/QUOTE]

When you have customs officials on board, who have the power to make your life very miserable, it's sensible to try to make a good impression.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:05   #142
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
When you have customs officials on board, who have the power to make your life very miserable, it's sensible to try to make a good impression.
If he goes to OZ.. even in a 3piece suit he'll be sat on the pontoon while six guys, 2 women and a dog tear the boat up for 6hrs..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:17   #143

Hasn't happened to us, or anyone we know.

One guy had a problem, he had a large container of Freon on board, the old type that is banned virtually everywhere. Customs were going to confiscate it when he told them he needed it to top up his leaky fridge....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:19   #144
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
you "scruffy-clearer" make it not only harder for yourself (which we don't care about) but for all that come after you!
Or easier, by making the presentable look better by comparison 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:23   #145
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If he goes to OZ.. even in a 3piece suit he'll be sat on the pontoon while six guys, 2 women and a dog tear the boat up for 6hrs.. [emoji3]
Yes well, that was not the sort of country we meant, even water goes down the hole backwards 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:26   #146
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 27ft cruising reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Hasn't happened to us, or anyone we know.

One guy had a problem, he had a large container of Freon on board, the old type that is banned virtually everywhere. Customs were going to confiscate it when he told them he needed it to top up his leaky fridge....
Never had all your food taken, boards and panels lifted, timber inspected before you can clear in..???
Methinks you've never brought a foreign flagged boat into Darwin after a Pacific crossing.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:55   #147

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Yes, we get it and thanks for the info. Otherwise it would have been one more lesson learned the hard way.

If I ever do sail to another country, it would probably be Mexico or some other Latin American Country where Spanish is spoken since I did take lots of Spanish classes in High School and College.

It probably wouldn't take too long to learn again.......and after this Winter getting back down South again is appealing

On top of that, (getting somewhat back to the thread subject) I'd probably have to get a somewhat larger boat even though my 27' boat would get me there it would be a bit tight to live on for weeks or months on end. It's fine for a week or two but longer that that would be an adjustment .........or could be after that two weeks, I'd be adjusted

It would certainly be a pain to have to learn to trust another boat after having this one so long.........

Tom
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:55   #148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
In a perfect world, I'd agree with that, especially if you're looking at the next 35 years or so.

However, when the boat is small, some sacrifices need to be made.
No I disagree with that. In the first post Tim said "for 2 people". If the other person is female then it would be remarkable for them to exist on 2L of water per person per day.

That's a mug of water to clean your teeth in the morning and a mug to wash hands and face. A mug full for cooking pasta and rice etc leaves about 1 litre to drink as tea and squash etc. That isn't enough fluids IMHO especially if its hot. If the watermaker broke then you might be down to this to finish the voyage, but otherwise starting with say 300L and a small WM should see the crew enjoy the cruise and be able to wash themselves, food and clothes on route with fresh water.

Yes in the passed folk did need to collect rain water on route and I still would on a long trip, but it's a gamble that may pay off, or may not. It's not a delivery trip and they are not getting paid for the hardship, so they should be in a position to enjoy the trip. That's interesting home made food, drinks at happy hour, proper watch system and clean clothes and bedding to my mind.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 17:44   #149

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Everybody cruises differently, and everybody's dreams about cruising differ, as well.

As I wrote, above, we cheated, in that we carried the 5 gal bathing water separate, in the sun shower, and it does not figure in the fresh water per day. And, when we left the US, we had ~ 50 gal, in 2 bladders, under the settees, plus another 5 gal jug, lashed in the cockpit. However, our water consumption never exceeded 1/2 gal. (US gal) per day, because we were very careful with it, as Boatie suggested.

I am sure Pete is right, that some women would think doing that would be hard duty; I also think a few rare others would turn it into a fun challenge. I really have no idea whether or not the OP's good lady would put herself into the latter group.

Still, we are talking a boat with a 24' 7" waterline, with the longest passage to be approximately 2700 n. mi.

Although we gave a libation to Neptune, we decided to use no alcoholic beverages at sea, as a general rule. It was caution, to not use something that might interfere with coordination when the motion is bouncy and irregular, a condition which can arise unexpectedly. For it was a reflection of understanding that the sea does not *care* about us; and one must not go overboard.

The OP and his good lady have to decide what they, in particular, want, and their local cruising experiences will inform their choices.

Just how much space will 3 14 gal tanks occupy? about that of 8 jerry jugs, but that's 2 gal shy.

Ann
Old 10-02-2018, 03:36   #150

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

What ? No alcohol ? Perish the thought !!

I can understand the reasoning, truly. But I'm more of the "toddy a day" kind of guy. Although of course I only imbibe in moderation and that is subject to the conditions at hand. Obviously I'm not going to be knocking one back in the middle of a gale or during a passage through a busy shipping channel. My intake is usually at the end of the day after a good sail.

I could see having one on a long passage when the weather is good. And for those the special occasions such as crossing the equator or the international dateline.

But back to the subject of water. Another one of the reasons I like my CD28 is the 2 built in 30 gallon water tanks. Since its just me that's a good supply. I still plan on a watermaker, and I will choose that over refrigeration even though I'd love to have ice in my drink now and then. You can buy ice. If I can reasonably power both, I may add the refrigeration. I'll see how it goes.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising