Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2015, 16:01   #1
Registered User
 
GalleyWenchTale's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: wherever the boat is -- Jacksonville FL for hurricane season
Boat: Pearson 365 ketch sailboat, 36.5'
Posts: 38
2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

We're provisioning for between now and New Zealand arrival in November.

I've reviewed their site (here's one -- there are several, with similar content) for what to declare. While I've heard consistently anything dairy or meat unless clearly NZ in origin will be confiscated, what I really need to know is more about what is confiscated* regarding
  • herbs & spices
  • whole grains (ex oatmeal and muesli cereals)
  • seeds (such as sesame and chia)
  • powdered eggs from the US in sealed packages
  • powdered gluten-free gravy mix (from US)

*figure it's one thing to declare, but not everything properly declared will be confiscated.

FYI - We are planning on arriving in Opua -- we have heard what is and isn't an issue varies by Port sometimes.

Also, I just sent an email to one of the NZ site for more info asking the same questions. If/when I get an answer I will share it here.

Cheers & thanks in advance for your info.
__________________

__________________
It's not the size that matters, but the motion of the ocean.
www.GalleyWenchTales.com
GalleyWenchTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:14   #2
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,952
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Based on my experience last year everything on that list except the eggs should be OK and the eggs are a ? as I didn't have any.

Anything bought in Polynesia was OK as was the bit of Chilean I had left. That includes canned meat and veg.

The only things they said would go ( we didn't have any ) were fresh meat fruit or veg. Also honey even if unopened. ... and home canned stuff.. especially moose......

Just work on arriving with minimums..... you can buy anything you want in NZ.
__________________

El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:26   #3
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

The documents on that site seem to be more aimed at people who get of a plane or a ship and must declare what they are bringing in and the disposal bins are in the air/ship terminal.

I would expect that the procedure is different for visiting yachts and Inwould expect that quarantine will come on board and go through your cupboards and pick out what needs to be destroyed.


Just select yes to each of these on your entry card

Are you bringing into New Zealand:
• Any food: cooked, uncooked, fresh, preserved, packaged or dried? Yes No
Animals or animal products: including meat, dairy products, fish, honey,
bee products, eggs, feathers, shells, raw wool, skins, bones or insects? Yes No
• Plants or plant products: fruit, flowers, seeds, bulbs, wood, bark,
leaves, nuts, vegetables, parts of plants, fungi, cane, bamboo or
straw, including for religious offerings or medicinal use?


One thing I've learnt from watching the Australian TV program "Border Security" is if you are not sure, declare it.

I'm betting that your powdered eggs will have to go.
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 20:29   #4
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,952
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The documents on that site seem to be more aimed at people who get of a plane or a ship and must declare what they are bringing in and the disposal bins are in the air/ship terminal.

I would expect that the procedure is different for visiting yachts and Inwould expect that quarantine will come on board and go through your cupboards and pick out what needs to be destroyed.


Just select yes to each of these on your entry card

Are you bringing into New Zealand:
• Any food: cooked, uncooked, fresh, preserved, packaged or dried? Yes No
Animals or animal products: including meat, dairy products, fish, honey,
bee products, eggs, feathers, shells, raw wool, skins, bones or insects? Yes No
• Plants or plant products: fruit, flowers, seeds, bulbs, wood, bark,
leaves, nuts, vegetables, parts of plants, fungi, cane, bamboo or
straw, including for religious offerings or medicinal use?


One thing I've learnt from watching the Australian TV program "Border Security" is if you are not sure, declare it.

I'm betting that your powdered eggs will have to go.
It is my understanding that is seeds and nuts that you can go out and plant...

Ready to eat.. eg salted peanuts ...are OK... had friends arrive via air the other day with almonds... declared and allowed to keep.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 21:13   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Posts: 563
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

All problematic foods are raw. No processed foods (i.e., cooked) are problematic.
__________________
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 21:26   #6
Registered User
 
Albro359's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Elyse is in Fiji
Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Posts: 510
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

You should arrive in NZ with the minimum.
no meat, fruit or vegetables, no honey, no eggs..
when we came in last year milk was OK...they change the rules often...it may nit be OK now.
Some packaged meat products from some countries are OK...some not...
Best bet is don't bring in anything you think might be confiscated.
If you're not sure, declare it....if you don't and they find it you face big fines
You can buy almost anything in NZ.
__________________
See you out there ....... Alan S.V. Elyse
now http://svelyse.weebly.com
older http://voyagesofDIVA.weebly.com
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:04   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

NZ has no foot and mouth, or rabies and of course they want to keep it that way, so they don't like dopes who arrive at the border who have bought that lovely but infected Brie from noumea. All that's neede is a blue arsed fly to have a nibble


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:09   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

And bobs ya uncle.

So NZ MAF is well trained to accept anything that may pose a threat, thus DECLARE anything at the border. If it's ok they won't take it off you but if they find something that's not declared its an on the spot fine.

I would not worry about some herbs and spices, some seeds of oatmeal. Chuck em overboard before you get past the leads in Opua.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 10:33   #9
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Based on my experience last year everything on that list except the eggs should be OK and the eggs are a ? as I didn't have any.

Anything bought in Polynesia was OK as was the bit of Chilean I had left. That includes canned meat and veg.

The only things they said would go ( we didn't have any ) were fresh meat fruit or veg. Also honey even if unopened. ... and home canned stuff.. especially moose......

Just work on arriving with minimums..... you can buy anything you want in NZ.
What???

NO Moose? Seriously, that is a sacrilege. We can some when ever we get one. And I know they don't have moose in NZ, so what's the issue? The fact that it is meat?

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 11:59   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: On Board
Boat: One Off Steel 12m Sloop
Posts: 12
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules[/QUOTE]

I have used honey for wound treatment etc. but you should be aware it can be a source of botulism
Botulism - NHS Choices
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism
__________________
rodrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:00   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 811
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleyWenchTale View Post
We're provisioning for between now and New Zealand arrival in November.

I've reviewed their site (here's one -- there are several, with similar content) for what to declare. While I've heard consistently anything dairy or meat unless clearly NZ in origin will be confiscated, what I really need to know is more about what is confiscated* regarding
  • herbs & spices
  • whole grains (ex oatmeal and muesli cereals)
  • seeds (such as sesame and chia)
  • powdered eggs from the US in sealed packages
  • powdered gluten-free gravy mix (from US)

*figure it's one thing to declare, but not everything properly declared will be confiscated.

FYI - We are planning on arriving in Opua -- we have heard what is and isn't an issue varies by Port sometimes.

Also, I just sent an email to one of the NZ site for more info asking the same questions. If/when I get an answer I will share it here.

Cheers & thanks in advance for your info.
I live in NZ and have only entered by air but it's the same regulations at any port. Today I'm in Canada and tomorrow the US. Sept 16 NZ. I've made many many NZ border crossings and I think all those food items will be confiscated but must be declared. I'm not sure about the egg and the gravy mix but quite likely not allowed.


I was once years ago visiting Kialoa (2 I think) when it had just arrived and MAF; Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries emptied out all their meat from the deep freeze and other food was taken away to be destroyed.


Honey will be confiscated if it doesn't have pest free certification as NZ bees could conceivably catch disease from it. I have brought in to NZ factory sealed food such as smoked salmon from Canada otherwise I bring in no food and all must be declared.


The reason is because NZ economy is based on farming and agriculture and NZ is practically pest free being geographically isolated. This enables us to export our produce. It is not just over zealous officialdom. The officers will be very friendly if you don't hide anything.


I understand border entry at Opua is by special appointment as Customs and MAF are based in Whangarei being the closest offices. Overseas shipping regularly visits Whangarei and there is an oil refinery there serviced by tankers.


There are various appointed "Coast Watch" homes and farm houses overlooking the coast and bays that report any unusual foreign looking vessels directly to Customs. That shouldn't worry you as they are mainly concerned with drug smuggling.


I'm sure you will find more specific details on a NZ Govt website. Try googling something like NZ govt.org or more simply NZ ministry of agriculture and fisheries. And NZ Customs. All the food regulations will be there if you look through the layers.


I realise sailing in is different to flying in as you need provisions for the journey but I wouldn't stock up more than you need. Most factory sealed produce should be fine. I guess you are coming from Fiji and both Suva and Nadi have supermarkets.


In the 1990s 4 fruit flies were found in MAF baited traps in an Auckland residential area. This resulted in a Canadian DC 6 water bomber being brought in and a very large residential area was bombed with an insecticide for weeks with the DC6 flying about 150' over the rooftops until extensive trapping found no more. Nobody died or got sick. It was very nostalgic for me watching the low flying D6. They also used choppers and small top dressing planes in difficult places.
__________________
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:18   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
grantmc's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wellington, New Zealand 41 degrees south
Boat: Raven 26
Posts: 260
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
What???

NO Moose? Seriously, that is a sacrilege. We can some when ever we get one. And I know they don't have moose in NZ, so what's the issue? The fact that it is meat?

I really don't get the honey thing... it is the one food that never spoils. But then, I don't make the rules
Bee bacterial diseases such as European Foulbrood and Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus can be carried in honey. NZ doesn’t have either of those diseases and is trying very hard to keep them out.

The person that clears your boat in will also take away all of your rubbish for appropriate disposal.

Moose you say. NZ has seen many idiots release introduced animals into the wild here. It’s a huge list and some species go on and thrive and cause enormous damage and kill off endemic species or habitat. Needless to say moose were one such animal. They were released into Fiordland for hunters to shoot. Fortunately they don’t thrive, but every now and again someone shoots a trophy.
__________________
Grant Mc
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
grantmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:34   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,042
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

IIRC moose are potential carriers of "brain wasting" diseases, the same as deer and cattle. While the scientists can argue over whether one prion will manage to transfer and infect another animal...you can understand why Customs would rather prohibit the whole beast, than try to draw lines in the sand about whether which parts might or might not be safe.


First time I crossed into Canada, we had potatoes and blueberries aboard. One or the other was allowed loose but not bagged, or vice versa. Damfino. But the customs man was quite friendly and reasonable, he just said "Eat them on the boat and don't worry about it." Quote possibly because there just weren't any potato farms around to catch a blight from us.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:37   #14
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Punta Arenas ahorra
Boat: 39' Westerly Sealord
Posts: 3,952
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
All problematic foods are raw. No processed foods (i.e., cooked) are problematic.
Home processed ie canned or bottled foods are considered problematic in NZ and you will lose them..and the jars that they came in......
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 12:48   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 811
Re: 2015 New Zealand food restrictions?

I had an interruption but enjoy your stay. Half of the yachts from Auckland descend on the Bay of Islands from Boxing Day for a couple of weeks and anchorages are fairly crowded but OK. The weather can vary from perfect to horrible and sometimes changes quickly.

If you visit Auckland you will find all the marine services and equipment you could ever need especially around Westhaven a couple of km west of the CBD.


In the Bay of Islands Opua marina office ph number that I have with me is +6494027124 from overseas and 094027124 from NZ. I think that's current. You can often rent a spare berth if you get in early and they can give you more accurate info than myself. Be aware of time zone differences if you call. They are probably 9 / 5 and it will be daylight saving from about late Oct.


The annual Coastal Classic ( Oct 25 ish) yacht race record for 120 mm between Auckland and Russell near Opua is from memory 5 hrs 13 mins in trimaran Vodafone. It can be good sailing along that coast.
__________________

__________________
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, New Zealand

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wanted: New Zealand to Fiji - May 2015 spiv Crew Archives 11 25-04-2015 15:22
Free Food Inventory App - Track your food supply on the boat & at home KasperH Commercial Posts 22 01-03-2015 08:28
Crew Available: 2015 Fiji and New Zealand MaidenVogage Crew Archives 0 25-04-2014 12:05
USVI Food/Garbage Restrictions Zoomer Atlantic & the Caribbean 4 13-04-2011 09:42
Food - Beautifuly Cooked Food feelsgood Liveaboard's Forum 10 04-11-2009 11:46



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.