Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:29   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
BTW I find, at the above freezer temps in the 'teens F, that water in ice cube trays doesn't freeze hard - it only gets slushy. The temp sensor I'm using is accurate within a few degrees. Any thoughts about this?
I've noticed that with Ice cream. Even though the thermometer reads 15 degrees F the ice cream remains a bit soft especially at the top of the freezer. I think maybe the lack of a circulating fan has a bit to do with it. I notice too that my unit cycles back on after about 5 minutes. The items next to the cold plates are usually the more solid. Insulation is probably another factor.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:00   #17

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I use an Engel 45 as my fish freezer, works great. We catch tuna, fillet, bag and then freeze in the Engel. They freeze in a few hours. Once at temp the unit draws about 25 amp-hours a day. This was with air temps of 90 deg as it is in a closet. Boat is in the tropics so air inside the boat is mid to upper 80 deg during the day. Unit has about 18 months of continous running , over the last 36 months. I do use the padded/insulated cover with the unit. Last time I looked at the gage, outside was 87 deg and interior was 5 deg. Love the unit.