Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 13:35   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
12V Slow Cooker

What's the group experience with 12V DC slow cooker/crock pots? I found mixed reviews from trucker/campers and that probably is what to expect on a boat, but figure may as well ask.

It seems smart to have an upgraded power supply to it based on my reading. I guess I could use a small AC unit instead as there is already an outlet in galley, but that seems a power waster.
Old 29-06-2015, 13:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: 12V Slow Cooker

Use a pressure cooker instead, with whatever fuel you already use. Most warm places you go, the slow cooker will just heat up the cabin. The p.c. is only on for a short while, and results are excellent.

It costs a lot of battery power to make heat from electricity. Trucks, et al, run their alternators constantly, sailing, one usually has the engine off. Cooler that way.

Ann
Old 29-06-2015, 16:39   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Different things, different methods

Interested in slow cooker experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-06-2015, 16:43   #4

Yeah, You can heat a pressure cooker for maybe 20 minutes and just turn it off. Everything will cook inside after it's off.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 17:12   #5

Boat: islandpacket

I have lots of AC receptacles. But they only work when the boat is docked and the boat plugged into shore power.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-06-2015, 04:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

I use a Wonderbag. Heat food in a normal pan with lid (or pressure cooker) for 10 minutes or so, tuck in the Wonderbag and let it cook for a few hours. Almost energy free cooking slow cooking.

International
Old 06-07-2015, 20:24   #7

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What's the group experience with 12V DC slow cooker/crock pots? I found mixed reviews from trucker/campers and that probably is what to expect on a boat, but figure may as well ask.

It seems smart to have an upgraded power supply to it based on my reading. I guess I could use a small AC unit instead as there is already an outlet in galley, but that seems a power waster.

Have you thought about a solar cooker instead. There are a few on the market and I was thinking about getting one myself.
Old 06-07-2015, 21:33   #8

My home AC slow cooker on high uses 270W @ 120V which is 2.25A
VxA=W
At 12V that would be 22.5A
Cooking a pot roast for 6 hours would use 135Ah
So is you can afford the Ah's and don't mind heating up your galley go for it.
Does anyone actually make a 12V slow cooker?
Running a 120V off inverter would cost even more Ah's due to conversion inefficiency.
A better albeit more expensive alternative would be a "thermal cooker" which is kinda like vacuum bottle in a pot shape (vacuum or super-insulated) - you can find them on Amazon or where ever, but $2-300 is pretty spendy for them. You heat up the meal and shove it in and they will keep the heat inside with their insulation, so they are efficient and don't heat up the galley.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 23:34   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
A better albeit more expensive alternative would be a "thermal cooker" which is kinda like vacuum bottle in a pot shape (vacuum or super-insulated) - you can find them on Amazon or where ever, but $2-300 is pretty spendy for them. You heat up the meal and shove it in and they will keep the heat inside with their insulation, so they are efficient and don't heat up the galley.
Or check out the Wonderbag link I posted earlier, a much cheaper thermal cooking alternative.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderbag-Po...ords=wonderbag
Old 07-07-2015, 01:47   #10

As mentioned above ... a pressure cooker brought to pressure and turned off and left alone will slowly continue to cook as it cools down ... it's cool down (cooking) time can be further extended by insulating it ... traditionally done to dutch ovens by putting them in a box filled with straw ... for a modern take you could just wrap your pressure cooker in a suitably sized insulating blanket and stash it out of the way.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
As mentioned above ... a pressure cooker brought to pressure and turned off and left alone will slowly continue to cook as it cools down ... it's cool down (cooking) time can be further extended by insulating it ... traditionally done to dutch ovens by putting them in a box filled with straw ... for a modern take you could just wrap your pressure cooker in a suitably sized insulating blanket and stash it out of the way.
Or, drop the hot pressure cooker in a Wonder Bag. Need one with a removable handle though. Extends heat retention time significantly. "Wonder Bag" is just a fancy version of the straw box concept.

Makes a decent sette pillow when not in use...even comes in a variety of patterns & colors...much more comfortable than a straw box.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 14:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Or, drop the hot pressure cooker in a Wonder Bag. Need one with a removable handle though. Extends heat retention time significantly. "Wonder Bag" is just a fancy version of the straw box concept.

Makes a decent sette pillow when not in use...even comes in a variety of patterns & colors...much more comfortable than a straw box.
The Wonderbag will accommodate a long handled pan. I make sure my pressure cooker is at room pressure before tucking it in the bag. The beauty of this method is that food is cook quick to tenderise and then slow for flavour and remains hot until required.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:13   #13

Boat: islandpacket

To the OP, I used the lunchbox style 12 volt heater. I only used it while motering on the ICW. I placed the unit in the sink and plugged it in several hours before anchoring. It worked fine. I would think the 12 volt slow cooker would be great as you could start it when you left in the morning. But I would only use either while motering and not just on battery only.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app