Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 09:55   #16

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: zinc versus aluminum galvanic protection

Boatpoker I have a friend with aluminum hull houseboat. Like me heís a freshwater boater on the currently flooding upper Mississippi. He had aluminum alloy anodes put on when he launched it in 2013, Iíve tried telling him to haul and check his hull and anodes but he is the type of guy who will only haul if he was to ding a prop. What is your opinion of his choice of anodes and his haul out schedule?

River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:06   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Boatpoker I have a friend with aluminum hull houseboat. Like me heís a freshwater boater on the currently flooding upper Mississippi. He had aluminum alloy anodes put on when he launched it in 2013, Iíve tried telling him to haul and check his hull and anodes but he is the type of guy who will only haul if he was to ding a prop. What is your opinion of his choice of anodes and his haul out schedule?
I'm not boatpoker, but if I was an aluminium boat owner I'd have one of these without question to keep an eye on this sort of thing

https://www.boatzincs.com/corrosion-...electrode.html

Our boat isn't metal, but the expensive prop is. so I check it at least monthly.

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Boatpoker I have a friend with aluminum hull houseboat. Like me he’s a freshwater boater on the currently flooding upper Mississippi. He had aluminum alloy anodes put on when he launched it in 2013, I’ve tried telling him to haul and check his hull and anodes but he is the type of guy who will only haul if he was to ding a prop. What is your opinion of his choice of anodes and his haul out schedule?
Aluminum anodes are the only material suitable for all waters and while they will last longer I'd be checking monthly until I got a handle on how long they'll last in any particular harbour. Aluminum is a great hull material but galvanic and stray current protection is CRITICAL.

Tags
aluminum, rot