Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 12:07   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Yuloh, sweeps and getting into the dock without a motor.

This thread is for all those that want to build their own Yuloh's, sweeps and apply them to their cruisers. It is also the place for those that want to compare various forms of getting into the dock that is not the typical "start the engine, I can see port 5 miles ahead" response.
A very good how to is here:
How to Scull , Yuloh a Boat
And of course I love this because it shows a bigger boat with propulsion by yuloh:

So let's hear of your experiences with this. Is it better than sweeps? Have you made your own, and if so, where did you get your plans!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:21   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Yuloh, sweeps and getting into the dock without a motor.

That is a beautiful boat!
Old 01-01-2016, 12:39   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

I've read about using a yuloh but never seen one in action. Thanks for the video. It seems like the smaller the boat the better they work. Any ideas about how big a boat they would still work with? I'm 6'3 and want standing headroom so maybe I'm looking at a 35'. Would a yuloh work for a boat that size?

Also a yuloh seems like a no brainer for inland lake sailboats. Why maintain a diesel or gas engine just to get into and out of your slip?
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:42   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Seen several in action (yuloh), helped a dockmate build one once. They work, well. Biggest advantage is no sweeps to port, ie you can come right up alongside a dock as if you had an outboard on the transom. If you've ever been to Venice, you've probably seen a version in action...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:42   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I've read about using a yuloh but never seen one in action. Thanks for the video. It seems like the smaller the boat the better they work. Any ideas about how big a boat they would still work with? I'm 6'3 and want standing headroom so maybe I'm looking at a 35'. Would a yuloh work for a boat that size?
Probably;

goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:43   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post

Would depend very much on the boat.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:51   #7

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Yuloh, sweeps and getting into the dock without a motor.

Thanks for starting the new thread; been waiting for it Hope we see some pics of you rowing your big boat around as well!

The yuloh concept seems to depend partly on the size of the lever arm-longer oar and greater time and distance in the water per stroke. But of coarse the human body has limits. What are the biggest boats people have seen being pushed around? I've only seen sweeps on an Aquarius pilot cutter before, which are very small.

As an aside, my dad was very fond of one form of alternative propulsion. Where we live, the Severn in the summer often has good morning and evening breezes, but nothing in the afternoon. Many weekend mornings when there was a good breeze, dad would convince us it was an Annapolis day and we'd jump onto the Hobie and sail by the Naval Academy. Of course the wind would die on the way back, so he would tie a rope around my brother and me and toss us off the bows, and we would swim the beach cat home from the Bay bridge. Dad, of course, had to stay on the boat to steer! Usually, the Severn was also full of sea nettles, so I can't recommend this particular form human propulsion.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:09   #8

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

As you probably know sculling and rowing and sailing are the only legal means of the Three peaks Race in Great Britain . It was won several years ago by an Outremer 45 with sculls mounted on each transoms . I just went to the 3 peaks web site and there is a vid of a boat called Obedient you can see sculls in the cockpit. No matter what anyone says,its reliable and in a pinch its better than nothing.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You may not see my sweeps again because to CF! I have always had difficulty with the close in work on oars. They are not easy to go into slips with. The Yuloh looks like it may be slightly less efficient, but has the ability to back out and enter into a narrow slip! I think I am going to build me one of these!
I should mention too that these things are at the far end to the spectrum. I usually sail as far as I dare, going on small little wisps of wind, and usually throw a line to a dockmate and get pulled in.
Showing up solo, in the middle of the night at a new anchorage in a dead calm (which we all have done) is where these techniques shine. You can nose around, not hit anyone, and set your anchor in stealth mode.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:20   #10

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Would depend very much on the boat.
A Southern Cross 35 with 18,000 lbs displacement. Probably the displacement also makes a difference.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:23   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I would love to try yulohing (can I say that?) with our boat. I have sculled her using our barn door rudder, and she'll get going quite well when there's no wind or current.

Our Rafiki is 30,000#, full keel, transom-hung rudder with tiller. She also has a boomkin where we normally carry a windvane. Here's a pic:

Any thoughts on how I could mount a Yuloh chock?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	116007  
Old 01-01-2016, 13:25   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You may not see my sweeps again because to CF! I have always had difficulty with the close in work on oars. They are not easy to go into slips with. The Yuloh looks like it may be slightly less efficient, but has the ability to back out and enter into a narrow slip! I think I am going to build me one of these!
I should mention too that these things are at the far end to the spectrum. I usually sail as far as I dare, going on small little wisps of wind, and usually throw a line to a dockmate and get pulled in.
Showing up solo, in the middle of the night at a new anchorage in a dead calm (which we all have done) is where these techniques shine. You can nose around, not hit anyone, and set your anchor in stealth mode.
I suggest you build a dinghy size model before trying to power the mother ship.

Old 01-01-2016, 13:27   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I would love to try yulohing (can I say that?) with our boat. I have sculled her using our barn door rudder, and she'll get going quite well when there's no wind or current.

Our Rafiki is 30,000#, full keel, transom-hung rudder with tiller. She also has a boomkin where we normally carry a windvane. Here's a pic:

Any thoughts on how I could mount a Yuloh chock?

Other than that it is tricky and requires experimentation, the only input I'd have for you is that that boomkin ought to make it much easier.

Old 01-01-2016, 13:34   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting yuloh type design.

Old 01-01-2016, 13:36   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Other than that it is tricky and requires experimentation, the only input I'd have for you is that that boomkin ought to make it much easier.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well. The boomkin is solidly bolted and well backed. I was thinking I could mount a chock on it. I'd have to experiment with location before getting it welded on.

Just wondering what you experienced guys think about me even trying this with a 30,000# boat. Am I completely crazy?

Tags
dock, motor