Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 13:36   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Yuloh, sweeps and getting into the dock without a motor.

Maybe....

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 13:39   #17
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Awesome!

Old 01-01-2016, 13:42   #18
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks. That's what I was thinking as well. The boomkin is solidly bolted and well backed. I was thinking I could mount a chock on it. I'd have to experiment with location before getting it welded on.

Just wondering what you experienced guys think about me even trying this with a 30,000# boat. Am I completely crazy?

Not if you only expect it to provide propulsion in relatively flat calm water. And if you are big and strong!

Old 01-01-2016, 13:56   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

How about this example:

Duckworks - The Easy Go Yuloh - Part One
Old 01-01-2016, 13:58   #20

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

The forward rower looks like it might use a similar action to the Hobie Mirage drive - just arms instead of pedals. Hard to see how it might adapt to a sailboat though - except for those guys who have installed downriggers on the sides for fishing
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 14:02   #21

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
You may not see my sweeps again because to CF!
That would be a shame! I checked your gallery but couldn't pull up any photos - not sure if it's the computer I'm on or not.

I was hoping to keep a picture of the Catalina 27 with sweeps on file so when the sometimes-asked question "How do you stay in shape on a boat?" came up, I could just paste it in
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 14:32   #22

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Phil Boldger experimented with putting a line from the oar to the deck to take the thrust. I think he was pleased with it. I do remember that he advocated them if the boat was long enough to not just wiggle back and forth as in very small dinghies. I think (memory a little fuzzy on this) that he said that the thrust was more continuous than rowing and that was one of the things that made it more efficient .
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:00   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I suggest you build a dinghy size model before trying to power the mother ship.
My understanding on these things is a dingy would swing wildly from side to side, whereas a big displacement boat such as my Valiant would just slowly start moving. I will try it on my dingy anyway though, as to not make a complete A$$ of me when I try to back out my Beth.
A couple ideas:

Mike, I think it would move a 15 ton displacement boat, as they use it to move fully laden junks in the orient...

I have seen a few of them (on the internet- so take it what it is worth) that are offset. Could you set it around all the junk we have on our tails as long as the center of effort is directly behind the boat? My first one is just going to be a simple oar with an extension set up with a homemade one of these:
Scullmatix - an automatic sculling device for boats
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
That would be a shame! I checked your gallery but couldn't pull up any photos - not sure if it's the computer I'm on or not.

I was hoping to keep a picture of the Catalina 27 with sweeps on file so when the sometimes-asked question "How do you stay in shape on a boat?" came up, I could just paste it in
I will look for photos, the problem is I use them mostly solo and never had time to take a picture. I am 700 miles from Beth right now, hunkerd beneath the snow....And I am not what you would call muscular. Just an old man who watches the wind and tide carefully.
BTW- can noone see my gallery? Do I have to repost the pictures?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37   #25

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

svBeth, I went to your profile page, clicked the gallery tab, and did not see any pictures. Just the one pic of yourself above the gallery tab.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:39   #26

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
My understanding on these things is a dingy would swing wildly from side to side, whereas a big displacement boat such as my Valiant would just slowly start moving. I will try it on my dingy anyway though, as to not make a complete A$$ of me when I try to back out my Beth.
A couple ideas:

Mike, I think it would move a 15 ton displacement boat, as they use it to move fully laden junks in the orient...

I have seen a few of them (on the internet- so take it what it is worth) that are offset. Could you set it around all the junk we have on our tails as long as the center of effort is directly behind the boat? My first one is just going to be a simple oar with an extension set up with a homemade one of these:
Scullmatix - an automatic sculling device for boats
Thanks Beth (Newt ... I didn't know you had morphed). I may order one of those Scullmatix joints just to play with. I can get our Rafiki moving quite well just by sculling with our rudder, so I'm hoping a yuloh would be even more effective. Maybe then I can give the diesel a heave-ho? (kidding, of course).
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42   #27

Early nineties Wooden Boat Magazine had a pretty good article on the subject discussing a couple regional variants and that also included a set of plans. Maybe '91 or '92 if anybody has back issues or an index and cares to look. I could be off on the dates though, was a while ago.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:32   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Single Oar propulsion - Yuloh, Ro, Scull...
Old 02-01-2016, 12:05   #29

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
This thread is for all those that want to build their own Yuloh's, sweeps and apply them to their cruisers. It is also the place for those that want to compare various forms of getting into the dock that is not the typical "start the engine, I can see port 5 miles ahead" response.
A very good how to is here:
How to Scull , Yuloh a Boat
And of course I love this because it shows a bigger boat with propulsion by yuloh:

So let's hear of your experiences with this. Is it better than sweeps? Have you made your own, and if so, where did you get your plans!
I have seen one Yuloh, on a 25' Vertue [no engine]...it worked well on that size boat, but stopping was an issue. Coming alongside he would have to move slower and slower to be able to fend off the dock. Also he could not make any headway against ANY current. Not stating the obvious, just an observation. He could get that little boat moving right along in flat calm, but lost headway against current or wind. I never saw him back out of a slip...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 22:21   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I have seen one Yuloh, on a 25' Vertue [no engine]...it worked well on that size boat, but stopping was an issue. Coming alongside he would have to move slower and slower to be able to fend off the dock. Also he could not make any headway against ANY current. Not stating the obvious, just an observation. He could get that little boat moving right along in flat calm, but lost headway against current or wind. I never saw him back out of a slip...
You would have to reverse the tilt of the Yuloh, and have it in a setting where the forces could be away from the traditional notch. This is interesting to me because I will have to design a fulcrum that will not only take stress against the stern, but also one that will "pull" the stern along.
Look at the joint they have here, you should be able to push and pull the boat with the same oarlock. Then again, we may have to design our own.
http://www.farreachvoyages.com/proje...inghyoars.html

Tags
dock, motor