Originally Posted by Folkboater
Well done Don, you have a neat set-up there. I notice you have extended sleeves on your oar stops to protect the oars and gunnels. I am repairing my oars right now, and after a coat of paint
I will sew on a leather sleave.
I also noticed you had to make mounting blocks, with fibgreglass coaming I got away with recessing rowlock plates nnto the cockpit
coaming just behind the winches.. but I need plugs to stop water
entering the quarterberth.
Yes, oars offer good speed adjustment and fine steering
Yes, those sleeves are purchased separately and are easily moved/removed and are sacrificial, though it takes a long time to wear them out. I added the blocks to provide a little more span between the locks but also, be aware that there can be a lot of strain and wear and tear on the hole or plates for the oarlock, so I'd recommend to be sure the hole in the coaming is up to it. So far the Trex plastic lumber
block seems dense and stout enough to handle the bronze lock rotating back and forth inside of it. I just drilled it out to fit the oarlock directly, no insert. If not, I will need to drill it out someday and put in a sleeve insert of PVC or something that would be replaceable too. I am thinking of giving that block double-duty if I can use the oar as an emergency rudder
, thus the slight over-build of it. Cheers!