Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 04:40   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Youthful enthusiasm or foolishness?

This story gives me mixed feelings.
First there is envy, that long lost feeling of youth that you are bullet proof and nothing is impossible. Then there is admiration, how there would be no advances if no one was prepared to test their boundaries. Then there is scorn at the foolishness to attempt something apparently so I'll prepared. Finally there is understanding, that wisdom only comes after many mistakes.
Missing yachtie safe on shore and not allowed to leave

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 02-10-2016, 04:59   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Youthful enthusiasm or foolishness?

The article does not say who called in rescuers. It seems to say that he was found in the same place twice. I'm confused by the article because it states that when rescuers approached he did not indicate he needed rescue.

Quote:
Mr DeWet had not been checking in via radio with a friend every 24 hours as he had promised.

Two searches were undertaken - on Monday and Thursday last week - but each time, he appeared in good spirits and his yacht was undamaged.
I can't condemn him for someone else deciding he needed to be found. Of course, he probably should have been checking in.....
Old 02-10-2016, 06:41   #3

I'd say neither - absent equipment failure, not sticking to agreed upon schedule is just a jerk move.
Old 02-10-2016, 17:00   #4

Boat: Lotus 10.6

His mate onshore set off the search when he reported that he hadnt heard from him.

You may be able to argue that the first search was necessary as the coasties didnt know what was going on. However after finding him once already and him not needing any rescue then why the f$&@&$k did they go out and do it again. Just stupid.

It gets worse when you realise that our Coast Guard are not cops like USA CG. Ours are volunteers. But they agreed to take MNZ and basically arrest this poor bastard for doing nothing wrong and force him over a bar which wasnt too safe at the time.

New Zealand Coast Guard have done some real damage to their reputation down here with sailors over this. They are normally highly respected as they are out there helping boaties and not being jack boot wearing thugs. But now they seem to be blurring the lines. Some have been saying they will cancel their membership of CG over it. Our CG need to decide if they want to be seen as helpers or enforcers, its their choice.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
NZGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 17:33   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Wow. So if you are out of VHF range in NZ that's cause to lock your boat up?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 18:00   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Wow. So if you are out of VHF range in NZ that's cause to lock your boat up?
No. It's failure to have good adherence to agreed upon protocol. Don't make a promise to make contact every 24hr with a person prone to calling rescue search.

They shouldn't stop him, should tell him to either call in as agreed, or don't makespromises with shore support or friends.
Old 02-10-2016, 18:05   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
No. It's failure to have good adherence to agreed upon protocol. Don't make a promise to make contact every 24hr with a person prone to calling rescue search.

They shouldn't stop him, should tell him to either call in as agreed, or don't makespromises with shore support or friends.
Agreed!

But a kinda over the top response from the authorities IMO.

Jim
Old 02-10-2016, 18:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

LOL, I gave a float plan to a good friend in KW. Got caught in a blow, got knocked down, broke the rig, surged up the 30 year old crap off the bottom of the fuel tank and killed all the filters, spent two days at anchor because it was too rough to move about below, much less on deck. In short was three days late; she still didn't call the Coasties, because she assumed I'd "figure it out" and make it in eventually. Obviously she has more faith in my abilities than she should have! FWIW, I'd prefer to have the friend who pulled the trigger prematurely than one who gives you a few extra days for "circumstances"
Old 02-10-2016, 18:19   #9

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZGrant View Post
His mate onshore set off the search when he reported that he hadnt heard from him.

You may be able to argue that the first search was necessary as the coasties didnt know what was going on. However after finding him once already and him not needing any rescue then why the f$&@&$k did they go out and do it again. Just stupid.

It gets worse when you realise that our Coast Guard are not cops like USA CG. Ours are volunteers. But they agreed to take MNZ and basically arrest this poor bastard for doing nothing wrong and force him over a bar which wasnt too safe at the time.

New Zealand Coast Guard have done some real damage to their reputation down here with sailors over this. They are normally highly respected as they are out there helping boaties and not being jack boot wearing thugs. But now they seem to be blurring the lines. Some have been saying they will cancel their membership of CG over it. Our CG need to decide if they want to be seen as helpers or enforcers, its their choice.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Interesting bit of extra background information.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-10-2016, 08:48   #10

Boat: Boatless

We lived in NZ and watched the Nanny state grow. I'm of mixed feelings as well. There are those that should not be out there period dot but.........it's a slippery slope when you let the government decide. Too much to write about here and I have to stop procrastinating and get busy :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

New Zealand has pretty severe requirements for NZ boats to go to sea. Have heard that many well found boats that have cruised long distances don't meet their regulations. Since they aren't NZ boats, they don't have to comply, though. Apparently it's not uncommon for the NZ CG to prevent a NZ registered boat that it deems unsafe from sailing offshore.

In this case, there is no evidence presented that the boat and skipper are unsafe. The whole problem is a nervous friend who keeps calling out the CG if the guy is a day late on a radio check.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09   #12

Boat: Seaward 25

I have to laugh about the part where his so called "rescues" cost the NZ taxpayers all that money. I am pretty sure that pilots and crew of those planes are required to log so many hours per month to stay current on their training. Opportunities like these, in good weather are perfect training exercises. Now, in bad weather, maybe not so much.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:28   #13

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
New Zealand has pretty severe requirements for NZ boats to go to sea. Have heard that many well found boats that have cruised long distances don't meet their regulations. Since they aren't NZ boats, they don't have to comply, though. Apparently it's not uncommon for the NZ CG to prevent a NZ registered boat that it deems unsafe from sailing offshore.

In this case, there is no evidence presented that the boat and skipper are unsafe. The whole problem is a nervous friend who keeps calling out the CG if the guy is a day late on a radio check.
The Coastguard in NZ has no authority to do anything. It is a bunch of volunteers. Their job is to rescue people. And when someone reports a missing boat then what would you expect the Coastguard to do? Surely it's irrelevant how many times they've already gone out to search for the same boat.

Here in NZ the Police issue the prevention order under the law, not Coastguard.

On the topic of boats able to be used for international trips that's an entirely different issue and it has nothing whatsoever to do with this case.

And I would have expected people on this forum to be a tad more aware that newspapers get it wrong, particular when the reporter knows nothing about matters nautical. There are several errors in the article.

And it is a very rare thing indeed for a boat to have a restriction placed on its use. The Police, as in any matter, usually don't share their reasons for their actions with anyone, other than the parties involved.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31   #14

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

SailingNewYorkCity7 days ago I don't see why the sailor is being blamed however the story is very incomplete. First, he was fine and didn't request assistance, so I am not sure why he is being blamed. Second, it sounds like someone panicked and started an unnecessary search.
Questions we must know before we blame him. First, what did he tell people? If he was just going for a nautical version of a walk about, then the fault doesn't lie with him. If on the other hand, he specified that he would arrived at a particular destination by a certain day and didn't, and of course didn't update those he gave his sail plan to, then he is likely guilty.
Second, what happened to his communications? It is not unusual for electronics to fail. I can't blame him for this, unless the failure was negligent.
Third, who panicked and called for a search? We don't know who called nor do we know why they called. From the sound of the article that we are directed to for slightly more information, he was clearly going for a walk about in a marine environment.
I think the original article jumped to incorrect conclusions, and it certainly sounds like the authorities are trying to blame him when they should have asked the above questions. Hopefully we'll get some more answers but I'm not holding my breath.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59   #15

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

"New Zealand Coast Guard have done some real damage to their reputation down here with sailors over this. They are normally highly respected as they are out there helping boaties and not being jack boot wearing thugs. But now they seem to be blurring the lines. Some have been saying they will cancel their membership of CG over it. Our CG need to decide if they want to be seen as helpers or enforcers, its their choice"

That is somewhat stretching the imagination.
But with every organization that is successful, the quest for power is inevitably the name of the game. Coast guard don't need to justify their existence, they already do a excellent job. What they do need to do is put a fee on their services when they are called out unnecessarily. ie the clown mate.
Whereas, OSH, are the thugs IMO, their exponential growth and need to justify their jobs has resulted in wrapping everyone in cotton wool.
Apart from patrolling building sites looking for errant workers they have little to do except make up new insane rules. It is self perpetuating.
Darwin will be rolling in his grave.

That said. I did put inform the CG once that I was solo and had minor engine problems and that I was towing myself back to the marina and would call back if I needed assistance. It was duly noted and said they would hold.
They came anyway, without letting me know, leaving me red faced.
This kind of response leads to not calling.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote