Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2010, 13:24   #31

Boat: Bruce Robert 360 - 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
It was a bit uncomfortable for me on the first day, as the winds had shifted from NE to SE the previous day, so still some swells coming from the north, but not as bad as getting torn from anchor and drifting into the gulf stream during hurricane ida, where I experienced my first 25' seas in the gulf stream. Much confidence in my boat after that though!

Old 11-02-2010, 13:43   #32

Boat: Bruce Robert 360 - 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
And before I get reprimanded for getting myself into that situation, let me explain how it happened, I was 7 days out of Ocracoke, and on the last day of my 7 day forecast, which hadn't predicted the low by n/s carolina hanging around, or the low from bahamas coming to meet it, we were cutting the edge of the gulf stream, about 125 miles out, to save on distance from hugging the coast, I noticed that something was wrong from cloud formations about 6 hours before it hit, and it was all i could do to get to 40' of water before gusts started hitting 60 knots, so was the forced to drop anchor. 2 small anchors, and my 25lb danforth emergancy anchor on 7/8 rode were torn free a day later, (probably because the eye of the storm pasted right over us, then circled us a few times, facing us one direction then the other) on the second day we started drifting into the gulf stream, luckly the wind was predominantly westerly by then, or we'd of ended up on the shore. I can throughly vouch for the sea worthyness of Columbias now! A few times an hour we'd get stuck side on and sent to 60o+ heel, but never capsized! By the third day the wind died down enough so that we could get more deisel from the jerrycans into the tank and motor to St. Augustine after 11 days at sea.

Tags
gulf stream

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: