Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 22:59   #31

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Would 4hp outboard push 36' monohull?

Reading between the lines it sounds like you have no need for an outboard, at this point in time.
I have an alternative suggestion.
Is it possible that there is someone you know, or could dredge up from somewhere around a marina who has a decent sized tender with eg a 9.9 or more who would help you in return for some cash reward? The right tender driven by a capable operator can be a very capalbe barge/tug. Once under sail you are ok until you re-enter. A couple of people on deck manouvering into final position ? Need to pick your weather of course
There is already plenty of engine damage done and you don't want a con-rod hanging out of the side of the block so my advice to you is to misplace the engine start key pronto.
It seems that right now you are pretty desperate to move and it seems that even when you do buy an outboard a 3.3 would do a similar job to a 4 at big weight and cost savings.

Surely for the price of a 4 you can buy some assistance, maybe a capable young kid with a little boat who'd love to go for a sail, get fed and who'd love some cash???
Plenty of fenders handy on deck in case of accidents.
Good luck.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 23:06   #32

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

AND in my opinion, bolting any motor to your your transom would be a total waste of money and destroy your boat irrespective of it's type or style.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:44   #33

That is probably not a safe thing to do, any wind or especially current against your keel area could easily overpower the motor. Any large waves will bring you to a standstill, I would never enter the ocean underpowered like that and I would be very observant of weather, tides and other currents on the inside channels.
Victory 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:06   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory 28 View Post
That is probably not a safe thing to do, any wind or especially current against your keel area could easily overpower the motor. Any large waves will bring you to a standstill, I would never enter the ocean underpowered like that and I would be very observant of weather, tides and other currents on the inside channels.
Agree, but engineless sailboats use to be the norm, not the exception. Folks have sailed around the world without any engines on their sailboats. Sign of a master mariner to do that. Of course time is not a factor. And weekend sailing does not make a master mariner, but perhaps a happier sailor.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:08   #35

"use oars or sweep"…..pardon my ignorance, I know what oars are and how to use 'em, but what the heck is "sweep"….is it sculling? (sp)
Gypsy Rose II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Rose II View Post
"use oars or sweep"…..pardon my ignorance, I know what oars are and how to use 'em, but what the heck is "sweep"….is it sculling? (sp)
Yes. A sweep is just a very long oar with a flat blade, sometimes with a curved end. Usually for steering in a current(thus you sweep the water), or to scull from the transom, or if the water is shallow, to pole along the side of the boat. They can also be used to "paddle" from the side. Generally 10 + feet long. Olden days common for sailboats to use them to maneuver inside a harbor. Not a lot of power but will move a moderate sized sailboat about 1-2 knots in a calm harbor.
Old 14-01-2016, 06:47   #37

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Agree, but engineless sailboats use to be the norm, not the exception. Folks have sailed around the world without any engines on their sailboats. Sign of a master mariner to do that. Of course time is not a factor. And weekend sailing does not make a master mariner, but perhaps a happier sailor.
Most modern marinas are laid out assuming engine control, thrusters, and zero wind. At my marina, no regard was given to the prevailing SW winds which blow hard every summer day, and harder in the spring and fall. So even with engines we have collisions just about every day of the season. Is it any wonder they ask for proof of insurance?

IMHO, most marinas are now laid out like parking lots. Very efficient from a profit point of view. Terrible for actual boating.

Before engines were common, many harbours had a steam packet (a small tow vessel) to help boats in and out. Also, boats would anchor out and wait for favorable conditions. The clock and calendar are no friend to the sailor, and many troubles have been caused by needing to be someplace. When I crossed the atlantic ocean, the only question the owner/skipper had for me was how long will it take...so he could book his flight home. 100 miles a day, and 1000 miles a week I told him. He hated that answer. He especially hated that answer when it proved to be right, within a few hours. Despite making his flight home, he could not comprehend a rule of thumb which did not incorporate vessel specifics, wind and sea conditions, etc.

Sorry for getting sidetracked.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 06:53   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What kind of engine do you have?
It sounds re-build able now, if you don't run it anymore, but maybe if you keep running it , it will do irreparable damage.
May be a good time to become intimately familiar with your engine and fix it?
Depending on engine and if you do all the work yourself, it's possible you could fix it for less than the cost of an outboard

It could just be a busted piston or similar
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 07:01   #39

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you really just need to get in/out of the marina, consider replacing your broken engine with an electric drive.

Electric drives are awesome, require no maintenance, don't need to be winterized, no filters, no noise, no throughulls, etc. The only drawback is range. You could add a few extra batteries instead of the old engine block, and you would be all set. And electric is quiet...imagine sneaking in/out without a sound. How great is that!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 08:10   #40

HAMBURKING raises an interesting issue about marina layouts and time. Sailing is probably on its way out as a sport, as it did for basic transportation, given the tyranny of time in our lives nowadays. Many of the modern sailboats look more like motor boats with a stick attached.
Old 14-01-2016, 09:07   #41

Boat: Oday 25

We are currently powering a 5000 lb boat with an extra long shaft 6 HP Hi thrust prop Tohatsu and can reach 5 knots. This will probable allow docking and the like with a 15,000 lb boat but not in heavy winds or 2+ knots of current. Then it get to be a risk
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:48   #42

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Lots of people suggesting it cannot be done. I guess they have not tried. Many are addressing situations other than the one you are facing.

I have done exactly what you are considering. I purchased a boat (43 feet, 22k displ) with a blown engine about 100 miles from home. Recruited several crewmembers. I got a fisherman from the Marina to give me a tow out into the bay. Sailed for a bit. Becalmed, put down the anchor to hold me against the current. Wind came back up and I sailed the rest of the way home. Was able to sail all the way into flat sheltered water. Where I was going was already familiar. I anchored out of the fairway, launched the dinghy and pushed her the last mile or two with an ancient 5 horse power Nissan on the inflatable tied to the quarter. Used the ship's rudder for maneuvering, the outboard for propulsion. Turned out fine. No sense of urgency or risk. Low traffic area. Approached the slip at dead slow speed. Bigger motor might have been better, but the 5 worked.

Another alternative to consider is SeaTow or TowBoat. They will not tow you out of the marina to open water, but will help you had enter your slip when you get home.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:37   #43

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
...consider replacing your broken engine with an electric drive.

Electric drives are awesome...
Come on!!!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:50   #44

Boat: Cal 2-27

i have a 6hp long shaft nissan on my 27' and it does what i need. tbh, on a boat as small as mine, for the type of sailing i do, i freaking hate inboards.

smelly
hard to work on
more maint
more maint
more maint
and finally, they are more maint.

i prefer ob on smaller boats. my 27 is as big as i feel comfortable with using an ob, but if your just getting in and out of a slip in good weather, youll be ok....the secret is to go slow. i singlehand most of the time and even with crew its easier for me to singlehand if they are not experienced. i dont even need reverse when i pull in 99% of the time. you become a pro at docking when you know you cant rely on the engine to help fix slight errors in judging speed or distance.

get it and go practice somewhere nobody is a round to damage until you feel comfortable before you head back to your slip.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:53   #45

Boat: Island Packet 35

I can only speak from my experiance as previously owning a Mac 26c with a 9.9 Johnson. If you have to reverse or stop short for some reason, forget it, your going aboard whatever is in front of you. The Mac was only a few k displacement and stopping or slowing quickly in the marina was difficult enough, not to mention with a bit of wind thrown in, 36' accident waiting to happen, I know i would be leary of you exit and entering.
Take that money and repair your inboard!!
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, outboard