Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2016, 10:36   #106
er9

Boat: 1980 Mariner36
Re: Would 4hp outboard push 36' monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
No, it isn't.
motors, even diesels suffer mechanical problems all the time. i read posts over and over from sailors suffering mechanical problems while cruising even when they maintain them in good running order. no matter how well you maintain an engine, problems occur it seems.

so you prefer what? i prefer another option thats reasonable and affordable. we dont all have the budget to retrofit our hulls for a secondary internal motor and i also dont like the idea of having to rely on a tow.

lets say your sailing to catalina. your a southern california sailor, your half way there and your engine go's. and the wind dies...what do you do? call in a buddy from the mainland and wait hours for him to come out and tow you while your bobbing around useless? call sea tow and do the same? why not drop an outboard on the transom and finish your trip? i just proved its not only doable but very doable. while your bobbing around waiting i'm sitting in two harbors having a beer at the bar.

i'd genuinely be interested in hearing your plan B. i'd like to always continue to learn and be better prepared. so please elaborate...despite the sarcasm in my reply i do want to know what i'm not understanding?

like i said earlier...it has its limitations but most people doing long range cruising are going to have an outboard for the dinghy any way. why not have one that can double as an EMERGENCY motor and give you a 150ish mile range?

it seems from my experience so far...some of the most dangerous sailing is navigating around coastal waters and being in control is paramount. barring a better option i like the idea of being able have something that can help me get through that zone and into safe harbor rather than nothing at all. its what i can afford, and it works until i learn of a better option.

Old 30-05-2016, 10:48   #107

Boat: Columbia 36

I've towed my 36 foot, 12000 pound boat with a 3.5 hp outboard on the dinghy. In an emergency. It got me in, but I would not set out that way on purpose.

Old 30-05-2016, 10:55   #108

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
I'm looking at a 4hp outboard as a way to get my sailboat in and out of the slip/marina temporarily...cost is an issue...
Quote:
...engine was a new mercury 9.9...pushed me at a steady 3-4 knots...it is a viable option...my boat is 36' and 20,000 lbs.
Quote:
...i do want to know what i'm not understanding?..why not have one that can double as an EMERGENCY motor...its what i can afford...
Because you can't afford an adequate motor does not make a 10-hp outboard "a viable option" for a 10-ton boat. It is an option for a dinghy, if that dinghy is not too big.

Just in case someone else reads this and thinks yours is a great idea to be emulated. In an emergency, there are many options. Getting to Catalina Island, in a hurry for a beer, is not considered an emergency.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 11:10   #109
er9

Quote:
Because you can't afford an adequate motor does not make a 10-hp outboard "a viable option" for a 10-ton boat. It is an option for a dinghy, if that dinghy is not too big.

Just in case someone else reads this and thinks yours is a great idea to be emulated. In an emergency, there are many options. Getting to Catalina Island, in a hurry for a beer, is not considered an emergency.
ok then i suppose you have nothing better to offer....thanks for your contribution i guess???
Old 30-05-2016, 12:40   #110
er9

Quote:

ok let me back a bit and apologize to you Terra Nova. i got sidetracked a bit and didn't see your point clearly. let me re-state my position and maybe confirm yours.

on my part...it was probably dangerous and reckless to rely on a 10hp motor for three days not knowing what i might be up against. in that regard NO i absolutely do not recommend anyone do the same without a working inboard engine. I did carefully watch the weather prior and made an educated decision to attempt this trip with as carefull of planning as i could. sticking close to shore and making nightly stay overs in marinas was a part of thatas well as the kind support of others ashore in various locations.

it all worked out well and i felt relatively confident with the support and contingency plans i had in place for the trip. that being said i think my point moved away from making the trip only on that motor to just having one aboard in a 'just in case' scenario.

from my experience i'm completely convinced having the 10hp outboard aboard as a backup to the main is still valuable and a good option, you may still disagree..thats fine i dont have a problem with that. i am concerned i might mislead people into thinking thats all they need. i think maybe that was your point...if so thank you for reminding me and everyone else. i did not intend to mislead anyone into a dangerous situation.
Old 30-05-2016, 13:13   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Big THANK YOU to the OP for updating us with real life experience.

I am in the same boat and at a point in the future we will have to opt for either a small diesel $$$ or an outboard $. Our boat sails very well and we just need the engine out and in the marina (as a general rule). The benefit of just lifting the engine out of the water (no prop drag ...) and the weight savings ... and then the extra space inside that we could allocate to a huge water tank ...

Many, many thanks for your posts!
b.

Tags
hull, monohull, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: