Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 21:38   #61
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Would 4hp outboard push 36' monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Lots of people suggesting it cannot be done. I guess they have not tried. Many are addressing situations other than the one you are facing.

I have done exactly what you are considering. I purchased a boat (43 feet, 22k displ) with a blown engine about 100 miles from home. Recruited several crewmembers. I got a fisherman from the Marina to give me a tow out into the bay. Sailed for a bit. Becalmed, put down the anchor to hold me against the current. Wind came back up and I sailed the rest of the way home. Was able to sail all the way into flat sheltered water. Where I was going was already familiar. I anchored out of the fairway, launched the dinghy and pushed her the last mile or two with an ancient 5 horse power Nissan on the inflatable tied to the quarter. Used the ship's rudder for maneuvering, the outboard for propulsion. Turned out fine. No sense of urgency or risk. Low traffic area. Approached the slip at dead slow speed. Bigger motor might have been better, but the 5 worked.

Another alternative to consider is SeaTow or TowBoat. They will not tow you out of the marina to open water, but will help you had enter your slip when you get home.
good stuff...i'm seriously considering a tow in if and when the time comes. both harbours are pretty easy enrty and exit. i watched another boater who is across the slip from my friend (who is a terrible sailor) sail in with jib when motor quit. she was doing quite well. going really, really slow but she said thats how you do it.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 21:41   #62

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
good question. iv'e sculled a 22' in the slip to manuever it but never to enter a slip. maybe a long pole like those italian gondoliers....i could sing songs in indecipherable italian babble while i enter slip and maybe people would throw money at me? might be able to afford a new engine if i can sing really well...
There is semi-standardized confusion among and between the terms. Some, including me, refer to a sweep as a long, single oar, that reaches over the stern with the pivot point in the transom, that can be used to propel the boat by sculling -moving the oar from side to side. Heck on occasion in the past, I've even used the tiller and rudder to scull a very short distance in a calm. I do not think I'd do the latter on a 36 footer, and never with a wheel.

Rather than me typing more, why don't you look up the terms (as words or perhaps phrases) on Wikipedia?
Old 15-01-2016, 21:41   #63
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
[Disclaimer: I have not read all the replies, so this might be redundant]

I've actually got something meaningful to contribute here, don't feel like such a noob now.

As you may or may not know Taleisin has no engine. This has provided me with a huge amount of challenges to date. Getting her in and out of the marina was less than trivial. I'm by no means an expert, but I was on board with an expert when we moved her with a 2.5hp out board on cheeky. It is doable, but you need to know what you're doing.

I've invested in an inflatable and an 8hp motor to help me along, since I need more experience before I take on larger risks...

I've written a blog post about how to get out of the marina using this system:

Moving Day... – The new adventures of Taleisin

Coming back in you'd have to time cutting the engine and letting the dinghy go at the right time so you have just enough way to make it back into the slip.
much thanks for your contribution...will check that out...very interesting idea of using the lines around pilings to exit slip...would not have thought of that...good stuff.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:39   #64

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Quote:
much thanks for your contribution...will check that out...very interesting idea of using the lines around pilings to exit slip...would not have thought of that...good stuff.
I can't take the credit for the idea. I believe warping is as old as sailing... You just don't see much written about it in this day and age with engines being the norm.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:48   #65

Fitting an engine will open up cruising grounds that would be unobtainable to you otherwise.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:02   #66

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
good stuff...i'm seriously considering a tow in if and when the time comes. both harbours are pretty easy enrty and exit. i watched another boater who is across the slip from my friend (who is a terrible sailor) sail in with jib when motor quit. she was doing quite well. going really, really slow but she said thats how you do it.
with each thread you write, er9, I wonder what in the hell were you thinking when you bought a sailboat.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 14:11   #67

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbogie View Post
with each thread you write, er9, I wonder what in the hell were you thinking when you bought a sailboat.
Well, I suspect er9 bought a sailboat so they could enjoy sailing it. And part of that process involves learning, and er9 is learning.

Hardly a pleasant comment from you jrbogie, we all learn in our own way. Please keep it civil.
Old 18-01-2016, 14:57   #68

Boat: Taswell 49

Fix your inboard...
Old 18-01-2016, 15:26   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, I suspect er9 bought a sailboat so they could enjoy sailing it. And part of that process involves learning, and er9 is learning.

Hardly a pleasant comment from you jrbogie, we all learn in our own way. Please keep it civil.
I suppose you missed his several other posts where I and others spent some time advising him that his wishes for bigger boats were a might bit more grandiose than his limited experience and financial resources called for. and he was talking then of boats thirty feet and under. now he's back with a thirty six footer with an engine he can't seem to afford to fix and again looking for the cheapest band aide. a 4-6 hp outboard?

yes we all do learn our own way and er9's way of learning is to come to these forums for advice from sailors with decades of experience only to ignore everybody who bothered to spend their time to help him out. of course the only likely difference between you and I is how we view what is and is not civil. you're free to ignore any further remarks I may or may not make.
Old 18-01-2016, 15:28   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by George P View Post
Fix your inboard...
my guess is that that's not an option.
Old 18-01-2016, 15:32   #71

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If you shop for yachts at the police impound...you might be a redneck.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:04   #72

Boat: Bristol 27

yes it would.........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:28   #73

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
I'm looking at a 4hp outboard as a way to get my sailboat in and out of the slip/marina temporarily. engine is not running so i need to be able to leave slip and motor just far enough to raise sails. also will need it to return.

im considering a 4hp or 6hp. cost is an issue thats why i'm considering the cheaper 4hp. it would eventually just be a dinghy motor/emergency backup. for now i just need something mounted to the transom as a temporary engine.

do you think a 4hp outboard on the transom would be powerfull enough to move a 16,000lb boat? obviously dont need to go very fast just be able to keep it under control in the protected channel.
It would in "very" Calm conditions. But dont expect it to stop you in a hurry.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:35   #74

If you are too poor to get the engine fixed or replaced; perhaps you are too poor to own a sailboat? Face up to reality.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:42   #75

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

did anyone read the part where he just needs to move the boat from a distant to nearby marina whereupon he can address the engine issue definitively?
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, outboard