Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 11:36   #46

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter
Re: Would 4hp outboard push 36' monohull?

[Disclaimer: I have not read all the replies, so this might be redundant]

I've actually got something meaningful to contribute here, don't feel like such a noob now.

As you may or may not know Taleisin has no engine. This has provided me with a huge amount of challenges to date. Getting her in and out of the marina was less than trivial. I'm by no means an expert, but I was on board with an expert when we moved her with a 2.5hp out board on cheeky. It is doable, but you need to know what you're doing.

I've invested in an inflatable and an 8hp motor to help me along, since I need more experience before I take on larger risks...

I've written a blog post about how to get out of the marina using this system:

Moving Day... – The new adventures of Taleisin

Coming back in you'd have to time cutting the engine and letting the dinghy go at the right time so you have just enough way to make it back into the slip.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 14:02   #47

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Most modern marinas are laid out assuming engine control, thrusters, and zero wind. At my marina, no regard was given to the prevailing SW winds which blow hard every summer day, and harder in the spring and fall. So even with engines we have collisions just about every day of the season. Is it any wonder they ask for proof of insurance?

IMHO, most marinas are now laid out like parking lots. Very efficient from a profit point of view. Terrible for actual boating.

Before engines were common, many harbours had a steam packet (a small tow vessel) to help boats in and out. Also, boats would anchor out and wait for favorable conditions. The clock and calendar are no friend to the sailor, and many troubles have been caused by needing to be someplace. When I crossed the atlantic ocean, the only question the owner/skipper had for me was how long will it take...so he could book his flight home. 100 miles a day, and 1000 miles a week I told him. He hated that answer. He especially hated that answer when it proved to be right, within a few hours. Despite making his flight home, he could not comprehend a rule of thumb which did not incorporate vessel specifics, wind and sea conditions, etc.

Sorry for getting sidetracked.
Well worth the side track. The OP & others should have learnt something from you.
I know I did ......learn heaps AND it bought back plenty of memories. Thanks & keep on side trackin'
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 14:17   #48

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
[Disclaimer: I have not read all the replies, so this might be redundant]

I've actually got something meaningful to contribute here, don't feel like such a noob now.

As you may or may not know Taleisin has no engine. This has provided me with a huge amount of challenges to date. Getting her in and out of the marina was less than trivial. I'm by no means an expert, but I was on board with an expert when we moved her with a 2.5hp out board on cheeky. It is doable, but you need to know what you're doing.

I've invested in an inflatable and an 8hp motor to help me along, since I need more experience before I take on larger risks...

I've written a blog post about how to get out of the marina using this system:

Moving Day... – The new adventures of Taleisin

Coming back in you'd have to time cutting the engine and letting the dinghy go at the right time so you have just enough way to make it back into the slip.
Great hearing from the new owners of one of the greatest cruising boats ever written about! I've been a big fan for a long time. In fact this just got me to pull out my old copies of The Self Sufficient Sailor & The Capable Cruiser, 2 of my all time favorite books.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 14:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Great hearing from the new owners of one of the greatest cruising boats ever written about! I've been a big fan for a long time. In fact this just got me to pull out my old copies of The Self Sufficient Sailor & The Capable Cruiser, 2 of my all time favorite books.
I certainly feel the same way. Taleisin is probably one of the few hand built boats with comprehensive owners manuals! Those books are certainly coming in handy, we're hauling Taleisin out in 2 weeks time and doing some sanding and painting... bound to be hard work, but surely it will be rewarding...

[Apologies for side tracking]
Old 14-01-2016, 15:22   #50

Boat: Scout 30

This brings up an interesting point. Did you talk to Larry about installing a motor or did you have to promise never to do it? I looked up Seraffyn just to see if she was still around & there's an outboard bracket on her stern. BLASPHEMY! ...but functional
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 16:07   #51

Quote:
This brings up an interesting point. Did you talk to Larry about installing a motor or did you have to promise never to do it? I looked up Seraffyn just to see if she was still around & there's an outboard bracket on her stern. BLASPHEMY! ...but functional
Rather than hi-jack this thread I've created a new thread and answered the question there: Ask me about Taleisin... - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 14-01-2016, 20:33   #52

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
If it the same one, it is stainless and the owner had it bronze plated to fit in.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 22:10   #53

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Something just hit me. Watch out for the smoke! Air pollution people might hit you with a citation and the possibility of a huge fine. Good luck - may you have fair winds and seas.
Old 15-01-2016, 21:12   #54
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
There is already plenty of engine damage done and you don't want a con-rod hanging out of the side of the block so my advice to you is to misplace the engine start key pronto.

Plenty of fenders handy on deck in case of accidents.
Good luck.
lol....truly words of wisdom. if my final/post survey offer is accepted then i will heed the warnings and not use the main what-so-ever. final plans if i end up with boat are a bit in flux now. may opt for a tow. if my offer is accepted boat will be going quickly to haul out. might go for year membership wit sea tow and call in for a tow on return.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 21:15   #55
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Agree, but engineless sailboats use to be the norm, not the exception. Folks have sailed around the world without any engines on their sailboats. Sign of a master mariner to do that. Of course time is not a factor. And weekend sailing does not make a master mariner, but perhaps a happier sailor.
yes motor would just be for first couple hundred yards. i can sail out of channel to open sea. could probably dock under sail in an emergency but would really prefer not trying single handed on a boat thats new to me. could be bad for bow and dock.
Old 15-01-2016, 21:16   #56

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Just to move the boat between its slip and the haulout yard, within the harbor, can easily be done using an inflatable with small motor as a tug.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 21:18   #57
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Rose II View Post
"use oars or sweep"…..pardon my ignorance, I know what oars are and how to use 'em, but what the heck is "sweep"….is it sculling? (sp)
good question. iv'e sculled a 22' in the slip to manuever it but never to enter a slip. maybe a long pole like those italian gondoliers....i could sing songs in indecipherable italian babble while i enter slip and maybe people would throw money at me? might be able to afford a new engine if i can sing really well...
Old 15-01-2016, 21:24   #58
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What kind of engine do you have?
It sounds re-build able now, if you don't run it anymore, but maybe if you keep running it , it will do irreparable damage.
May be a good time to become intimately familiar with your engine and fix it?
Depending on engine and if you do all the work yourself, it's possible you could fix it for less than the cost of an outboard

It could just be a busted piston or similar
well the problem with that scenario is that the boat is in a slip in a distant marina. to keep it slipped there until i could learn and accomplish that task may take a couple of months or more. this would add a couple of thousand dollars to that scenario as marinas here want first month rent and a security deposit up front with key deposits etc...etc...etc.... thats why i would want to get boat out of that marina pronto...i dont have deep pockets, every dollar counts. not to mention the very long drive back and forth every weekend...i'd be lucky to be able to get 10 hours of true work time in a weekend.
Old 15-01-2016, 21:31   #59
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If you really just need to get in/out of the marina, consider replacing your broken engine with an electric drive.

Electric drives are awesome, require no maintenance, don't need to be winterized, no filters, no noise, no throughulls, etc. The only drawback is range. You could add a few extra batteries instead of the old engine block, and you would be all set. And electric is quiet...imagine sneaking in/out without a sound. How great is that!
i'm not convinced electric motors are ready for prime time yet. range would be a huge factor as i would like to cross oceans in the next few years. i think they make perfect back up engines and would seriously consider one for that purpose or when i was only sailing local waters. maybe i'm behind the curve though.
Old 15-01-2016, 21:32   #60
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
HAMBURKING raises an interesting issue about marina layouts and time. Sailing is probably on its way out as a sport, as it did for basic transportation, given the tyranny of time in our lives nowadays. Many of the modern sailboats look more like motor boats with a stick attached.
thats why i want an oldie from 1980 :P

Tags
hull, monohull, outboard