Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2016, 11:33   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Would 4hp outboard push 36' monohull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
I'm looking at a 4hp outboard as a way to get my sailboat in and out of the slip/marina temporarily. engine is not running so i need to be able to leave slip and motor just far enough to raise sails. also will need it to return.

im considering a 4hp or 6hp. cost is an issue thats why i'm considering the cheaper 4hp. it would eventually just be a dinghy motor/emergency backup. for now i just need something mounted to the transom as a temporary engine.

do you think a 4hp outboard on the transom would be powerfull enough to move a 16,000lb boat? obviously dont need to go very fast just be able to keep it under control in the protected channel.
You will be able to move it but it will take ages to get any way on.

You will have no control or manoeuverability in calm conditions.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 13-01-2016, 12:02   #17

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Yes. Use it on the dingy with it tied to the quarter rather than transom mounted. You will get 2-3kn in calm weather and it will not be possible if it is windy. Swapping the prop for a low pitch one will help. On the other hand if you can get an end berth just sail in and have the dingy set up 'just in case'. You might also be able to negotiate with the marina to book there boat. They probably have a rigid with a 25-50hp on the back for moving boats around. If you talk to them they may be prepared to do it for a reasonable price rather than the very high one most charge in 'emergencies'.

Old 13-01-2016, 12:22   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Short answer: NO. 4hp is not enough for a boat your size.

Any kind of wind, current, or waves, and you would be in trouble.

When the engine went on my C&C25, I learned to sail into and out of my marina slip. Its actually easier than you may think...and nice and quiet. I've sailed up to many docks with my Pearson 30. Of course it depends on the layout of your marina.

A better plan would be to move to a mooring ball...its easy enough to sail on/off of one of those.
Old 13-01-2016, 12:47   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

No. Its real simple, you will need it when things are less then terrific- adverse wind, tide or both. Your little motor will be better then jumping overboard with a line but not by enough to matter. If moving the boat is a priority upgrade to a 9.9. Overpowers your dinghy, inconveniently heavy, but will do the job if needed. Its all about your priorities.
Old 13-01-2016, 16:10   #20

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I have a 36 footer which last year I needed to bring it in to the marina a mere 30 m's away when my engine was not working at the time. I used the club dingy with a 5.5hp on board and easily brought it in to the marina. BUT, there was no wind and I'm guessing it was also slack tide, either low or high, can't remember, but no current at all.

A few months later, having done it once I tried it again, with this time a little chop, not much, just a little and it was a struggle to get it to the jetty and when I did get it to the jetty the current, whilst not real strong was pressent and I just could not get it near the jetty. I completely lost control of it and ended up struggling to put it back on the mooring instead.

So, my advice is 'no', it's not strong enough.
Old 13-01-2016, 16:22   #21

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

It depends in no small part on your sailing abilities. Many have sailed from port to port without engines, sometimes using oars or sweeps for the tight maneuvers on departure and arrival. If all you need is in and out of the slip it is probably doable with the small engine If it is out of/back in the marina, it may work, but requires a bit more information for reasonable prognostication, and is certainly a bigger problem since when you can select the conditions under which you will depart, but the option is mostly removed upon return Solo or otherwise also makes a difference too. Good luck and much enjoyment whatever you decide.
Old 13-01-2016, 17:40   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes it will but you assume a quiet day and no/very little current.

b.
Old 13-01-2016, 20:48   #23
er9

Boat: 1980 Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Repair the engine. A 36' boat needs about 25 hp. Don't screw up the boat with an outboard.
cant afford to...thats why i'm going with plan B. The engine does run reasonable well (starts very quickly) its just there is something going on with it (tons of thick blue smoke and loud clanking sound deep in engine). I would probably use it to enter and exit slip only. need small outbard really just to navigate inner channel close to slip....last couple hundred feet i would go to main engine.

i will need to move boat from san diego to my harbour in marina del rey (100 miles or so) if i do buy it. once im in my slip in marina del rey i will have all the time in the world to fix engine....just need to get it there.
Old 13-01-2016, 21:01   #24

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Forget about a 4hp motor making that trip.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 21:07   #25
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
cant afford to...thats why i'm going with plan B. The engine does run reasonable well (starts very quickly) its just there is something going on with it (tons of thick blue smoke and loud clanking sound deep in engine). I would probably use it to enter and exit slip only. need small outbard really just to navigate inner channel close to slip....last couple hundred feet i would go to main engine.

i will need to move boat from san diego to my harbour in marina del rey (100 miles or so) if i do buy it. once im in my slip in marina del rey i will have all the time in the world to fix engine....just need to get it there.
Thick BLUE smoke and clanking? I am going with broken rings.

Relying on this engine for the last and most critical bit of the journey sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The rings drop something in the crank and you have a seized engine, just when you need manoeuvrability.

I sympathise with your budget concerns, but I would suggest either an older second-hand outboard of at least 15HP or just focussing on getting the existing engine attended to. I feel like spending the money on the 4HP is just a way of buying a really big repair bill or insurance excess claim.

Matt
Old 13-01-2016, 21:09   #26
er9

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
It depends in no small part on your sailing abilities. Many have sailed from port to port without engines, sometimes using oars or sweeps for the tight maneuvers on departure and arrival. If all you need is in and out of the slip it is probably doable with the small engine If it is out of/back in the marina, it may work, but requires a bit more information for reasonable prognostication, and is certainly a bigger problem since when you can select the conditions under which you will depart, but the option is mostly removed upon return Solo or otherwise also makes a difference too. Good luck and much enjoyment whatever you decide.
much thanks....i can sail very close to slip (80% of the inner channel) on sail alone (with two people, have never done it solo). we often sail into the main channel on sail power/engine and almost always exit the same way. It really would be the last 20% of the distance when i have to navigate through a couple of smaller channels to the actual slip. i honestly dont know what the current is like but it never seems very strong. as i mentioned in a previous reply i could turn on and use the main in an emergency and probably would use it for final docking. i actually do know how to dock technically on jib alone and have been with people who have...i have just never tried it myself. i'm confident i could jts just engine would be so much less anxiety...especially since i would most likely be alone.
Old 13-01-2016, 21:11   #27
er9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Forget about a 4hp motor making that trip.
thanks i think i will go 6hp minimum based on all replies but will look for 9.9 first and only go 6hp if i cant find one in time.
Old 13-01-2016, 21:19   #28
er9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thick BLUE smoke and clanking? I am going with broken rings.

Relying on this engine for the last and most critical bit of the journey sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The rings drop something in the crank and you have a seized engine, just when you need manoeuvrability.

I sympathise with your budget concerns, but I would suggest either an older second-hand outboard of at least 15HP or just focussing on getting the existing engine attended to. I feel like spending the money on the 4HP is just a way of buying a really big repair bill or insurance excess claim.

Matt
thank you for your candid reply glad i asked. going to look for used engine with higher hp instead. it would be nice if i could use it to dock rather than main.
Old 13-01-2016, 21:32   #29
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
thank you for your candid reply glad i asked. going to look for used engine with higher hp instead. it would be nice if i could use it to dock rather than main.
If you can find one with a "pusher" or "high thrust" prop all the better. To me it is always about grip, not horsepower.

Particularly when you need reverse in a hurry.
Old 13-01-2016, 22:42   #30

This is a bad idea but you seem determined, Godspeed.

Tags
hull, monohull, outboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: