Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 07:23   #1

Boat: Outbound 521
Windlass issue

Ok, I made a bobo, trying to help my wife, we were in a tight anchoring position and the windlass quit on me when I tried to drag the boat with it. Now I hear the the click but no activity from the windlass. It is a Lewmar HC1012 1000 W 15 Amp, no fuse on the panel. Any guidance will appreciated and no I will not do that again.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:52   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Windlass issue

The breaker is 90+% sure to be tripped.

Look for a bigger breaker as there is no way your windlass is protected by a 15 amp breaker on the panel. On my boat there is windlass power breaker on the panel, but that is just for the control relays (that's what's going click for you). There is a separate windlass breaker that protects the windlass motor itself and that's the one that trips when you overload the system and it is normally close to the batteries themselves and may be hidden some (mine is under the nav desk and you have to be on your knees under the table to see it).
Old 14-07-2016, 08:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Once you find that CB, get in the habit of leaving it open when not using the Windlass.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:24   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Once you find that CB, get in the habit of leaving it open when not using the Windlass.
Why would someone do that? Covered switches are common.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Why would someone do that? Covered switches are common.
Couple of reasons, for whatever treason the relay can trip or stick powering the windlass and mechanical damage could result, the other is it's a very high amperage power supply, I think mine is 100 amp, maybe higher, but certainly high enough if shorted to start a fire.
Then admittedly I am of the habit of leaving unused circuits powered off, I see downsides to leaving it powered, but none for not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:58   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

Then I guess you have a resettable breaker for the starter, alternator too? I've heard of relays not closing but never one that spontaneously closed unless it was a NC relay. It's just one more thing to remember.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 09:00   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I normally turn off power for the control relays, but not the main power to the windlass motor. I don't really have any reason that I can't talk both for or against doing it other than it is a PITA to get to the main breaker.
Old 14-07-2016, 09:23   #8

Boat: Outbound 521

Thank you everyone for your guidance, the reset of the breaker works, I will keep in mind where it is located from now on. This is the reason I like this CruisersForum. Simple answer and to the fact. Good thing they breakers against the user's stupidity.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass