Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2006, 06:02   #1

Boat: Oyster Mariner 11.3m. Jigsaw of Gosport
Question Wind steering with hyrdaulics????

Are Hydrovane and Windpilots Pacific Plus the only options for wind vane self steering on a sailboat that has hydraulic steering?

I have tried to look at the various websites and can only see these two that specify that they work with hydraulic main steering, this is due to the problem of needing to lock the main rudder up to avoid hydraulic slip.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 14:12   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
My hyd. steering comes with a hyd steering lock. You could install a shut off valve in the cockpit to lock the cylinder in location.
delmarrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:57   #3

Boat: Oyster Mariner 11.3m. Jigsaw of Gosport
Hyrdaulics

Yes, I can lock my hydraulic steering too, but I cannot find many wind vane steering systems that will work in conjunction with this set up. As most steer via the wheel or tiller it appears to me, with my very limited experience of vane steering, that I need an auxillary rudder system, such as Hydrovane.

These will work by the vanes own rudder providing the steering once the boat has been well set up on the main steering and the wheel locked in a balanced position.

I am trying to fit out the boat for an extended trip and I am examining the options for self steering. Of the numerous wind vanes on the market I cannot find many that even suggest that they will work with our main steering system.

It may be, in the longer term, more advantagous to purchase a powerful electronic auto pilot and invest in significant power generating gear, solar panels, wind generator etc. to ensure that the boats batteries have enough grunt to power it day in and day out.
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:18   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
What about the Hydrovane? Their advertising claims that they are highly regarded by experienced cruisers. Their vanes have elegant machining and seem well made, but do they work well? I've never known anyone who had one.
Richard Black
S/V Saeta
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 21:22   #5
Kai Nui

Sayes Rig works well with hydraulic as long as you have at least 48" from the rudder to the transom.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:48   #6
GreatKetch

I think you understand the problem. Wind vanes can not use the hydraulic streeting system to turn the wheel because of the slip inherent in a hydraulic system.

I think there are only four alternatives:

1. An auxillary rudder style. (e.g. Hydrovane)

2. Turning the rudder directly, i.e. the Sayes Rig.

3. A custom "trim-tab" style addition to you rudder. Depending on the type of rudder and the level of mechanical expertise available this might be impractical.

4. Connecting any other type of servo-pendulem windvane using the emergency tiller or other connection directly to the rudder post or quadrant. This is likely to be the best, but most expensive and potentially disruptive arrangement.

Not having any direct experience with this kind of interface, I'll leave it to others to give you the pros and cons of the various systems. I'd strongly suggest that you talk with someone who has REAL experience with windvanes on you particular boat, or at least one of a similar size and rig under the conditions you plan to use it. What might work in light winds might not in heavy weather and vis versa.

You have a large and heavy boat. Be sure that the advice you are getting is appropriate. Maybe the manufactureer can help with suggestions or put you in touch with other owners?

You might also consider buying the book The Windvane Sef-Steering Handbook by Bill Morris.
Old 05-02-2007, 00:38   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Autohelm

http://www.selfsteer.com/products/autohelm/index.php

My friend has one on his Morgan OI 41, hydraulic steering. He is happy with it.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw
Are Hydrovane and Windpilots Pacific Plus the only options for wind vane self steering on a sailboat that has hydraulic steering?

I have tried to look at the various websites and can only see these two that specify that they work with hydraulic main steering, this is due to the problem of needing to lock the main rudder up to avoid hydraulic slip.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:05   #8

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I lived with a hydrovane for 8 years and 40,000 miles. It steered the whole time, needed practically no maintenance, steered in 5kn winds and 100 kn winds. I would go for a hydrovane over autopilot any day of the week.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 16:16   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
You need to go direct to rudder with a pendulum/servo gear. Can either go to the quadrant or stub tiller. Look at Allied Seawind II to see ways you can set it up.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 18:09   #10

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Slip in the hydraulic system

Why do you tolerate slip in your hydaulic system? Who puts up with brakes on a vehicle where the pedal slowly slips to the floor? If you had that happen you would fix it pronto!

If your system did that when new then there is a problem either with the ram or with the pump. If it did not then I suspect that the ram needs to have new seals installed.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote