Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2018, 07:39   #46

Re: Why is the rudder ineffective in steering the boat?

Boatman:

Yes, While I was plotting the CE on the Ozzie boat, I was thinking that her handling would be vastly improved by employing a fractional rig - say 3/4 - but of course, in practice, just wearing a smaller jib will have the same effect.

When you compare the canoe-body of the two boats, it is very plain that the Thomas boat will be far better behaved, even though it, too, is far too "fat" for my liking. A beam to length ratio approaching 1:2 must necessarily affect handling adversely.

Thanx for looking up the Thomas Boat.

By the way: I'm aware of the ambiguity of the term "hard chine". In my vocabulary "hard chine" can mean, as I meant it here, a tight radius to the transition twixt bottom and side. Maybe I'll start saying "hard turn of the bilge" instead :-). In boats like these, whether the transition is one or the other really doesn't matter. Handling will be adversely affected. You see the same effect, accompanied by the same dangers, in boats in the 27-foot class where the designer has striven for a floating caravan. If one insists on pouring a pint of ale into a half-pint glass, as designers of 23-foot boats must necessarily do, something has to give. Almost always, that would be "handling".

As the popularity of "yachting" rose, half a century ago, it became possible for manufacturers to "sell into a market of ignorance", and all manner of gimps became merchantable. I consider that a great shame :-)

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 22:07   #47

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic
Re: Why is the rudder ineffective in steering the boat?

I'm assuming that this is a NEW problem?
Had a similar issue with my Dufour 35, Whitlock wheel steering. Turned out that the 14mm clamping bolt where the steering arm connected to the rudder shaft had sheared off, leaving the lever arm a little loose! Worked most of the time but the steering was random at time, good fun when approaching a mooring or berth
Easy fix once diagnosed, machined up a new bolt, but working in the void spaces behind the after cabin needed a contortionist with 1200mm long arms. Have a look at your rudder post etc.
RW
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, rudder, steering