Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35   #31

Re: Why do sailors not butterfly their coils?

I have found butterflying to loop and knot on itself more often on long lines.... mostly 3 strand though. As you are letting it out, each loop tries to grab the adjacent one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:35   #32

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Thanks JDEGE and Jackdale. I needed that since I have been screwing up line for a long time. I saw something about garden hoses, would this also work if you had a hose bib or hanger?
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:59   #33

Folding electrical cords works well; not so much with shore power cords.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:36   #34

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have found butterflying to loop and knot on itself more often on long lines.... mostly 3 strand though. As you are letting it out, each loop tries to grab the adjacent one.
I've found that my butterfly coils will tangle themselves if I'm not careful about making all the loops the same length.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:42   #35

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

Hello,
How does a butterflied line pay out when you throw it? Especially throw it up to a larger ship? I was taught to hand loop a heaving line giving it a slight roll clockwise of the line in my fingers. We also flaked and coiled our tie up lines on deck.
Good luck
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:43   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I've found that my butterfly coils will tangle themselves if I'm not careful about making all the loops the same length.
Very true. Unless you can hold 200 ft of backup or stern anchor rode carefully, loops always slip and are no longer the same length, ditto if you lay it on deck.

Old 02-05-2016, 15:47   #37

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Very true. Unless you can hold 200 ft of backup or stern anchor rode carefully, loops always slip and are no longer the same length, ditto if you lay it on deck.
The climbers' tricks of wrapping around the neck have worked for me, but I've only used them in non-nautical applications.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:58   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have always just coiled in figure-8. Its easy, can do it in the dark, never tangles. Watching the demo, its the same with another name. One half-coil forward - one half coil reversed. The issue is that I would NEVER wrap a rope around my neck on a boat. I have coiled (flaked) lines this way for over 40 years. You can throw one of my lines months after its been stowed and it will run without kinks or twists.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 19:46   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have always just coiled in figure-8. Its easy, can do it in the dark, never tangles. Watching the demo, its the same with another name. One half-coil forward - one half coil reversed. The issue is that I would NEVER wrap a rope around my neck on a boat. I have coiled (flaked) lines this way for over 40 years. You can throw one of my lines months after its been stowed and it will run without kinks or twists.
An oil rig supervisor showed me the over the neck trick for folding a stern line after use -no tension on the line.

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
Thanks JDEGE and Jackdale. I needed that since I have been screwing up line for a long time. I saw something about garden hoses, would this also work if you had a hose bib or hanger?
First, lay out the hose and work out its "lay" so it lays without any twists. Let it stay that way for an hour or so. Then you can wrap it any way you want. Synthetic hoses have memories. They are sold coiled up which is not very handy for wrapping them any other way, nor even for everyday use. Need to break that memory. Which is why new hoses are a bear to recoil while old old hoses are as limp as shoelaces.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 16:56   #41

Great post!
cjsfsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 16:58   #42

Yachties worry about whether or not to butterfly their coils. Cruisers butterfly their shrimp and put it off 'til tomorrow....

Old 03-05-2016, 17:33   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Someone enlightened me on this back in the early 1990s. I've been using figure 8s ever since. I just make the 8s holding the line in my hand, not around anything.

All of my sailing buddies that race use figure 8s all of the time. They are more concerned about function over looks. Some of my cruising friends hate when I figure 8 their lines because it doesn't look as good.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 17:44   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure what OP means as I nearly always do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 18:59   #45

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
I have kept my hose in a figure 8 for years. Before I put it in the lazerette I put ties around the hose in each loop so that it stays in the figure 8, then I fold one loop over the other and another tie to hold it that way. So when I use the hose I put it on the dock directly under my anchor roller, undo enough off the bottom to connect irt to the hose bib, put a self-turn-off nozzle on the other end and feed it over the roller. The I get on the boat and just pull as much hose as I need, for whatever I want to do. The hose comes up over the roller with no twists. When I'm done I just flake the hose down in the figure 8 and put it away. Before I used that method I always had to stretch the hose on the dock and remove the twists and kinks before taking it out of a coil, and again do the same thing when putting it back in a coil. The new-to-me method (for the last 15 or 20 years) has sure saved me considerable work. And when I was just coiling the hose it developed kinks and leaks ansd I ended up replacing a couple hoses.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, sail