Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 13:39   #46

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Why are Outboards Made to be Operated with the Left Hand?

The OP presumes twisting the throttle forward, away is 'backwards'. He must be a motorcycle rider...? I too ride, but I sit to port and operate with my right hand and I just get used to throttle opposite the bike. I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to twist the throttle, just different.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:44   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I will join the group that says you can use either hand. I choose the most appropriate side to sit, and often switch after a while if I get sore or cramped.

The dinghy is a lot of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 221.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	143341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Main Duck 388.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	143342  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 13:59   #48

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Napoleon was left handed?
Old 17-03-2017, 14:13   #49

Boat: Coast 30

Those of us who have walked through the dry land storage of marinas to admire classic yachts? may have noticed that IF the vessel does not have a central located log in the keel. The older traditional vessels invariably have the propeller shaft on the port side. Now while I do not have the historical origins for this readily at hand. Perhaps it is; as with a lot of tradition? The reasons become lost in the annuls of time. For contemporary historials to dream up interpretations for?

As I have stated before I have through circumstance acquired a bit of a British seagull outboard collection. I believe they were one of the earliest manufactures of outboards. In their operators manual. In keeping with common practice...They suggest positioning the motor off center to port so that the propeller is clear of the hull bottom on deeper draft vessels with dead rise, or to miss the location of the rudder. This would also keep it clear of the water flow past the skegg, I know that they mention that off center will not affect the control of the boat, & I have found this to be true.

So If the answer to the question warrants further research. I suggest to start with why were the first propeller shafts located to port?

There seems historically; To be little doubt that the demands of the first world war did much to forward the development of lighter, more efficient, & reliable internal combustion engines. Many of the yachts built prior to WW One had streamlined hulls most effective for pure sailing. & were operated by large professional crews.

By the end of that war the world had changed, So the wealthy could no longer afford to continue Yachting on the previous basis. Lofty rigs were reduced, mizzen masts fitted and inboard engines were installed into hulls that were not designed for propeller shafts located on center.

When it came to a choice of which side? Perhaps most common propeller rotation was a consideration as previously suggested? So with the outboard mounted off to port, a left hand tiller position would be obvious, right hand would be behind your back.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:23   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Why are Outboards Made to be Operated with the Heft Hand?

[QUOTE=44'cruisingcat;2349548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

All the bicycles I've ridden had the front brake on the right.

Where are you? Apparently it differs based on which side of the road cars drive on, that makes sense, sort of, I guess
https://cyclingtips.com/2009/05/why-do-brakes-differ/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:37   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, fwiw, I grew up in the United States of America, and one Christmas, I assembled bicycles for sale. All of those 10 speed bikes had the front wheel brake on the right. This was in Calif.

You all can probably guess who taught me to drive the dinghy: Jim; and therefore, it has never occurred to me at all to try and drive from the starboard side! He, of course, chose it because it worked "like a motorcycle throttle for him", and he didn't want to re-train himself. It didn't matter to me!

And yes, it's a terrible thing to have to confess, but driving the dinghy fast is FUN!

Ann
Old 17-03-2017, 15:37   #52

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Never thought about it, but I am another one of those drive from the port-side types and I am right-handed. No one taught we to do this, it just seemed kind of natural.
Old 17-03-2017, 16:04   #53

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Skipper53, that reasoning leaves you cross armed however it does open door for new logic. When your right hand is toast and fingers are open blisters from pulling the starter cord, once you do have it started, the boating gods have mercy on you and you have a left hand to operate the tiller as you power off with same and tears in your eyes. Usually, in my case because I forgot to put the safety clip in the kill switch.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:28   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
...... and I thought the tradition was the opposite with the term "port" originating from the side of the boat put to the dock (the port).
That was my thought too!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I've always seated myself on the port tube and driven with my right hand on the tiller and throttle. Why would you not do so? Works fine for me!

Jim
You must have a wide dingy, no room to turn to starboard on many that way. Where will your legs and knees be in this picture?
Attached Images

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:35   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpjn59 View Post
This reminds me of the schooner that was hit by the fishing boat a couple of years ago. The captain of the schooner got to watch the whole event, but he had right of way, bad dicision and ignored the exception part of that law in the regs., avoid contact, even if you have right away.
Oh-oh! Here we go again.

He didn't have "right of way", he was "the stand on vessel" and obliged to maintain course and speed up to a certain point in time, at which point he was obliged to take action to avoid a collision. (COLREGs 17)
Old 17-03-2017, 16:37   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Gee, don't you guys know that Mr. Johnson was left-handed...
But was Mr Evinrude?
Old 17-03-2017, 16:39   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
ok - truly silly question I suppose.

Outboard engines are made to be operated with the left hand - the throttle is made to be twisted towards yourself when held in the left hand - sitting on the other side of the boat you have to twist the throttle away from yourself using the right hand - awkward.

But when sitting on the starboard side of the boat and using the left hand to work the throttle - you have your back to traffic coming from starboard.

You have to give way to traffic coming from starboard - meaning you are constantly twisting your body and ending up in contorted positions to keep even a mediocre watch.

Why? if the throttle worked the other way - you be facing traffic coming from starboard and you could keep an eye on everything

Is this a case of the manufacturers just not thinking or is there some deep dark maritime secret that noone has told me about
sitting on the starboard side you should be facing forward not to port. You don't have to face the engine.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 16:44   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
As I have stated before I have through circumstance acquired a bit of a British seagull outboard collection. I believe they were one of the earliest manufactures of outboards.
Seagulls weren't made until the 1930s.
Lots of manufacturers in the 1920s.
Evinrude was making them in 1909.
Old 17-03-2017, 16:57   #60

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Most folks I know stand up and have a tiller extension made from a piece of pvc pipe.

Attachment 143322
You're spending too much time in Georgetown, Bahamas.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard