Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 17:59   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jSnyder
At the risk of sounding like a total beginner I'm just curious? My Previous boat had a Furling Genoa so I didn't have to change the sail I could just let out more or take up on it. On the new boat I have a bunch of foresails. What is your comfort zone in knots for each of your number one, number two and so on? My boat is Ranger 28 my displacement is 5108. Sorry if this has been asked before I couldn't find it. Thanks

I have 155% #1 genoa 9.8 oz
150%#1 genoa 5 oz
135% #2 6 oz
100% #3 7 oz
We spent $10 on an inclinometer and change when we hit 25 degrees.we start with a reef, then go to headsail, then second reef, etc
Old 20-06-2012, 03:33   #17

Re: Which sail for what wind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I did this once and regretted it. Makes for a real sloppy sail even on a 120%. By the time you get it down, deal with all the excess sail below the reef point (BTW: anything bigger than a 100% blade will have excess sail sticking out aft of the new tack cringle!) then tie the excess up, and change the fairleads etc. Just as simple to just change sails and have a decent sail up!
My sailmaker tried to tell me it was a bad idea....
agree totally, but it is an option. the jib needs to be cut rather flat. not very efficient, but does work to get through a temporary blow without all the fuss and bother of changing sails. roller reefing the better way to go.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 10:57   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I dislike big genoas. For starters you can't see under those 135% or 140% deck sweepers, which is a PITA if you sail in crowded waters.

Get a high cut 120% genoa that reefs well (don't forget luff tape). For light air, use an asymmetric spinnaker with a sock or on a furler.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:05   #19

For coastal sailing on that boat, the 135% is probably a great sail. Or in the islands too if you sail with "gusto"! or if you pay attention to the wind predictions. The light 150% would probably do fine for downwind work. and the 100% great in a moderate blow. Those 3 would work out well for you I suspect. The heavy 155... maybe leave it home.... Sure roller furling is nice, but on a 28 ft boat.... one pull and it's down! Nothing wrong with good old fashioned, foolproof hank on sails...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:24   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I think you have a good suit of sails. Just have to determine your comfort level in using them. I look out on the water and determine which I'll start with and then change if need be during the day. Light winds get my big light sail. About 10k starts me out with my #2 and if it is nearly 15k I start with the #3. I'd only rig your big heavy genoa if you were broad reaching for the day in winds up to 15k. In other words I think your large heavy genoa is for downwind work to 15k.
I think others have said the same thing but maybe in different words.
Did you get a spinnaker too?

kind regards,
Old 20-06-2012, 11:27   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For coastal sailing on that boat, the 135% is probably a great sail. Or in the islands too if you sail with "gusto"! or if you pay attention to the wind predictions. The light 150% would probably do fine for downwind work. and the 100% great in a moderate blow. Those 3 would work out well for you I suspect. The heavy 155... maybe leave it home.... Sure roller furling is nice, but on a 28 ft boat.... one pull and it's down! Nothing wrong with good old fashioned, foolproof hank on sails...
unless you dont want to crawl forward on a skinny deck in pounding seas. hank on is foolproof(well almost) but today's roller reefing systems are almost as fp and are real safety factors. btw: for cruising, all head sails should be high cut and off the deck by at least 18". two feet preferably.
Old 20-06-2012, 12:29   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
(...) if you really want to hank on the 150 and want to avoid crawling on deck for a sail change when a storm hits, try having it redone with multiple tacks and clews so you can keep shorting it as conditions worsen (...)
+/-

It will still be next to useless when flown all up ...

Maybe, if it is a cross cut, then, maybe, a good sailmaker can cut it down to 90-100%.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+/-

It will still be next to useless when flown all up ...

Maybe, if it is a cross cut, then, maybe, a good sailmaker can cut it down to 90-100%.

b.
good for downwind. ranger has fairly flat bottom. big fat headsail can get the boat on a plane, at least does on a r-26. squirrelly boats. need to be on the helm every second. good fun boats for racing. dont know where the guy is sailing, but the 155 might be instead of a spinnaker. would make sense for the bay area coming downhill with short crew. mull's design can leave a rooster tail with a big bad spinnaker up in 25 knot winds. the 155 would give an advantage in strong winds since it could be left up a whole lot longer than a spinnaker. if he has a double forestay, that is likely the role of the 155. if he has a bridle on his backstay, would recommend changing to two separate backstays with independent chainplates. smashing into a following sea puts tremendous force on the backstay. we broke two masts that way. ride em cowboy!

Tags
sail, wind