Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12   #1

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Where to Tie Fenders...

There is some discussion at our marina where to tie fenders; to the life lines or to a stanchion base (or cleat). Some do it one way and some another. What say y'all?
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Where to tie fenders...

Not on the lifelines. A toe-rail with holes or slots in it works fine.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I used to tie fenders to the lifelines. Then one day the fender caught under the dock and a rising tide broke the lifeline and bent one of the stanchions. Now I use the stanchion bases and cleats. I'm also a little more careful how I set up the fenders.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where to tie fenders...

I tie on the lower life line... like the ability to slide it back and forth to suit rather than the panicky untie/retie.. once alongside and settled I jam it...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:37   #5

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I tie fenders to the lifelines before coming alongside, because it's faster to move them to the place where they are most needed. When the boat is fully berthed, I switch the fenders to stanchions bases and holes in the toe rails, for the same reason as jstevens.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:40   #6

Boat: Lagoon 440

Marina talk will wear you down..........
Old 11-09-2013, 12:43   #7

I rarely even use them except for in water winter storage. Tie them to the slotted toe rail. For a quickie on a windward dock I usually use the life lines but don't stay foir more than 20 min max.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:46   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

haha marina discussion! wow slow day in the marina when it comes to fender positioning...
anyhoo, I have big bowlines tied in my fenders so when I dock I thread the line around the top lifeline at the staunchion (or solid stainless rail) and throw the fender overboard (through the loop)
This way the fenders can't fall off and the loops are sized to let the fender just touch the water (for floating pontoons)
If its a med moor or raised dock I pull the loop up a bit and tie it off. Works good, nice and fast and haven't lost a fender yet (touch rubber)
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:52   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish2 View Post
There is some discussion at our marina where to tie fenders; to the life lines or to a stanchion base (or cleat). Some do it one way and some another. What say y'all?
Well, since boats are different, different plans suit different owners. Our boat has perforated aluminum toe rails. If we tie off to the toe rail, the fender line chafes on the rub strake. So, what we do is use the upper life lines some of the time, but the lower ones, too, some of the time, depending on whether we're using the fenders vertically or horizontally, again determined by how the fender lines lead to be free of chafe. Sometimes, we secure them at the stanchions, at the lower lifeline.

Boatman 61 has the right of it, though, you do want to be able to move them easily to where they'll do the most good, then if necessary re-locate to suit.

Ann
Old 11-09-2013, 13:32   #10

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I tie them to the cleats on the lower railing? What? You have no cleats? Sorry.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 16:48   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Anywhere but on the lifelines or high on the stanchions.
Old 13-09-2013, 20:21   #12

Boat: Flicka, 20' homebuilt

You have got to be kidding!
Is your other handle Galaxy Girl?
bill cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 20:55   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I tie fenders to the lifelines before coming alongside, because it's faster to move them to the place where they are most needed. When the boat is fully berthed, I switch the fenders to stanchions bases and holes in the toe rails, for the same reason as jstevens.

Alain
That is what we do but our latest toy has no slotted aluminium toe rail but has a varnished teak capping to which I am reluctant to screw on extra cleats that might just pull out under any real load, so what can we do but revert to tie on the lifelines??. I do take the lines one turn round the lower lifeline first ( less leverage load on the stanchions??) before tying off on the upper lifeline. If expecting really bad conditions I might take some of the fender lines up between the lifelines to the coachroof handrail instead. I would really like to find a better solution. We have a center cleat on the capping rail and a couple of stanchion bases and the genoa track block to use but these are not perfectly located for where we want to place the fenders We do have outside lines rigged to a dock post to help hold us off the dock from the normal windward side I thought about adding more sliding cleats to the genoa tracks but these are stupidly expensive unless someone knows of a good USA source, around $100 a piece from WEST is too much in my budget.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 21:33   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
I used to tie fenders to the lifelines. Then one day the fender caught under the dock and a rising tide broke the lifeline and bent one of the stanchions. Now I use the stanchion bases and cleats. I'm also a little more careful how I set up the fenders.

John

I have two of them on moveable hangers on the lifeline, but I also have a fender board across them. It's actually the fender board that keeps the boat off the piling. The boat doesn't stay in the exact same place as the tide goes up and down, so the fenderboard does the job.

Having the fender board against a piling keeps it from going under the dock.

For smaller boats, PVC pipe makes a very good fender board. It's lightweight and easy to stow when not in use.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 22:08   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I tie them to the cleats on the lower railing? What? You have no cleats? Sorry.

Mark...Dude...You need more fenders...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender