Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 17:10   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Where To Put The Oars?

And don't tell me in the water please?

My question is: when going to shore with the dinghy where do you hide the oars when you are visiting or anything else you do on shore?

Do you take them with you... do you leave them on board of the sailboat (and what if the engine failed?)

Where where where do you hide them?
Old 22-04-2011, 17:42   #2

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Where To Put The Oars?

You could just turn the dink upside down and simply hide them. Assuming you dont have the motor on. Otherwise, I am a little confused about the question. Do you secure the dink and the motor? If I was a thief I would steal the motor first.

Some people have a stainless wire painter on the bow to allow the dingy to be padlocked to a tree or post. You could easily drill a couple of small holes in the oars for that painter to go though and have the whole lot nicely secured.

I never take a dink out without at least one oar to get me home if the outboard dies. We made that mistake in the whitsundays years ago. We were anchored a very long way from shore (due to the extreme tides). The tide eventually came in and the outboard died right at the shore. Luckily, we had been snorkelling and were able to use the Fins as paddles. But even with four of us paddling the little rib, the trip back to the boat felt like hours.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:37   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We shackle them to the boat and the boat we shackle her to a tree or a rock. At the high tide mark.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:58   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Use the oarlocks with a pin through the middle of the oar and lock them with a cable through the oarlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	north-river-oarlock-lg.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	26472  
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:03   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Use the oarlocks with a pin through the middle of the oar and lock them with a cable through the oarlock.
That's what I do, but somebody makes a neat fitting that allows you to clamp two oars down to the seat and lock it in place, if you want to get fancy. Or, just drill a big hole in the middle of each oar blade to pass a cable through--I doubt you will feel any difference when rowing. Besides, almost nobody steals a dinghy with oars these days because right next to your boat will almost always be an unlocked dinghy with a motor. One thing I love about cruising in New England is that almost nobody locks their dinghy anywhere and they're never stolen either. By the way, I usually leave all sorts of crap in my dinghy: oars, lifejackets, bailer, anchor, rope, etc. and I don't think I've ever lost a thing even in some pretty iffy areas. Thieves are usually not interested in your stuff, just your boat and more likely the motor.
Old 22-04-2011, 19:04   #6

Check out the 100JS series on the bottom of the page. We have these and they're quite solid and easy to store. There is no flex or wiggle.

http://www.cavinesspaddles.com/for_boating.html
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK I have not been very clear I think
Problem: Dinghy with motor has Oars (just in case).
Question is not how to secure dinghy and outboard engine.. question is : WHAT ABOUT THE OARS, how do you secure them? do you take them with you on your errands on shore or what else.

OK I got some answers advising to make holes and passing a wire through the hole etc....
But oars nowadays are plastic ones...
Old 22-04-2011, 19:27   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That's what I do, but somebody makes a neat fitting that allows you to clamp two oars down to the seat and lock it in place, if you want to get fancy. Or, just drill a big hole in the middle of each oar blade to pass a cable through--I doubt you will feel any difference when rowing. Besides, almost nobody steals a dinghy with oars these days because right next to your boat will almost always be an unlocked dinghy with a motor. One thing I love about cruising in New England is that almost nobody locks their dinghy anywhere and they're never stolen either. By the way, I usually leave all sorts of crap in my dinghy: oars, lifejackets, bailer, anchor, rope, etc. and I don't think I've ever lost a thing even in some pretty iffy areas. Thieves are usually not interested in your stuff, just your boat and more likely the motor.
I don't live in New England.. I live in Florida
Old 22-04-2011, 20:32   #9

Boat: csy 37

i drilled a hole through each oar, then ran a 1 foot length of 3/16" stainless rigging wire through the hole, then made a loop out of it and secured it with a nicopress fitting. i've done that to wooden oars and aluminum oars.

when locking up the dinghy i just pass a chain through the loops on the oars as well as around the engine.

the chain, by the way, goes through a 1" hole i drilled through the transom on the dinghy.

nothing will stop a determined thief but when they see chain and heavy wire they tend to look elsewhere, or so i'm told....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:23   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i drilled a hole through each oar, then ran a 1 foot length of 3/16" stainless rigging wire through the hole, then made a loop out of it and secured it with a nicopress fitting. i've done that to wooden oars and aluminum oars.

when locking up the dinghy i just pass a chain through the loops on the oars as well as around the engine.

the chain, by the way, goes through a 1" hole i drilled through the transom on the dinghy.

nothing will stop a determined thief but when they see chain and heavy wire they tend to look elsewhere, or so i'm told....

Thank you
I think that was the kind of tips I was looking for.
I'll try it
Old 23-04-2011, 04:54   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Never heard of anybody having their oars stolen on an inflatable, even in Wild, Wild Florida. I have left mine just clipped on the side of the dinghy everywhere from Maine to Colombia, the Bahamas, and around a bunch of the Caribbean. But, if you're worried, I still think drilling a hole in the plastic blades and running a cable through is the way to go.
Old 23-04-2011, 18:42   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
OK I have not been very clear I think
Problem: Dinghy with motor has Oars (just in case).
Question is not how to secure dinghy and outboard engine.. question is : WHAT ABOUT THE OARS, how do you secure them? do you take them with you on your errands on shore or what else.

OK I got some answers advising to make holes and passing a wire through the hole etc....
But oars nowadays are plastic ones...
You can drill through plasic too.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:33   #13

you paint them pink!!! and be done with it
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:38   #14

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Carry them with you as a weapon?
JK
Ours have slightly corroded nuts that would make them very very hard to steal.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 17:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Where To Put The Oars?

Kettlewell... someone stole a single oar from my inflatable... left the other attatched ...
Puzzled me a bit... was it a yachtie who'd broken one of his... I'll never know sadly...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote