Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 02:42   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
When supertankers collide

If you look at the AIS recreation of this collision in Singapore Straits, look at the small ferries in the path of the Containership after it is hit on the stern quarter and looses control....then seems to speed up??

https://gcaptain.com/vlcc-collides-w...Captain.com%29
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:51   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: When supertankers collide

That place scares the crap out of me. I always used to dread it when I was OOW on container ships going through those waters. It wasnt so much the amount of traffic, but the combination of poor vis in the haze, the poorly marked shoals and the number of barely lit and suicidal small wooden fishing boats that popped up ahead at the worst possible moments.

Even though the traffic was heavier around the English channel at least it seemed more orderly and sensible...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-08-2016, 02:58   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The first thing I noticed was that the tanker..Dream 2... hadn't set up their AIS parameters correctly. It looks like the two ships had 'disconnected' if indeed they had ever 'connected'.

Don't know if this makes a lot of sense but her AIS would be down the back.. not on the foredeck ... then the ships would have looked 'bonded'.

Maybe that gave the MSC a false sense of being able to pass clear ahead....

Not sure about the 'small ferries'... the only ship I saw get a real start was this one Vessel details for: SINAR PRAYA (General Cargo) - IMO 9359612, MMSI 525009325, Call Sign PLMU Registered in Indonesia | AIS Marine Traffic
Old 05-08-2016, 03:02   #4

and this one Vessel details for: IG SUNTZU (Landing Craft) - IMO 9736004, MMSI 565587000, Call Sign 9V2453 Registered in Singapore | AIS Marine Traffic

I see it says 1500ish... I presume that is GMT... so happened in the dark.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:10   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Seems the VLCC was making an effort to slow down prior to collision, the MSC ship is doing about 12 kt, and in the turn during the collision, speed made good is down to about 2.5 kts, then once separated from the tanker, is soon back to 6.5 kts.
My guess, a badly shaken up bridge crew, lose of bearings/awareness during the collision, maybe no one got to the telegraph, or just brought it back to slow ahead?

Most likely all looking astern after that bump.

I was part of the salvage operation for the Hyundai Duke back in 1994, which had been in a collision with a VLCC just off the Johore Shoal buoy.
One side of the engine room had been ripped out, all the crew were pretty shaken up.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:20   #6

I think that having a ULCC stick its nose up your backside at 10 or 12 knots ( even when it is in ballast ) would lead to you having very very little control over your destiny in the short term.....

'Nose up bum' vid here Bulk Carrier Runs Over Cargo Ship in Singapore Straits [VIDEO] - gCaptain

Yes , the ULCC seems to be working pretty hard at taking some speed off.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:32   #7

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

It will be interesting to read the report. I wonder if any other non AIS boats were kicking around at the time making life difficult. Certainly doesn't seem to be much in the way of bold and substantial alterations of course or speed, at least not before the collision anyway!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-08-2016, 03:40   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I would have expected, the Dream II being west bound was in ballast.
https://www.fleetmon.com/maritime-ne...-ship-msc-ale/

At least they managed to save some of the containers which came off the deck of the MSC Alexdranda.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:50   #9

I reckon the ULCC had a reasonable expectation that the MSC would not try to pass close ahead.... he was committed long before.

As soon as the MSC decided he could pass clear ahead it was all over bar the shouting.

Maybe the MSC master forgot that there was the better part of 1000 foot of boat behind his bridge and 1000 feet in front of the tanker's bridge... ?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:17   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

In my experience your ais is useless in that area. The amount of ships is in the 100's, the first time I cruised the straight my ais freaked out at 199 ships, I couldn't even turn it off as you need a break in its registering of a collision to turn it off. Going with the traffic is one thing, going 90° to traffic is a totally different experience. I had a friend breakdown right in the middle with no wind, radio is useless as there is constant noise on it.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 17:56   #11
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I reckon the ULCC had a reasonable expectation that the MSC would not try to pass close ahead.... he was committed long before.

As soon as the MSC decided he could pass clear ahead it was all over bar the shouting.

Maybe the MSC master forgot that there was the better part of 1000 foot of boat behind his bridge and 1000 feet in front of the tanker's bridge... ?
Yes, that's how I see it....MSC master had just dropped off the Pilot before midnight probably after a very long day.

Anxious to get into the main EAST/WEST traffic lanes he or his WK Officer made a decision, that cost them their careers.

What I saw as interesting is how the other AIS targets acted after the collision.
I also agree with the comment that AIS is overwhelmed in that situation.. Close quarter Radar watch at 6nm and 2nm displays, gain reduced to stop radar bounce and reduced speed.

Also listening carefully to Singapore Traffic, who are excellent !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1470444975099.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	129054  
Old 05-08-2016, 23:58   #12

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I disagree re Ais. On a good Ais unit, You can filter your alarms to very local traffic only, then sort by cpa and time. I had 256 targets within 5 miles at one point though, it sure is busy!

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-08-2016, 01:13   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
I disagree re Ais. On a good Ais unit, You can filter your alarms to very local traffic only, then sort by cpa and time. I had 256 targets within 5 miles at one point though, it sure is busy!

Sent from my D5503 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Absolutely BUT when you have so much traffic all with in very close proximity filtering doesn't work quite as well, I have a vesper marine, great unit but at the end of the day nothing beats your eyes when it comes to places like the Singapore strait.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:39   #14
CF Adviser

Eyes don't really work that well on a hazy monsoonal night in the approaches to Singapore with all that backlight.

Now retired from running big ships I am new to using AIS in these high density (poor visibility) situations.

Using IMO standard X & S Band radars in the past without concern

However, I can see the value of identifying problem Targets with AIS....what concerned me was the comment that the AIS was not set up properly..as the video recreation showed them not touching.

Is that common on big ships?
If so, I will identify with AIS, but continue to avoid with Radar
Old 06-08-2016, 03:38   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Eyes don't really work that well on a hazy monsoonal night in the approaches to Singapore with all that backlight.

Now retired from running big ships I am new to using AIS in these high density (poor visibility) situations.

Using IMO standard X & S Band radars in the past without concern

However, I can see the value of identifying problem Targets with AIS....what concerned me was the comment that the AIS was not set up properly..as the video recreation showed them not touching.

Is that common on big ships?
If so, I will identify with AIS, but continue to avoid with Radar

I should not be common, but it does happen.
AIS data from Marine Traffic indicates the Dream II at 126m length and 25m beam, which is no where near the dimesnions for a 300,000+ tonne deadweight tanker.
Her actual specs indicate she has a length of 333m, and a beam of 60m, which makes a lot more sense.

The AIS data for the MSC Alexandra appears to be correct with regards to the length and beam, and she is very similar in dimensions to the Dream II.
Looking closer at the AIS depiction of the collision, the images of both ships look very similar in size, the Dream II outline appearing to be slightly smaller than the MSC Alexandra, but no way one third of the size.

My guess is that the AIS software may limit the size of the target displayed.

In any event, these were big boys, and should have known better, AIS is not an anti-collision tool when it comes to big ships, it's there to identify only.

Hopefully a full report will be published with a transcript of the radio comms between the two ships and VTIS.

Few years ago a Maersk container ship ran aground pretty much at the same place (Sebarok Reef), while attempting to avoid a collision, the transcript of the radio comms can be found here.
https://assets.publishing.service.go...ll_Annexes.pdf

Knowing the reputation of the ships master through my own work, I was not surprised at the fate of this ship.