Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2012, 14:07   #46

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart

I'd definitely agree with that. I'm an avid scuba diver but getting all that crap on and doing so safely is nuts compared to the speed you can get bare-assed and into the water with snorkel and mask.

For bottom cleaning and zincs, I'll do scuba. But for "oh **** I need to get in the water" it's snorkeling gear. Scuba gear is way too big and bulky an you can't realistically store it in an easy-to-to place.
Just get a long airline and leave the tank on deck, works great for clearing props
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 14:07   #47
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: What would you have done?

Whoa, lots of new responses! Thanks everyone, I thought this might be a popular subject.
We just had to make a quick trip back to the other end to get our car and bring it up so now I'll go back and read all these new msgs on the thread.
Old 13-10-2012, 14:26   #48
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wraun View Post
haha, the next day when we were discussing the situation and what we should take from it, we agreed that the acquisition of diving gear should be moved up on the priority list of things to buy for the boat.

You can get a good line cutter for less than good scuba gear, and it doesn't require you to get in to the cold dark water at night, something which would be totally unsafe if there is any kind of wave action in the anchorage. I use Spurs. Spurs Marine Line & Net Cutter Systems

minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 15:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I think every situation is going to be different. There may or may not be a time pressure problem.
Yes that is for sure. The situation here, to try to answer as many posts as I can at once, was tight quarters but firm holding ground with wind gusts but forecasted sustained winds of 15 - 20 kt that didn't materialize.

I don't know how you guys post images or I could provide a screenshot of our anchorage with our gps tracks.

Of all the suggestions regarding the anchor issue, I think deploying a second anchor would have been the best option.

On the topic of fouled props I think the best option would indeed be to have diving gear. RE: " I think the main thing is to have all the tools and knowledge how to use them" Time and space considered of course.

I like the line cutters though, that is cool but I want to get into scuba diving anyway and there are too many other reasons to have scuba gear.

As Astrid and Ahhnuts have said, in these waters hypothermia is really a major concern.

I think from this lesson my goals, before the next sailing season starts, should be to...
1) Replace the 100' of rope on my rode with 300' of rope to bring my primary rode up to 500'.
2) Rig a secondary rode of at least 200' for use with my secondary anchor
3) Start acquiring scuba or at the very least snorkeling gear and get training
Old 13-10-2012, 15:18   #50

Oh and we have hull number 61! and yes they are great boats. We love ours Have you joined the Corbin 39 facebook page?
Old 13-10-2012, 15:21   #51

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Wraun
Oh and we have hull number 61! and yes they are great boats. We love ours Have you joined the Corbin 39 facebook page?
Didn't know there was one! I will check it out, thanks
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 22:21   #52

Boat: Norsea 27
Thumbs up Re: What would you have done?

As I said earlier, I've been there too many times. As one reader responded had a similar issue in Smugglers Cove, a place I love to get into early with a stern tie and watch the action as it's a popular place for of inexperienced boaters first attempt the stern tie. Which I what I would probably have done after freeing the dink from the prop shaft.

One powerboat I saw after seeing others tied to shore tried to back in and step off the swim deck while his wife backed up, he almost made it. Another powerboat came in and proceeded to back down using the 10 plus theory, lower the anchor till it hits bottom and add ten feet, and took everyones anchor with him. After a lot of yelling he left and went to tie up at the dock in Secret Cove. Not that I sit and watch the disasters happen, often I volunteer to take their line ashore if they're struggling.

The thing is, in the NW you tow the dink a lot and you need the dink ready to run to shore quickly with the stern tie before you swing into someone (because that's the way others are doing it). With a little forthought the dinghy should be pulled up where you can jump in and the line ready to go. It's tricky when you are soloing but do-able if you hustle, just tie to the stern and take the line with you so you can pull in the slack from shore.

Something else to think about is when there are narrow slots in the islands and nowhere a decent anchorage. Dropping the hook with a short scope and tying across the cove for and aft then pulling up the anchor. I've also been known to tie to a fallen tree while waiting for slack at a rapid too. Whatever works.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 19:35   #53

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I don't think I would have done much differently except maybe not picked that mooring area if I had other options close enough. Maybe. As I understood it you were expecting winds from the north and picking a mooring on the north end of the island?
I don't think 20 knots predicted would have gotten me too excited unless they mentioned gusting to 30.
I know from first hand experience that a line wrapped around a prop will stop your engine cold if you get it wrapped tight enough. Trying to dislodge it putting your trans forward then back will not work. I've freed one in the dark in Hawaii but not in BC. Big difference.
kind regards,
Old 07-11-2012, 20:06   #54

Thanks Skipr, After reading your response, I had quick look at the chart and this was the closest choice after the originally planned anchorage. There is nothing on the south side of the island, although there is one right next door to the one we were in.
Like I said though, it was the end of the day and dwindling light was also a concern. The forecasted winds were from the NW and our little bay was well protected (as was the one next door too though).

Here's a video of that trip. The spot with the sea lions and whales was just before we got to that anchorage.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:17   #55

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Sounds like you did most of the right things. You lived to tell about it at any rate.

Me: I would have dropped a second anchor as the first thing. Doing that would have taken all the stress out of the situation. I have complete scuba gear on board and while mine is also under the V-berth, it is fairly easy to get the wetsuit , BCD and tank out. Since I've dropped a second anchor, I'm not nervous about time, but I probably would hop in without booties or gloves, but with a knife. If it is a simple cut then you can do it and get out before hypothermia hits (yes I dive here in the Baltic - it is also cold).

But I have a rope cutter mounted (please, please DO NOT ASK ME WHY!) just in case. They are worth their weight in gold.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:56   #56

I assumed that you did not have a second anchor. Is that a correct assumption?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:08   #57
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

But I have a rope cutter mounted (please, please DO NOT ASK ME WHY!) just in case. They are worth their weight in gold.

I think they might actually cost their weight in gold! But totally agree, worth it and then some. People die underneath counter sterns diving on props all too often, just a little wave action and the boat can hit you in the head with amazing force. Dangerous and unnecessary.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18   #58

carry a wetsuit and ALWAYS pull the dink up very close to the stern before turning the motor on. Wrapping a line around the prop is one of my biggest fears.. So far so good, knock wood!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:12   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I assumed that you did not have a second anchor. Is that a correct assumption?
Yes... well.. almost

We do actually have 3 anchors. Only one rigged and ready though.
The course of action that I have decided on after this experience is to add at least another 100 feet to my primary rode and to make up a rode for a secondary anchor that will be ready to go when needed. We also need a line to use to stern tie.
This was an interesting learning experience and we were fortunate in that the possible consequences of being ill equipped were obvious and we didn't actually have to experience them.
To do nothing in preparation for the inevitability of being in that position again would be beyond foolish.
Old 08-11-2012, 14:28   #60

Every time I go sailing I learn something new. Amazing isn't it?
kind regards,