Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 21:02   #1

Boat: wharram tiki 26
What Would you Consider an Essential bit of Kit?

With the near completion of my Wharram tiki 26 and the launch not too far away i got to thinking about what i need for longer voyages. Other than a hope and a prayer I aim to keep her as light as possible.

I suffered from the newbie builder syndrome of over engineering some of the add ons I built for the boat.
On longer voyages I will be single handing most of the time.It seems the more I think about different scenarios the more stuff I need.

There is one house battery at the moment and two 40 watt solar panels. As you can see this is going to be a minimalist cat.

What would you not go without?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 22:49   #2
cruiser

Re: What would you consider an essential bit of kit?

Fresh panties. You can never have too many fresh panties.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 23:02   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

That question is open to broad interpretation. How about for starters some sort of bimini for the cockpit and self steering ability.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:01   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

For electronics, two smartphones with chart app and waterproof pouch will get you going, and has many other uses. Keep one below on charge and one in use.

Some form of selfsteering is the best addition to any voyaging boat. A simple QME style windvane seems to work Ok on the wharrams. It would be pretty high on my list of very useful items. And maybe if the budget could handle it a electronic tillerpilot.

All this assumes good anchoring gear, Mast, sails, hull and rig and efficent reefing systems. Get the basics right. Sail the boat and add gear as needed. You can go far with very basic systems and will learn lots by being without all the gadgets many cruisers consider essentail.

All the best, great boats, I sailed a Tanenui in some pretty wild stuff as a kid and was very impressed by its seakeeping and speed.

Oh almost forgot, some sort of drogue. Maybe an old car tyre or two that can double as a fender and anchor snubber. We nearly had to use it on the Tanenui...

And also a waterproof beanbag, awesomely comfortable at sea and in port.

Cheers. Ben
Old 11-06-2014, 03:07   #5

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A cheap fishfinder would also be in my must have list.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:08   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
With the near completion of my Wharram tiki 26 and the launch not too far away i got to thinking about what i need for longer voyages. Other than a hope and a prayer I aim to keep her as light as possible.

I suffered from the newbie builder syndrome of over engineering some of the add ons I built for the boat.
On longer voyages I will be single handing most of the time.It seems the more I think about different scenarios the more stuff I need.

There is one house battery at the moment and two 40 watt solar panels. As you can see this is going to be a minimalist cat.

What would you not go without?
Not to be a smart alec but your question raises more questions.

What is a long voyage? Have you done an energy budget? Will 80% of 80 watts X 12 hours a day work? - assuming you are in the tropics

If "long passages" means multiple nights you obviously need some sort of self steering.

How will you stay in touch or let people know how you are doing? Radio? spot? sat phone?

evacuation? raft?

So for me - self steering, some sort of comms and evacuation plan.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:39   #7

Thank you all for your time and advice.the fresh panties are a given.But then commando style saves weight

I have a cheap vhf.I have made a windvane for the boat.I have a raymarine tiller pilot that needs custom fitting.
The smartphones will be next on my list.
I have a cheap fishfinder to install.I do not want to mount it thru hull so will make an extension for it,so it can be deployed when needed.

I have bit the bullet and bought a coppins stormfighter para anchor. I worry about the strong points for it though, are they strong enough, the ones I have made.

I have not done an energy budget, this may require more work for longer voyages.
I hope to cross an ocean. From where I am situated that is most likely going to be the indian Ocean. therefore a bimini will be essential.

A waterproof bean bag sounds to be the goods,will suit the boat. A car tire drogue will be added.
Sat phone? Not sure.I do not intend on carrying a liferaft.
Yes it seems sailing the boat first will be a better way than having all the gear and no idea.
Old 11-06-2014, 19:45   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What's your definition of "longer voyages"?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 21:44   #9

Say a stretch that could last two weeks? Going on four if things turn bad?

A voyage to Micronesia or the South East coast of Africa.
Old 11-06-2014, 23:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Say a stretch that could last two weeks? Going on four if things turn bad?

A voyage to Micronesia or the South East coast of Africa.
Pretty different voyages IMO.

Indian Ocean crossing is a big deal.

Micronesia from Queensland is hopping, skipping and jumping - preferable to me BTW and the destination seems oh so more enticing.

Do the energy budget - 80W and one battery might be pushing things especially if you add a tiller pilot. Lights, radios, instruments and Otto will eat a fair amount of juice.

I guess I am missing something - Do you have an aux motor? Inboard? Outboard? If so what size alternator and how often do you plan to run the engine.
Old 12-06-2014, 00:12   #11

Mate,I value your input here I have a small 6hp outboard.I will have to look at more solar/battery installations. Micronesia does seem to be more appealing in some ways.

The southern Indian ocean around the bottom of Madagascar and the route around the Fairest Cape are challenging to say the least.
Your questions have me looking hard at my motivations.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:10   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

From Queensland, I'd look at going over the top end and island hopping through South East Asia/ Micronesia before even thinking about the Indian Ocean. And that way you will only be looking at days rather than weeks at sea at a time, even in a 26ft Wharram.

And plenty of bolt holes in most areas.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
From Queensland, I'd look at going over the top end and island hopping through South East Asia/ Micronesia before even thinking about the Indian Ocean. And that way you will only be looking at days rather than weeks at sea at a time, even in a 26ft Wharram.

This makes sense
Old 12-06-2014, 02:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What would you consider an essential bit of kit?

Carry plenty of spare lashing for your beams.. are your hatches the standard build or have you modified them coz the standard design sucks at keeping the water out..
If you can get a spray hood for her.. great for sleeping under way and keeping the spray outa your face..
Seem to have the rest covered..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

Ditto that one.

Based on OPs boat and (reading between the lines) a need to be a bit minimalist - go for the best adventure/enjoyment/lifestyle with the least drama.

Island hopping in Asia is relatively easy, well within the capabilities of the boat and a single handed sailor, is cheap and meets the minimalist profile.

I am very biased towards SEA and South Pacific. I can't imagine crossing the Indian Ocean, for what? Everything I want is right around my "neighborhood"

Living around here is also pretty easy. My brother is "retired" on a boat. Splits time between Malaysia and Thailand has no visa dramas, boat registration issues etc.

After researching what it would take to import his Asia purchased boat into Oz, he decided to stick around here.