Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 04:39   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
What Level Of Assistance Is Acceptable?

Ok lets get some points of view on the following.

1) A boat is on anchor in a building storm, the owners were seen leaving by car earlier, the chain has ridden over the bow roller and is slowly destroying the Mahogany Topsides and rails, you are going by in your RIB and you have the ability to board and get the chain back on roller and tie it off.

DO YOU?

2) You are in a Marina, it is 2am, there is no security here, you liveaboard and a surge has started running through the pens. The boat next to you is very loosely tied it starts rearing, bouncing off the edges of the concrete pontoons.

Damage is getting worse and the surge is not going away, you have the ability to re-tie the boat so damage to the Marina and boat is minimalised.

DO YOU?

3) The boat next to you has a halyard that's loose, the owner is away you are trying to sleep it's driving you nuts, the end of the halyard has a headboard shackle attached it's clanging badly, you want to clip the halyard shackle to anything and put some tension on it.

DO YOU?

All three things occurred recently to me and i acted in my own way, i have noted the comments regarding ISSAC and legalities that seem to be in place in America. Just interested in responses. Cheers
Old 31-08-2012, 04:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: What Level Of Assistance Is Acceptable?

first thing i do is check the flag! many americans carry guns just for that reason,to stop people boarding their boat un-announced!!!!!

otherwise once i have decided im not gonna get shot i would not hesitate to sort out some ones boat that i know.

if it is a boat that i do not know the owners,i will generally ask a nearby vessel if they will assist as well,then their is no question about your intentions when boarding some ones boat!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Yes, to all three.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:12   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

1- yes
2- yes
3- yes

But knock first to make sure no one is home

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:36   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I would answer "I Do" to all the above.

However, I did have a funny thing happen to some friends once regarding clanging halyards. Nearby boat had this issue, they went by and hailed them a couple of times, knocked on the boat, no response. Finally, assuming no one was aboard, they climbed on to secure the halyards. Almost immediately a rather irate owner popped up from down below and a comedy of errors ensued. They finally got it all sorted out and the halyards secured. Turns out the owner was almost completely deaf.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Yes to the first two and I have done so many times.
No to number 3.

If assisting another boat I always try and get the help of someone else from another boat if possible. That way you are not likely to accused of stealing, or causing the problem.

If this is not possible I think if it was my boat I would want someone to help and I take my chances, but it's an uncomfortable feeling.

I once rescued a yacht that was dragging. The only way to save it was to put up sail or see it smash on the rocks.
I put up some sail and was half way back to anchorage, on my own, when I saw the the owners approching. It was a scary moment they could easily assume I was trying to steal their boat and I was not sure we shared a common language.

As it was they saw the whole thing from shore and said they got down on their knees to pray I would do something to save their yacht.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 05:57   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

yes
yes
yes (been there done that, see thread about slapping halyards)
Old 31-08-2012, 06:06   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

yes
yes
maybe
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 06:36   #9

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Yes
Yes
No

Slapping halyards are part of the life. Saving someone's boat is also part of the life. There is a difference.
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:04   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

btdt for it ...i wont board an anchored boat to fix a halyard but i have done that and the rest. would do again, also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:10   #11

Boat: Celestial 48

yes x 3

The slappling hailyard might not be assistance, but if I couldn't sleep cause of it, I would take action.

This is thinking in a marina. At anchor a noisey hailyard couldn't be that close to merit a boarding.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:32   #12

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

1. It depends. Probably- Have I met the owners? What country are we in? Is the location remote so that my motives could be questioned? So many variables.
2. Yes- I would have probably spoken to the owners at some point in time and would have a feel for whether they would appreciate my actions or see it as a trespassing. For 99% of the people, yes. For my old dock neighbor who crashed into my boat and others boats every time he tried to leave or enter the slip, to be fair only causing superficial damage but never ONCE apologizing- nope. The oceans would be safer if he no longer had means to careen around the marina endangering other boats and boaters. Fortunately he moved the boat to Florida where 'the slips are bigger'. It pays to be considerate.

3. No- a slapping halyard while annoying is not dangerous. I would maybe politely mention it or move my boat.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:37   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
3. No- a slapping halyard while annoying is not dangerous. I would maybe politely mention it or move my boat.

and when they ignore your polite request and there isn't any place to move your boat to (could be a mooring field or there just isn't a good place to move to if anchorage)?
Old 31-08-2012, 07:40   #14

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
and when they ignore your polite request and there isn't any place to move your boat to (could be a mooring field or there just isn't a good place to move to if anchorage)?
I still wouldn't board someone elses boat for something annoying. That's not to say I wouldn't let my 12 year One Direction fan girl crank up "One Thing" and play it on repeat for hours the next time they are aboard.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 07:45   #15

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi

Yes to the first 2
For #3 I always send Ana in a bikini
impi is offline   Reply With Quote