Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2014, 09:10   #301
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: What Justifies a "MAYDAY"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Unless something has change in the US there is a license to have a VHS radio onboard however it is simply a $s for the Fed.. No operator proficiency involved and I doubt if a call is made it is cross referenced to a vessel . I never had an SSB onboard seems like that really only required showing offshore need?
You only need a license in the US if you are using a SSB or sattelite communication (excluding sat phones). Or if you are over 20 meters in length.

However if you travel internationally (including Canada or the Bahamas) you are required to get one.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 09:23   #302
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: What Justifies a "MAYDAY"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I read that to mean that there is a different signal you should use if a person is in distress or there is a medical emergency... specifically the use of the "Urgency Signal" whatever that is.

I suppose this would allow them to dispatch the appropriate resources, which differ based on emergency.
In an emergency of a medical nature severe enough to require outside assistance I would call "Pan Pan Medico.."
That's the way the Radio school taught it.. and it makes sense.. the appropriate services are contacted and readied.. as the info comes in.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:32   #303

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
I have the "Idiots Guide" to making a call or DSC call posted at each radio.
Tested by the girlfriend and proved to work, not sure if that also proves her an idiot
Nuff said
Nigel,

I'll bet you are in deep **** after that one?
Old 21-11-2014, 11:38   #304
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Unless something has change in the US there is a license to have a VHS radio onboard"
Nope. "Voluntary" stations are not required to have a license for marine VHF at all. That is, any US citizen can use a marine VHF aboard any vessel in US waters without a license. Once you go OUTSIDE of US waters, even up to Canada, in theory you need a Ship's Station License, when assigns to the vessel not the operator, to legally use the same equipment. (That's usually a requirement that is ignored by our sensible neighbors to the north.)

But licenses in general, worldwide, vary by the service (Land Mobile, Public Safety, Family Radio, Amateur Radio, whatever) and may be issued to an individual, or a corporation, or assigned to one fixed location, or mobile (vehicle/vessel) installation. Sometimes you need a license for the station (like a marine SSB) as well as one for the operator(s) of that station.

And if you take a cheap $10 walkie-talkie or a ham radio into China without applying in advance for a reciprocal operator's license? You'll probably see it confiscated on arrival, followed by your arrest on espionage charges. The Chinese do not think civilians need radio transmitters of any type. (Perhaps the epidemic of call phones will warp their thinking on that.)

In the US, we are really lucky to have a long generous FCC administering radio matters. The written policies for all radio services pretty much echo the unwritten policy, which has always been "In an emergency, anything goes."

The problem is, as demonstrated by this thread, that so few grasp the concept of "emergency". So the FCC has been getting more restrictive about this, year after year, with some hints and nudges, and some outright smacks.

Doesn't anyone own a dictionary anymore? Or know how to find one online? Really...it isn't such a hard word to find definitions for.

Nobody is dying? Nothing is being stomped by Godzilla? OK, it ain't an emergency.
Old 21-11-2014, 11:56   #305
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Nobody is dying?
Here we go again.
Old 21-11-2014, 12:10   #306

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
And if you take a cheap $10 walkie-talkie or a ham radio into China without applying in advance for a reciprocal operator's license? You'll probably see it confiscated on arrival, followed by your arrest on espionage charges. The Chinese do not think civilians need radio transmitters of any type. (Perhaps the epidemic of call phones will warp their thinking on that.).
That's actually not the case at all, no point taking a 2m/70cm hand held like a baofeng ur5 because you can buy them there by the thousand if you want. I brought a couple back last trip though only about 25% cheaper than on eBay. It's completely unregulated . Every lift operator, pizza delivery scooter, crane cane driver will have a walkie talkie. They must sell them by the million.

Excellent thread drift
Old 22-11-2014, 16:07   #307

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
"Unless something has change in the US there is a license to have a VHS radio onboard"
Nope. "Voluntary" stations are not required to have a license for marine VHF at all. That is, any US citizen can use a marine VHF aboard any vessel in US waters without a license. Once you go OUTSIDE of US waters, even up to Canada, in theory you need a Ship's Station License, when assigns to the vessel not the operator, to legally use the same equipment. (That's usually a requirement that is ignored by our sensible neighbors to the north.)

But licenses in general, worldwide, vary by the service (Land Mobile, Public Safety, Family Radio, Amateur Radio, whatever) and may be issued to an individual, or a corporation, or assigned to one fixed location, or mobile (vehicle/vessel) installation. Sometimes you need a license for the station (like a marine SSB) as well as one for the operator(s) of that station.

And if you take a cheap $10 walkie-talkie or a ham radio into China without applying in advance for a reciprocal operator's license? You'll probably see it confiscated on arrival, followed by your arrest on espionage charges. The Chinese do not think civilians need radio transmitters of any type. (Perhaps the epidemic of call phones will warp their thinking on that.)

In the US, we are really lucky to have a long generous FCC administering radio matters. The written policies for all radio services pretty much echo the unwritten policy, which has always been "In an emergency, anything goes."

The problem is, as demonstrated by this thread, that so few grasp the concept of "emergency". So the FCC has been getting more restrictive about this, year after year, with some hints and nudges, and some outright smacks.

Doesn't anyone own a dictionary anymore? Or know how to find one online? Really...it isn't such a hard word to find definitions for.

Nobody is dying? Nothing is being stomped by Godzilla? OK, it ain't an emergency.
I can see vhf in the US going the way of UHF in Australia.
Old 22-11-2014, 18:57   #308
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
If it's specific help, such as in a medical emergency then an 'urgency call' will suffice and will provide everything that a 'mayday' will. But if it's of such an emergency that I just need help from anyone that can reach me, then that's a "mayday".
After thinking this over for a few days, I've decided that this is the best explanation I've read.
Old 23-11-2014, 07:05   #309
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

That's pretty much the same point I was trying to make back early in the thread.

I think a few others tried to convey a similar interpretation. This one is nice and simple.
Old 23-11-2014, 14:31   #310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I can agree on that too.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:31   #311

Boat: Alberg 35

I'd like some input on this situation. My wife and I typically sail together. She is a definitely a novice, it's her first summer on the boat. If I fall overboard, she would have trouble getting the boat back to rescue me although I believe she could do it (for this reason I sail always with a PFD on and almost always tethered). If I go overboard, should she call Mayday or Pan Pan?
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 19:35   #312

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Mayday definitely. Make sure your VHF is set up for DSC and then she'd only have to push the button.
Old 29-07-2015, 19:58   #313

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I'd like some input on this situation. My wife and I typically sail together. She is a definitely a novice, it's her first summer on the boat. If I fall overboard, she would have trouble getting the boat back to rescue me although I believe she could do it (for this reason I sail always with a PFD on and almost always tethered). If I go overboard, should she call Mayday or Pan Pan?
I see this differently. What follows is written in a friendly tone, but it is different than what another has suggested. We all have to make these decisions for ourselves.

As I see it there should be a distinction, regarding MOB situation.

1. MOB is seen to go overboard and is in sight. Crew on boat is focused on recovery of the the MOB. They call Pan Pan when able. The MOB is in sight and not lost. Focus should be on the crew making speedy recovery. No need to involve rescue assets. No need for distractions.

OR...

2. MOB is NOT in sight. Immediately call Mayday. Get all boats in area aware of situation and helping in search.

I went overboard once. No need for mayday. No need for Coast guard or helo. I was in sight of boat and picked up quick enough.

If I were the husband and went overboard, I would want the wife, assuming she is the only person on boat then, to concentrate on keeping me in sight and marking where I went overboard, and effecting recovery we have practiced with the tools we have both practiced, such as life sling and skills she has mastered such as quick stop etc. she can be a novice sailor, but I would make sure she is a competent and well drilled or practiced and confident in MOB recovery!

Consequently, it seems to me the priority for future sailing would be to make sure the wife is competent and confident in effecting a MOB recovery by herself, as if you went overboard.

I would not want her down below on the radio, answering questions and going through some coast guard decision tree. Self reliance at this point is quicker than any shore based help.

YMMV
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 20:13   #314

I rarely disagree with steady hand, but definitely mayday. I agree her first priority should be a speedy recovery. But if she has time to make a mayday call she should. You can call off the cavalry the second you're back on board.

She should make it a quick call. Mayday, I have a man overboard, I'm in roughly x position. That's it. More details if time permits.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-07-2015, 22:20   #315

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

Agree. That's why DSC is so important. She can push the button and focus on keeping sad hubby in sight. If she loses sight, the troops have already been called. If recover is made, a quick radio call lets the coasties know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: