Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 16:51   #76
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The hired skipper should have his own liability insurance, which is there to cover his own acts of stupidity. The boat owners carry accident and liability insurance on the boat.
This is new to me Kenomac.

What is the standard liability insurance expected for a hired yacht captain?

Is it based on the hull value of the boat? Or triple that amount in case he wipes out similar boats on either side?

I honestly don't know how that works and I suspect it is there for mostly Uninsured yachts....

If not, I think it would open up arguments over which policy is responsible and delay pay out...which is a common insurance trick.

FYI....when I deliver a Superyacht or commercial vessel worth + $60m their own insurance policy covers my actions, including willful negligence.

A proper boat insurance policy should cover the owner and/or skipper from their own stupidity or mistakes.

Old 18-01-2017, 16:53   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
When people display their lives on a public channel... does that not open them up for public criticism.? (Whether constructive or not)

I have been amazed by this phenomenon myself, But I also don't understand "selfies" I'm astonished by what I perceive to be the ego of it. I have to think either they are making money out of it, or are trying to. Or it's a 30 sec of fame kind of thing, they believe they are celebrities?

Old 18-01-2017, 16:54   #78

Quote:
The hired skipper should have his own liability insurance, which is there to cover his own acts of stupidity. The boat owners carry accident and liability insurance on the boat.
How many insurance companies will cover stupidity (or negligence)?
Old 18-01-2017, 17:00   #79
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
That...is exactly what they are there for.

In a perfect world there would never be a claim .
Old 18-01-2017, 17:17   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
In the medical field where I work, it's expected that my employer (a hospital) will carry liabilty insurance to cover acts of negligence on my part, and many nurses and most doctors also carry private liability insurance. Why should it be any different in the yacht delivery business? As a small business owner, we also carry a business owners liability insurance policy. You may not like it or agree, but that's just the way things are set up here in the USA... to protect people from bone-headed mistakes made by competent and incompetent people.
Old 18-01-2017, 17:31   #81

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

SNIP ........

7. This should be obvious, but I mention it because I just witnessed this two weeks ago, although it was under a fixed bridge. A Beneteau had it's autopilot on approaching a bridge and the helmsman went below as the boat approached the bridge. AP must have shut off or I don't know what but it veered right into a bridge abutment seawall, head on. Caved in the bow of the boat pretty good.

SNIP .....
The autopilot was almost certainly steering with a magnetic compass. The bridge was iron. Magnetic North? Not clear what that is when near so much iron.
Autopilots and large arbitrary magnetic structures = bad idea
Old 18-01-2017, 17:37   #82
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Using Autopilot in confined spaces, really bad idea and if commercial, illegal.
Old 18-01-2017, 17:45   #83
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Quote:
In the medical field where I work, it's expected that my employer (a hospital) will carry liabilty insurance to cover acts of negligence on my part, and many nurses and most doctors also carry private liability insurance. Why should it be any different in the yacht delivery business? As a small business owner, we also carry a business owners liability insurance policy. You may not like it or agree, but that's just the way things are set up here in the USA... to protect people from bone-headed mistakes made by competent and incompetent people.
I don't operate in the USA.. if I did insurance would be my last concern.. don't have a work permit.
And you may not have noticed but.. the outside worlds a different place.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
Old 18-01-2017, 17:51   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't operate in the USA.. if I did insurance would be my last concern.. don't have a work permit.
And you may not have noticed but.. the outside worlds a different place.
"And you may not have noticed but..." the bridge accident being discussed, took place in the USA and not in "the outside world.".
Old 18-01-2017, 17:52   #85

Quote:
A noble sentiment about financial responsibility. Unfortunately not shared by legislatures across the country or outside the US.

There are many a small business owners that are not sufficiently insured or bonded.

Medicine is the exception not the norm.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:09   #86

Boat: Passport 40

I believe most people that get into the YT "bought a boat, travel the world" are trying to replicate the success that others have had in being able to live off YT, Patreon and similar endeavors. Come on, if you could sail around the world, and get money in from "followers", wouldn't you? Some can only do a reality show type of thing, other's need to show some female properties (Rick Moore), in the end, it's what keeps some of them sailing. It's just a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have been amazed by this phenomenon myself, But I also don't understand "selfies" I'm astonished by what I perceive to be the ego of it. I have to think either they are making money out of it, or are trying to. Or it's a 30 sec of fame kind of thing, they believe they are celebrities?
Old 18-01-2017, 18:19   #87

It's repairable. Mostly glass work.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:29   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I believe most people that get into the YT "bought a boat, travel the world" are trying to replicate the success that others have had in being able to live off YT, Patreon and similar endeavors. Come on, if you could sail around the world, and get money in from "followers", wouldn't you? Some can only do a reality show type of thing, other's need to show some female properties (Rick Moore), in the end, it's what keeps some of them sailing. It's just a business.
For example, Sailing LaVagabonde, which churns a new episode weekly, brings in around $9000 per episode. And that's just patreon, they probably get some from YT as well. They probably make around $500K/year.

So, it is not a surprise that a lot of other are trying their luck. Buy a crapy cheap boat, a laptop and a gopro. Go sailing, get rich, working is so 1900.

Problem is the market is totally saturated now. If they don't bring something particular on top of hot chicks in bikini on a sailboat, nobody is watching.

So yeah, crash your boat on a bridge. Sink in a storm. Get eaten by a shark... They will need to up the ante if they want to fund their "dream".
Old 18-01-2017, 18:41   #89

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Addendum; another thing.. In my experience Stoopid is not age related.. done many stupid things ever since I could walk..
I don't know Boatie. In our family "Youngandstoopid" is one word.
Old 18-01-2017, 18:49   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I don't know Boatie. In our family "Youngandstoopid" is one word.
From what I can see in the Bridge accident video and what I read in the owner's blog, the young cruising couple were doing everything right. They had an acceptable budget, hired surveyors to look at several boats before making a decision and hired who they though was a competent skipper when they felt they were in over their heads. One prudent decision following another.

Unfortunately, an incompetent bonehead seems to have t-boned their plans. But I feel confident in predicting they'll be back on their feet soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
mast