Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 17:48   #1

Weather wise

Hi everyone,

Although this is under navigation, it is related to weather. I am curious to know how much people pay attention to the weather and the seasonal cycles that traditionally exist (that is to say traditional knowledge, local or internationally) when considering making long or short passages.
I guess i'm thinking of how much folks understand how to read the atmospheric conditions (clouds plus weather sets) when venturing out for a passage or a day sail and what to expect verses relying on external information ... just a thought.

For myself, I always consider the patterns , the sea state, the barometric pressure, flood or ebb ... I was just wondering if sailors today (especially new) understand the importance of all this information ... especially when it comes to listening to the old timers
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 18:15   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Weather wise

Hi, T-Birder,

We have a member here who does transatlantic deliveries: Boatman 61. He has often written about changing course due to what he observed in the clouds.

I pay enough attention to not schedule doctors' appointments for low tide dinghy access, and "too windy" wx for dinghy rides.

I think the new sailors learn to start paying attention more and more to the weather as they spend more time on the water. ...if they are inclined. No idea how many are so inclined, but we get questions here, frequently. What landlubbers compare sailing to is driving, and just as they would avoid getting caught out in a blizzard, they will avoid known bad weather. But they will not understand the cyclone's dangers till they've experienced them, just like we warm weather folks know a blizzard's bad, but some of us don't really know how bad. It is that one doesn't know what one does not know. Some are motivated to try and learn; others, not so much.

Ann

Tags
weather