Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2014, 21:56   #1

Weather info in the Indian Ocean

I am cruising around the Indian Ocean over the next couple of years and have been struggling to figure out how to get good weather information especially while at sea.

Back home in NZ I used VHF forecasts, grib files downloaded via satphone, and an occasional private passage forecaster (emailed to our satphone via sail mail) and I found this a brilliant combination. We did not have SSB.

However in Asia I face new issues with the need for early warnings for hurricanes (which are a weakness of using grib files). We do actually have SSB on this boat but the previous owner never used it.

Ideally I would like to have access to a hurricane warning system (via email or text or whatever), and I would also like to be able to access voice forecasts on my SSB in case my satphone malfunctions. I have not been able to find good info on the internet because so much information is focused on American cruising grounds, and most cruisers in SE Asia are just day-sailors.

Can anyone suggest good weather sources for this area?

TIA
SailingMum
SailingMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Weather info in the Indian Ocean

Tropical Cyclone Warning Centres
Global Tropical Cyclone Warning Centres
Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC)
Severe Weather Information Centre

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 06:48   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Weather info in the Indian Ocean

Weather data via SSB is something you might want to look into. The Australian weather service gives good reports of Indian Ocean conditions. This document gives the fax schedules for a number of Indian Ocean condition reports.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf

There are numerous threads here on CF that explain how to get weather data via SSB. SSB can receive both facsimile and email. For email you need a special modem but they are widely available <$1K. Sat phone is also a way to get data via email. There are also dedicated weather receivers available that provide weather charts via SSB.

I recommend that you practice receiving SSB weather facsimile products before heading out. It can be a bit frustrating at first but once you figure it out then it will seem easy.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
India, Indian Ocean, weather