Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 18:13   #46

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Two things we know about weather... 1...there is weather and 2..it will change..

" Going where the weather suits your clothes" is an option...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:50   #47

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
Have any of you read this? Pakistan's flood weather eased Atlantic hurricanes - environment - 03 September 2010 - New Scientist. Kinda cool
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42   #48

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Please, please, please, let's not turn this into another global warming debate. I agree with you. But that doesn't matter.

Simple fact is things are changing. How is it going to effect cruising (routes, destinations, seasons, etc.)?
I wasn't debating anything. Just thanking someone for a comment based on reality instead of panic.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:52   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
I wasn't debating anything. Just thanking someone for a comment based on reality instead of panic.
Panic! If it was panic, I'd be typing this from some safe landlubber location instead of at anchor, at the same spot I was at while most of this state was freaking out over Earlmageddon.

I was simply asking if and how people think changes in weather patterns will effect cruising.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28   #50

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I don't watch television or listen to the news because it's mostly hype and propaganda from people who have an agenda that they are pushing. I especially don't pay attention to anything said by hollywood or politicians about the weather.

I pay attention to the weather to a limited extent.

I look up in the sky, and see what's happening locally.
I check my barometer and see whether it's going up or down, and how fast.
I check the weather maps to see what's out there and what's coming in the next three days.

I don't believe any forcasts longer than three days.

It's really important to pay attention to forcasts if you are going day sailing. It can be the difference between a good day and a bad day, between life and death.

One of my friends sailing on a fifty foot yacht doesn't check the weather before he goes on passage. He knows that on a long passage you don't get to choose the weather for more than the first three days. He can do that with his eyeballs and his barometer without consulting the genius club to tell him what to do.

I have another friend who uses weather forcasts to find stormy weather that he can use to sail faster - weather routing allows him to sail on the edges of storms at high speed.

If there are any changes in weather patterns, they have not affected my cruising. I don't anticipate that changes in weather will appreciably affect my cruising in the future.

I am hoping for worse weather so that there will be less yachts out there - especially megayachts. It's getting too crowed.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:56   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
same as maxing out except we found the forecasts we actually listened to got us into storms more than just going for it...we hit all the fronts , it seems, as we attempted to avoid them--we were able to see the weather with greater accuracy than the weather reports we heard on vhf.

as far as the original question is concerned, i believe there are folks who will wait out weather, we did --only once. were disappointed, as we could and should have just gone for it.....after that we waited out individual storms and fronts that were forecast to have extreme electrical storm activity, as the winds were over 80kts...we sailed thru 71 kts and decided 80-100 was a bit much for even our tastes. yes there are sailing nuts out there who will not be deterred by any kind of weather--as we have just experienced a series of 3 weather pattern years-la nina , el nino, la nina, in sequence, i find a big problem with folks saying we are going thru climate changes--as these patterned weather sequences are our norm, despite the frequency of them. occasionally , nature and the sea gods have gone wakko in the weather patterning--it will fix--we have had a sunstorm. go figger.
we donot any longer have predictable weather?? did we ever have predictable weather?? there are cycles most folks forget about in our climate and weather patterns. these do n0t affect merely the west coast but the entire planet--these are oft forgot as we plan our outings and cruises, and experience earlmageddons and the like.
we crazy sea addicts will continue to sail and find holes in which to hide from momma nature's big deals--is all good. as was mentioned--maybe it WILL help keep the huge poweryachts from staying in some places.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 13:00   #52
Marine Service Provider

I agree 100%! Got rid of the TV when I moved aboard...although I still get sucked in a little when I visit land lubbers. And I canceled any web based news I got. It's all over sensationalized BS to get ratings, political propaganda, or non news. Like Lindsay Lohan going to jail. Who gives a ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
maybe it WILL help keep the huge poweryachts from staying in some places.....
I'd be happier if it kept all the little weekend warrior puttputt power boaters away.
Old 05-09-2010, 14:01   #53

those weekend ones are dangerous!!!! what they can see they dont!!! the shenanigans of others on the water is entertainment --i havent had tv since 9-11--and i only used that one for 5 mins before i got tired of the bs. real life is so much more fun.
Old 06-09-2010, 18:57   #54
Marine Service Provider

Not to mention obnoxious and inconsiderate and often unwilling to help another boater.

My personal favorite is the shenanigans of the ones at the boat ramp.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:03   #55

boat rams can provide many hours of unbridled entertainment-like when they allow the pull-toy to get swamped with the floaty toy..LOL....
Old 07-09-2010, 10:11   #56

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
If global warming is real (which I doubt), at least the Bahamas waters will be deeper.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:13   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
If global warming is real (which I doubt), at least the Bahamas waters will be deeper.
And the GA ICW!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:18   #58

lets sail over phoenix and dock in billings...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48   #59

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

Whatever you want to call it and whatever you believe, there's no arguing that the weather/climate is changing, becoming less predictable, and just stranger.

Or have I just watched too many Discover specials about rogue waves, super volcanoes, and mega tsunamis?
The climate IS achanging, it has ALWAYS been.

The weather is becoming MORE predictable. Thanks to technology.

I would not base MY view of the world based on Discovery Channel. They are a commercial enterprise designed to sell pictures and make profit. Drama sells well.

Titanic sank, and yet - the intrepid ones will go sailing...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 17:26   #60
Marine Service Provider

Really do I have to put a cut little emoticon after everything I say on here?

The Discover thing was a joke. I haven't even had a TV in a few years. Yes I agree the media is all about sensationalizing thing and keeping us scared.

If I was real that afraid of the weather...and Mega tsunami, I'd be anchored on a lake up in the Rockies.