Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 22:25   #16

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
12m would be about a 40' boat, which seems about right.
Ugly!
Old 23-07-2009, 22:27   #17

I would think that 12m stands for meters. Which means about 39 to 40 feet. I could be wrong but it looks like about that size.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 00:03   #18

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Ooooooooo don't you just love that corkscrew motion!!! That would have everyone running for the canned peaches*

I was thinking that some additional forward speed from a little bit more sail might be an advantage, particularly at the top of the wave where it looks like she's getting close to dropping below steerage speed. Then again, trailing a drogue or even a couple of lengths of rope would help to keep the aft end under control. Maybe a bit of both.

* Canned peaches are the best food for seasickness - they don't stop seasickness, but they taste just as good coming back as they did on the way down.
Old 24-07-2009, 01:38   #19

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
The History of the 12M Yacht

This is the history of the boat in the film. The 12mR is not the length, but a design rule and the yachts are between 19-22 metres long. 22 metres is 72 feet. Anita, the yacht on the film is 21.57 metres long.

The R-yachts were originally built for racing and were (are) quite popular here in northern europe and Scandinavia. Take a look at the data here Daten der 12 mR Yacht and you'll see that the hull really isn't designed for the conditions on the film. They were built for racing in quite sheltered waters, where they are exceptional sailors, especially when you consider the fact that they were designed and built in the very early 1900's.

The formula for calculating the class rule can be found here. 12mR Yacht Trivia

/Hampus
Old 24-07-2009, 02:43   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
No Idea where that is…but it looks like shallow water and opposing wind/tide.
That was also my guess. Looks sh#tty enough to be the North sea (or here).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 04:31   #21

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
It appears that his mizzen spreaders are ripped off?....that could be a problem!
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 07:05   #22

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
It is worth a read of all the comments on youtube.

I have only been sailing for about 4 years, and have only been off-shore once, in about 15 + ft seas, for a day and a half. ( in a modern Beneteau 36.7)

There are many comments critizing the skipper, and adding what could have been done better, which is all fine and good.

From where I sit though, I think that the man steering that beautiful hundred year old, 72ft boat likely had alot more skill and experience than most of us (certainly myself), and I think he did a hell of a job. The seas must be somewhere between 30-50ft, as the boat is 72' long.

Many comments on youtube recommend a drogue, while others point out that you can see a drouge in the video, if you look closely.

Either way, I would say that skipper knows what he is doing. As someone else pointed out though, it wasn't designed for that type of weather.

It is funny to read all of the comments by people who failed to take the time to read previous comments (on Youtube)!! After it was clearly stated to be a 72' boat, many people judge it to be around 40', and therefore judge the seas accordingly, around 15' or so. Laughable!
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 08:04   #23

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
I've seen stuff like this but a bit less crossing the mouth Potomac. It was 6 to 8 ft chop in 35 knots gusting to 40. The long fetch with a counter tide sets up this kind of pattern but a few feet less in height. Once we crossed the waves dropped 2 more feet and the 4 to 6 ft waves in the same wind were far easier. Even that isn't easy.
I have seen this at the mouth of the potomac as well, hey did you find a new dingy floating upside down around there??
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 09:20   #24

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Needs more sail.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 10:07   #25

Boat: San Juan 28
"Orkan" is German for hurricane, by the way.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2009, 00:37   #26

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Hampus - thanks for the explanation of the 12mR -- and WOW, if that yacht is 70-something feet, then WOW, the perspective really changes. As it always it, photos and videos never capture the true power of the ocean at any given level, esp as it worsens. THeir is this to be said -- the skipper of that boat obviously handled those conditions for awhile, and enough for someone to film him/her. ANd, as a success story, hats off. All boats handle differently, and we all learn, one way or another, what works. Or not.
Old 25-07-2009, 01:10   #27

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 46 Ketch "Meanda"
Just like Port Phillip Heads in Melbourne Australia in a southerly with a run out tide
meanda46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia