Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2012, 05:56   #31
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Using a Delivery Skipper / Crew - Tips & Advice (and Horror Stories!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
My experience in doing dozens of deliveries is that most of the time, things go well. Sure, you get a few breakdowns or delays due to weather, but generally speaking, we arrive within the expected time frame and the boat is fine. A few times, things really go wrong and in every case this can be traced back to the owner being cheap, rushed or ignorant and not taking advice from the delivery captain. All the rest is commentary and details, so let me repeat--in every case this can be traced back to the owner being cheap, rushed or ignorant and not taking advice from the delivery captain. The opposite or vice verse is also generally true. Things turn out well when the owner understand he has to spend some money, is not in a hurry and listens to the professional he has hired. When the first and/or only communication from the prospective owner is "What does it cost?"....run away..fast! Or try to be helpful, answer questions but beware...it's a sure quick flashing buoy! Danger or junction ahead! Thank you.
That's the sort of stuff I was hoping this thread would capture .

My take is that most deliveries will be straightforward enough (insofar as anything boat related is, especially when going distance) - but what an Owner is paying for is principally someone who:-

a) can deal with less than perfection (within reason!), on boat, weather and timescale.

and

b) can cope with "events" (weather / breakages / bad luck)

Human nature being what it is - folks don't like paying for what they expect not to use. and probably won't. probably.

or are just pig ignorant .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 06:29   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

on one biscay delivery with the owner along as crew,on his newly self refitted motor sailor,in the supermarket pre trip shop i had to insist on buying 10x 5 liter bottels of mineral water,as i never go offshore without a reserve incase of tank contamination.

this guy was adamant that we didnt need the water,at a cost of £8,as he had a big 1000 liter tank........

well the trip was going well and by the second night we were just getting out of the irish sea,about to push into the atlantic to cross the biscay
,during the night i had noticed the bilge pump pumping water over the side,but as it coincided with crew using the toilet for which he had wired the light up to the shower drain pump,and warned me about i disregarded it.

that morning the owner got up and offered to make tea,a few minutes later he said we might have to wait as he thought the pump had stopped working,and there was no water and was going down to the engine room to check the connection..........

a minute later he was back up,saying we might have to turn around as during the refit he had forgotten to tighten a hose clamp,the pump worked fine as did the automatic bilge pump,effortlessly pumping all 1000liters of water overboard during the night!!!!!

with a smug look on my face i said not to worry as there was 50 liters under my bunk,and a quick stop in ireland with a small detour to fill the tank would sort it,and could i have milk and 2 sugars...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 07:10   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I don't think asking "how much will it cost" is a reason to run away. It's when the owner can't afford it, then that's a good reason for a client review.
Old 25-09-2012, 07:22   #34

Boat: 41' Sail

Sweet!
Old 25-09-2012, 07:29   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think he was under the impression that all the boat needed was a quick scrape,then push off so he could do the work on the cheap in france once it got there!
France is now considered a low cost destination????????
Old 25-09-2012, 08:58   #36

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
My experience in doing dozens of deliveries is that most of the time, things go well. Sure, you get a few breakdowns or delays due to weather, but generally speaking, we arrive within the expected time frame and the boat is fine. A few times, things really go wrong and in every case this can be traced back to the owner being cheap, rushed or ignorant and not taking advice from the delivery captain. All the rest is commentary and details, so let me repeat--in every case this can be traced back to the owner being cheap, rushed or ignorant and not taking advice from the delivery captain. The opposite or vice verse is also generally true. Things turn out well when the owner understand he has to spend some money, is not in a hurry and listens to the professional he has hired. When the first and/or only communication from the prospective owner is "What does it cost?"....run away..fast! Or try to be helpful, answer questions but beware...it's a sure quick flashing buoy! Danger or junction ahead! Thank you.
In my opinion this is a bit exaggerated and makes it sound like all delivery skippers are gods and owners are all muppets.
Just like in every profession there are the good, the bad and the ugly!

Sure, there are owners who are annoying or cheap but there are also owners who know their boat better than the delivery skipper and keep her ship shape and even some owners who have the experience to deliver the boat themselves but not the time.

If I spoke to a Skipper who told me "be prepared to spend a lot of money or else I'm not interested in your delivery" I would walk away.

If there is no mutual respect there is no point in doing business. Respect an experienced and professional skipper but also respect an owner who may be a very experienced and professional baker, butcher or banker.

Should the baker take this attitude when the skipper comes into his shop?
"You better not be wasting my time, I spent thousands on my oven and I was up at 5am preparing these croissants you know..."!
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 10:27   #37

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

In addition to knowing how to fix everything with only the materials at hand, a good delivery skipper will know not to press the boat. If the skipper brought a boat back from Hawaii in 10 days, you probably don't want him.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:49   #38

GREAT point of pushing the boat or her crew! Home from Hawaii in 10 days would be something especially if it was to SoCal! I've seen it done on some sleds, however..but my two best times to SoCal from Oahu and Kaua'i are 15 and 16 days repespective on a Jeanneau 52.2 which we also raced over in 12 and 14 days respective. I always put a proper reef in the main, regardless of the seas/winds and delivery direction and it only comes out upon arrival. Has workled well for me over the many years..
Old 25-09-2012, 13:51   #39

Boat: Ohlson 38

So what exactly are the typical minimum requirements you delivery guys require? A new life raft, epirb, toilet, types of food? Recent survey? And....seriously, just how much does it cost? Is Atoll's 150 per day typical?

Would you be willing to serve as Captain and instructor to a new owner?

If this is too far off topic I can start a new thread?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:22   #40
Marine Service Provider

To Sander and the others....My admonition is about owners who inquire primarily or solely about the cost before or in place of asking anything else--or telling us anything else... Would anyone inquire of a lawyer, accountant, medical doctor or any other professional in the same manner? When a highly experienced, competent boat owner who knows his boat makes an inquiry, it will likely be to tell about the boat, the anticipated route, dates etc and then ask about the experience and familiarity of the captain. Delivery skippers don't have to worry about such owners and my comments are not directed toward them. I have had some owners who were highly skilled and they know what's involved. The irony is that the cheap ones expect a labor market while they darn well ought to know that with what they would like to pay us, they would never take to do their work--and if they did, could never afford to buy the boat they don't even know how to handle. That is the big irony.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:26   #41
Marine Service Provider

This depends on many factors as each trip is different. No, $150 per day is not typical and is nowhere near enough for most of us. Could anyone, even if he worked every single day, earn a good living at this? How about when you consider the risks and the lack of benefits or security--the gear and equipment needed and the fact that this is for a 24 hour day? You have to ask if you would work for that--especially if you had a federal license, as most of us do. I would certainly be pleased to discuss working with you and answer any questions based on your boat, destination, time of year, etc. and I am in Maryland. How may I be of service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
So what exactly are the typical minimum requirements you delivery guys require? A new life raft, epirb, toilet, types of food? Recent survey? And....seriously, just how much does it cost? Is Atoll's 150 per day typical?

Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:26   #42

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I tend to fall on the delivery crew side.

I am paying another to do a job I don't want to do or don't have time to do. He is trusting my abilities to maintain the boat and it's equipment, while traveling hundreds of miles off shore. All at a fair price.

On the other hand, since he is working for me, I expect him to take care of my belongings as if they are his. I also expect him to let me know of any potential problems before he leaves and constult with me about any repiars he proposes to make (or have made in the next port) unless they affect the safety of the vessel and the crew.

I'm not a delivery captain, I don't want the hassels or the job, but I'm glad SOMEONE is willing to do the job!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 14:31   #43

Hello Virgina Boy- For me, there are a number of items to consider. Some easy, some negotiable, some not. Length of delivery determines a lot of the mandatory items.

-Required safety gear
-Working mechanical equipment
-Electronis-Radar Mandatory-Chart Plotter-Recommended but I carry my own live tracking on my puter with Garmin nRoute and MapTech digital chartsd
-Boat survey is nice but not mandatory
-LiferaftNot required for some
-Epirb not necessary for some I carry SPOT sat tracker and has emergency button linked to Search and Rescue.
-Food is easy- easy prepare stuff, lots of sandwiches
-Toilet-Mandatory! LOL!
-Tools-Mandatory
-Spare parts-Belts, all filters, oil, impellers-Mandatory
-Through hull plugs-Mandatory

A few other items as well, but I would prefer to discuss other issues and costs via email. If you wouldl like to discuss further, please email me : earthakat at msn dot com

Cheers, Jeffry
Old 25-09-2012, 15:00   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post

hey you are selling me too cheap! thats pounds i quoted!,still cheap @ $250 a day!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 15:25   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

So if I wanted to find a delivery skipper for Cairns - Darwin and Darwin - Bali where should I look?

I know it's a milk run, but at some stage it could be very nice to say "Put the boat in Darwin." or "Take the boat to Bali." Not getting any younger.

And what sort of condition would yous want the boat to be in, what sort of gear on board and how much time is needed?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, delivery, skipper