Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07   #1

Boat: Nonsuch30
Use the Sail Cover - Moving Every Day?

I am planing a cruise from Lake Ontario to the Bahamas via the ICW. I hope to anchor out most nights. At home I always put the sail cover on after a days' sailing, to protect the sail from UV, dirt etc. Do most cruisers leave the sail cover off when moving every day?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Use the Sail Cover - Moving Every Day?

When I go somewhere and stop late in the day with a plan to leave early in the next morning; I don't put my cover back on.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

My choice is like Don's above. If it's daytime and I'm not using the sails; then, they are covered.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

If it blows up in the middle of the night it is nice to have everything under control. You don't want the main blowing around in a squall.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When I used to take my CS36M south I covered the main after every use. Of course on the ICW this was not that often although we used to try and motorsail whenever the wind was favourable. Now on the 393 I just furl the damn thing. One of the great advantages of in-mast furling. Love to sit in the cockpit with a drink in my hand while my buddies with "traditional" mains are flaking and covering.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesFCook View Post
If it blows up in the middle of the night it is nice to have everything under control. You don't want the main blowing around in a squall.

The Dutchman lines keep my sail on the boom and I do put some ties on it. But yes if I feel it is going to be nasty that night I put the cover on.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
When I go somewhere and stop late in the day with a plan to leave early in the next morning; I don't put my cover back on.

Same here.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My choice is like Don's above. If it's daytime and I'm not using the sails; then, they are covered.
+1 to both.

I have lazy jacks that help stack the main when lowered. I just tie down at night. Personal opinion only - not a personal attack, I would NEVER use a roller furling main. I ran a 50' Gulfstar with the Hood system. We were based in Marathon and the wind was about 20kts and when we were returning the track failed with about 75% of the sail still out. It was a mess trying to get back to the dock.... This was the inside the mast system.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvick View Post
+1 to both.

I have lazy jacks that help stack the main when lowered. I just tie down at night. Personal opinion only - not a personal attack, I would NEVER use a roller furling main. I ran a 50' Gulfstar with the Hood system. We were based in Marathon and the wind was about 20kts and when we were returning the track failed with about 75% of the sail still out. It was a mess trying to get back to the dock.... This was the inside the mast system.

Apparently you didn't read the manual before going out, pretty common amongst those who complain of problems with in-mast. The Hood in-mast has both a manual backup which is activated with a single toggle at the mast and a quick-release at the base of the stay which allows you to pull the sail down if the gears jam thus disabling even the manual backup, which I can't imagine actually happening but there it is. At least mine does, maybe yours was some sort of cheap Hood knock off. I too really enjoy kicking back with a drink with all of my many sails furled and watching others wrestle canvas. I also enjoy single handing my 62' ,65000# ketch without even breaking a sweat. So does my diminutive wife.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:41   #10

I dont for an overnight stop. But you will want to have it, because you may be weeks in one spot when you settle into cruising mode.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

whennot in use my sails ar bound after flaking so they dont escape--i rarely if ever use my main--jib n mizzen are great--keeps from knocking down in unexpected pacific winds--when i get to anchorages, i flake n tie well so nothing escapes...in sun, cover so sun doesnt kill what is left of my sails.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 13:53   #12

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

I almost always use the sail cover, for there are so many seagulls flying around and I don't want to collect guano on the mainsail.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:11   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

burdeez landing on my boat--even seagulls --are bubba fodder--he is gooood-got his first seagull in maztlan--goood kitty. silent hunter--somany gatos re noisey hunters-bubba is silent and deadly.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 16:14   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Unless there wet they get coverd, if wet they get lashed down well!! Ive lost a main sail do to a willa waw coming up at about 3 in the morning And flogging it beyound repair in about 5 minutes before I got it under control So now in my old age i cover or lash them very well !! Mostly because I can't afford to replace them with out going back to work !!LOL
Old 03-06-2012, 16:32   #15

Do not cover sails when stopping over night. Sail ties or gaskets to keep it well secured to the boom with the dutchman system. Cover is for UV protection... not needed at night anyway... so only put on when the sail would be exposed for days to the sun (and not sailing)... a waste of time... better spent on studying the weather.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover