Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 16:46   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Use the Sail Cover - Moving Every Day?

The only time I was on the ICW...from Morehead City to Norfolk, we never had the opportunity to use our sails. No one else had their sails up going in either direction. I don't think you will be doing much sailing.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:52   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Do not cover sails when stopping over night. Sail ties or gaskets to keep it well secured to the boom with the dutchman system. Cover is for UV protection... not needed at night anyway... so only put on when the sail would be exposed for days to the sun (and not sailing)... a waste of time... better spent on studying the weather.
I find a half an inch of steel is pretty good UV protection.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 20:55   #18

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
The only time I was on the ICW...from Morehead City to Norfolk, we never had the opportunity to use our sails. No one else had their sails up going in either direction. I don't think you will be doing much sailing.
Jealous?

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Do not cover sails when stopping over night. Sail ties or gaskets to keep it well secured to the boom with the dutchman system. Cover is for UV protection... not needed at night anyway... so only put on when the sail would be exposed for days to the sun (and not sailing)... a waste of time... better spent on studying the weather.
Mostly agree.

The sail cover comes off and the main halyard is attached before leaving the dock. The cover goes on and the halyard comes off back at the dock. Tie the halyard through the foremost sail tie and harden it slightly to prevent halyard slap.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 00:41   #20

I have had to leave an anchoage at night as the weather turns bad, so do not put the cover on. Sails more powerful than motor. I always cover during the day. I/2 life of dacron sails about 6 months of sunlight. Do the maths and see what it cost you to leave them out.
Cheers,
ChrisSR

Be prepared.
rsSIRHc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:56   #21

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design
Wink Re: Use the Sail Cover - Moving Every Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
When I used to take my CS36M south I covered the main after every use. Of course on the ICW this was not that often although we used to try and motorsail whenever the wind was favourable. Now on the 393 I just furl the damn thing. One of the great advantages of in-mast furling. Love to sit in the cockpit with a drink in my hand while my buddies with "traditional" mains are flaking and covering.

I love to sail by the guys with roachless, battenless small furling mains.
Old 06-06-2012, 14:08   #22

Boat: In between boats

If I stop someplace for more than an hour, I'll put the cover on. Sails are expensive and anything I can do to keep my sails lasting longer, I will It doesn't take more than 5 min to cover them, and another 5 to uncover them.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:17   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

For those interested in getting the best R.O.I. on their expensive mainsail, cover it after your day's sail. It prevents unnecessary UV damage, prevents staining from bird droppings, prevents water from collecting in the pockets(possible staining and degrading stitching) and looks very shipshape at anchor. As another respondant mentioned, it takes less than five minutes and is well worth the effort. When we cruised the Florida Keys, Bahamas and Virgin Islands and moved from anchorage to anchorage, we always furled our main and covered it at days end. Our mainsail has over 16,000 miles sailed, offshore and inshore, and with several professional cleanings during that period still looks and performs as new.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:26   #24

I've never experience damage from UV with my 3 mainsails over 27 years... including offshore for maybe 20,000 mi. I've had one or two bird dropping attacks and it came when I was away and the sail cover was on anyway. It does take about 5 minutes to take on and put on... but the area of the sail and stitching exposed to UV is hardly the 440 SF that it has on each side when it is hoisted.

I did have some likely UV damage which weakened the cover on the roller furling genny which ripped off in some heavy weather when we tacked.

I know how destructive UV is but covering the sail all the time is simply not worth the effort. The sail is covered when we are away or staying put in the anchorage.

I think a neatly flaked sail on a boom is no less sharp looking than a main with a sail cover on.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:33   #25

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Take 5 minutes if you dont have lazy jack and a large bimini on the way. Mine was a big pita to put it. I just intalled a stackpack
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSR View Post
I have had to leave an anchoage at night as the weather turns bad, so do not put the cover on. Sails more powerful than motor. I always cover during the day. I/2 life of dacron sails about 6 months of sunlight. Do the maths and see what it cost you to leave them out.
Cheers,
ChrisSR

Be prepared.
Good point in a strange anchorage. I've had to do it too...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:29   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

If we come to an anchorage late and expect to depart next morning we do not cover. Otherwise we cover.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover