Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2019, 08:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape Dory 30C
USCG Navigator Class outline+online slideshow

The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary’s Weekend Navigation Course is a comprehensive course designed for both experienced and novice powerboat and sailboat operators.

I wrote a quick reference and outline, hopefully useful as a review or study for someone learning or reviewing water navigation. Link here.

I took this class that's taught by Bill Anderson in San Diego. I listed his contact info with his consent of course, for anyone local.
Zekmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 15:49   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: USCG Navigator Class outline+online slideshow

That's a tough one to teach. Hats off to anyone who can do it well.

We had better luck expanding the Navigation chapter in the Aux BS&S course to a two-class seminar, including homework using local charts. That covers the majority of casual boaters, while the full Navigation course is great for those rare individuals who actually like this stuff.

I hear the Power Squadron's Navigation class is pretty good, too. I haven't taken that one.

The hardest thing to find, and the one most people want, is a good "how to use my chartplotter" course. It's hard because everyone has different hardware, and just wants to learn which buttons to push, without the background required to know why you're pushing them or what's really going on inside the box. I'd love to find a good way to cover enough theory so they can figure out which buttons to push on any device, without boring them to tears.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 21:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape Dory 30C
Re: USCG Navigator Class outline+online slideshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
That's a tough one to teach. Hats off to anyone who can do it well.

We had better luck expanding the Navigation chapter in the Aux BS&S course to a two-class seminar, including homework using local charts. That covers the majority of casual boaters, while the full Navigation course is great for those rare individuals who actually like this stuff.

I hear the Power Squadron's Navigation class is pretty good, too. I haven't taken that one.

The hardest thing to find, and the one most people want, is a good "how to use my chartplotter" course. It's hard because everyone has different hardware, and just wants to learn which buttons to push, without the background required to know why you're pushing them or what's really going on inside the box. I'd love to find a good way to cover enough theory so they can figure out which buttons to push on any device, without boring them to tears.
Agree to how difficult this course to teach comment. I like that idea about assignments, definitely will help. Bill does a good job at explaining the core subject of pre planning and plotting. I have already had once stuck my self in a shallow part of a waterway this course definitely will be an arsenal when navigating the ocean.
Zekmeister is offline   Reply With Quote