Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 04:14   #1
Registered User
 
LakeSuperior's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Posts: 1,581
Images: 7
Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Here's a link on the Sedona rescue. A couple Aussies out for a winter sail had to be lifted off. The story said that they left from Rhode Island on Friday. The storm had been in the news since at least Thursday.

What were these guys thinking??

Australia-Bound Sailors Rescued At Sea During Blizzard « CBS Boston
__________________

__________________
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:07   #2
Registered User
 
Southcoasting's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Boat: Tartan 34C
Posts: 64
Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona

When I first seen this on the local news, my wife said it was off the coast of Cape Cod...I thought to myself, nah, that can't be right...We've had a brutal winter with record snowfall, high winds and abnormally low temperatures...Must be in the Caribbean or something...Plus, we just had another nasty winter storm this past weekend with high winds, multiple feet of snow, and temps in the negatives...

Well, sure enough, she was right...I thought, wow, why would you even think about it? Then, when I pulled up this article about it online, I see these guys bought the boat on ebay. I then thought to myself, even worse! I always talk to my wife about these stories of people who buy boats and right away, decide to take it across oceans...I don't know the details behind how they inspected the boat, etc before taking it across an ocean but still, I would not feel comfortable doing it unless I've had a few trips on it locally...maybe they squeezed some in?

Mainly however, it reminds me that these kinds of situations are based solely on decisions...I have read a few of the tragic events that happened as they are posted to forums or blogs, etc and always think, these situations are ones which are avoidable based on decisions that I feel are wrong. Again, I am stating only the ones I've read about...I'm a fair weather sailor and watch weather closely even if I'm day sailing...As a captain of my ship, I just would not even think about it...Plain and simple.

So in many ways, the scary situations of most of the rescues you read about are just horrible decisions. This is definitely, IMO, no exception:

Coast Guard Rescue 021515

Do you guys see this differently by any chance?
__________________

__________________
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:26   #3
Registered User
 
Greatketch33's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting
When I first seen this on the local news, my wife said it was off the coast of Cape Cod...I thought to myself, nah, that can't be right...We've had a brutal winter with record snowfall, high winds and abnormally low temperatures...Must be in the Caribbean or something...Plus, we just had another nasty winter storm this past weekend with high winds, multiple feet of snow, and temps in the negatives... Well, sure enough, she was right...I thought, wow, why would you even think about it? Then, when I pulled up this article about it online, I see these guys bought the boat on ebay. I then thought to myself, even worse! I always talk to my wife about these stories of people who buy boats and right away, decide to take it across oceans...I don't know the details behind how they inspected the boat, etc before taking it across an ocean but still, I would not feel comfortable doing it unless I've had a few trips on it locally...maybe they squeezed some in? Mainly however, it reminds me that these kinds of situations are based solely on decisions...I have read a few of the tragic events that happened as they are posted to forums or blogs, etc and always think, these situations are ones which are avoidable based on decisions that I feel are wrong. Again, I am stating only the ones I've read about...I'm a fair weather sailor and watch weather closely even if I'm day sailing...As a captain of my ship, I just would not even think about it...Plain and simple. So in many ways, the scary situations of most of the rescues you read about are just horrible decisions. This is definitely, IMO, no exception: Coast Guard Rescue 021515 Do you guys see this differently by any chance?
Video shows the CG being lowered near boat while the mast of the boat makes a wide swing. How do they get on the boat without the rescue cage or cable not hitting the mast, spreaders, or shrouds I wonder. Those guys are skilled indeed.

Sailors are lucky; could have been a no return one way sail.

Would like to hear a follow up to this story.
__________________
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:31   #4
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Please forgive my geographic ignorance here... but there's no chance it's the Aussie bloke and his dad mentioned on a previous thread, who bought the boat in the US and planned to sail it home to Australia?

I can't find the thread, and my grasp of North American geography is not terrific.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:42   #5
Registered User
 
Delancey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Boat: sunk by irma
Posts: 3,462
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Here's the backstory.
Father-son duo delays trip back home to Australia - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Local State
__________________
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:46   #6
Registered User
 
Delancey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Boat: sunk by irma
Posts: 3,462
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

And some more.

Once in a lifetime - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Page One

"We've never done anything like this. Dad's not even a sailor, but he's a quick study"

"1995 Carrol Marine" "winning eBay bid $10,000" "boat needed more work than he excepted" "got to know West Marine workers by first name" "expects the trip to Australia to take six to eight weeks"
__________________
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:51   #7
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Oh dear, oh dear. Not the best image of Ozzie blokes being presented here. Is there a blush emoticon on here somewhere?


Matt


P.S. Heartfelt thanks to the terrific USCG.
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:18   #8
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Wow...

Just Wow....

How did that not work out????
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:22   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,115
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

In the past 4 wks or so, Bermuda has had 2 days when the wind was below 20- 25 knots, with many days gusting to 50kts. 68kts yesterday. We get diluted East Coast weather, so I can imagine what it has been like west of us for the last month.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:34   #10
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Should there be a law against stupidity? Just asking.

I thought reading the earlier thread about these two that someone suggested that someone should go and have a talk with these two wing nuts before they set sail. Sometimes we are our brothers keeper.

regards,
Chaya
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:06   #11
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,051
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh dear, oh dear. Not the best image of Ozzie blokes being presented here. Is there a blush emoticon on here somewhere?


Matt


P.S. Heartfelt thanks to the terrific USCG.
To be nice, I'll say silliness knows no boundaries, although it is usually people form the US isn't it?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:09   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Out there doin' it
Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Posts: 2,635
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I can't find the thread, and my grasp of North American geography is not terrific.
Neither is the McGlashans'- if they think it's only 8600 miles from Rhode Island to Port Macquarie.
__________________
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:11   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

From the rescue story:

"Initial on-scene weather conditions were nine-foot seas and building, with 40-mph winds. By the time the crew was recovered, conditions had deteriorated to 25-foot seas and winds of nearly 60 mph. Seas are forecasted to build to 34 feet into the evening. The water temperature was 43 degrees and the air temperature was 35 degrees, according to the press release."
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:17   #14
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,599
Images: 7
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh dear, oh dear. Not the best image of Ozzie blokes being presented here. Is there a blush emoticon on here somewhere?


Matt


P.S. Heartfelt thanks to the terrific USCG.
Don't worry. We knew you had your share of morons, same as we do.
__________________
Cruising again!
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 07:23   #15
Moderator
 
carstenb's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Posts: 4,939
Images: 1
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

It goes beyond the boundries of my imagination -

Just what the hell were they thinking?

Like the Wolfhound story - Were they thinking at all?

True Darwin award canditates.
__________________

__________________
I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted - Elmore Leonard
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nantucket, rescue, sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alpha 42 "Be Good Too" rescue 300 miles off Cape Henry Merged Cormorant Cruising News & Events 815 22-01-2017 21:15
Three Canadian Sailors Rescued off Hawai terminalcitygrl Seamanship & Boat Handling 94 21-02-2012 18:13



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.