Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 09:24   #31

Boat: Brewer 44
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

what happens to the boat? Does it become a marine hazard?

Bill
s/v Aquila
Brewer 44
bfiegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:34   #32

Double handed, one crew with no experience. No self-steering gear. Relying on an autopilot.

Not sure if crew fatigue was a contributing factor in the decision to bail but without power how long can a single guy last driving in conditions that demand a high level of skill and constant vigilance?

Do you put the guy with no experience at the helm? What if they're too scared to try? No experience driving the boat can be dangerous. Things can get broken. Sails can get torn.

One-on-one-off gets old for two guys with experience. Driving a boat in a gale is hard work. Must have been cold out there....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aft.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	97225  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:41   #33
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
"Stone said the sailors called for help around 5 a.m. when their 43-foot boat lost power and had its sails torn."

No mention of taking on water. As long as they had a functioning rudder, it seems they could've remained on board, jury-rigged a shred to be their storm sail, and been pushed by the northwesterlies right to Bermuda. Then it would've maybe only required a tow for the final few miles into harbor.
Well, if their ultimate goal was Near-Certain Death, yeah, that might have been the ticket... ;-)

Those pleasant northwesterlies weren't gonna last even halfway to Bermuda, chances are they might have wound up right in the eye of the next low in the vicinity of the Stream... Yeah, that would have been sweet...

Getting lifted off that POS when they did was the ONLY remotely sensible thing those guys ever did...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:41   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Double handed, one crew with no experience. No self-steering gear. Relying on an autopilot to get to OZ.

Worked for me... so far..
Guess that makes me a bad influence...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:51   #35

Boat: Scanmar 40
Angry re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Please forgive my geographic ignorance here... but there's no chance it's the Aussie bloke and his dad mentioned on a previous thread, who bought the boat in the US and planned to sail it home to Australia?

I can't find the thread, and my grasp of North American geography is not terrific.

Matt
Same thing crossed my mind, how many Australian father and son combination have bought a boat off ebay intending to sail it home. It has to be them! Makes me cringe!!!!!
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Double handed, one crew with no experience. No self-steering gear. Relying on an autopilot to get to OZ.

Worked for me... so far..
Guess that makes me a bad influence...
Yeah. But what time of the year, leaving from where and in what kind of boat? An eBay boat with nary a system that proved reliable? In any case I'll always choose a wind vane over a human for reliable crew anyway... Experienced or otherwise. The human that is.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 09:57   #37
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Double handed, one crew with no experience. No self-steering gear. Relying on an autopilot.

Not sure if crew fatigue was a contributing factor in the decision to bail but without power how long can a single guy last driving in conditions that demand a high level of skill and constant vigilance?

Do you put the guy with no experience at the helm? What if they're too scared to try? No experience driving the boat can be dangerous. Things can get broken. Sails can get torn.

One-on-one-off gets old for two guys with experience. Driving a boat in a gale is hard work. Must have been cold out there....
Add in the fact that such a boat requires the use of checkstays and running backs to keep the rig in the boat... First accidental gybe in those conditions could have easily brought the whole shebang down...

One really is at a loss of words, to even begin to scratch the surface surrounding the stupidity of this stunt...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:08   #38

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

As an old CG hoist operator, who has gone out on rescues in weather such as what these two would be sailors were in, when they got into trouble.... We pray a lot, when we have the time....
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:14   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Add in the fact that such a boat requires the use of checkstays and running backs to keep the rig in the boat... First accidental gybe in those conditions could have easily brought the whole shebang down...
I've wondered if this wasn't the case with Rainmaker. What do you do in a puff? Drive the boat down. What happens when you drive too deep....

Regarding the Carroll Marine NM43, bet you five bucks you have to dismount the wheel to fit the emergency tiller on this thing.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:26   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

stillbuilding said:
Quote:
Well it would not be my choice of a boat for comfort, but of course they will make it.
Two mature smart people can handle that no problem. Boat looks adequate if Spartan.
Sneak down the East coast carefully, across the PAcific and you are home. She'll be right mate.
I'm kind of hoping he never gets to built. But, she'll be right mate.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:47   #41

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
stillbuilding said:
I'm kind of hoping he never gets to built. But, she'll be right mate.
He did say 'smart people'.
Oh and the Pacific is easy...thats why its called the Pacific...right?
Old 16-02-2015, 10:53   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
As an old CG hoist operator, who has gone out on rescues in weather such as what these two would be sailors were in, when they got into trouble.... We pray a lot, when we have the time....
Quite a few of us thank you for your service, just hope I never need it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:53   #43

Others have sailed single handedly from the USA to Australia, sich as John Caldwell who had zero experience and after many adventures reached down under in a 20ft yacht. Details here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...sperate_Voyage

I listened to the audio book from audible ("Amazing sailing stories", compiled by Dick Durham).

Today we (me included) would call many of these nutters but I guess when they succeeded and overcame adversity they're heroes). Most made a real effort and didn't (couldn't) call for help at the first sign of danger. The audio book is a lovely listen on a quiet night!
Regards Barry

Sent from my SM-C101 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Timerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
THANK YOU for your service.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 10:54   #45

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Quite a few of us thank you for your service, just hope I never need it
+1 and thanks from here also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket, rescue, sail