Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 06:50   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Two cruising boats missing in the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
zeehag,

Thanks for trying to keep this thread on track.

Your sense of Mr. Carr, is he a practical, boat-competent sort of guy? If so, his chances of a successful journey are much better.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for him.

Ann
he seems appropriate and knows what to have fixed. i think he can bleed his own engine in a seaway. i know i cannot so i borrow crew and shanghai. but..... he had repairs done before leaving, his boat is a good boat in appearance and function.
only issue is the sleep deprivation issue. that is the only issue he didnot address. he fueled up well and he stowed much water, as well as having a watermaker, reprovisioned foods and needs for the trip--enough fro 3-6 months.
he does have ssb and is able to read his own weather well. seems to have sensibility, as opposed to panic state reactivity.
i think he should be ok, but in dire need of sleeping.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you do not know Richard, a hearty hale 45 looking 71. healthy and almost ready for the trip except for the sleep deprivation issue. had you been his neighbor for weeks you would not be so glib about declaring his death. his daughter is aware of what can happen. we had long chat. it is most disrespectful to family to presume his premature demise at this time.
as I stated, have respect, as family is reading. so are friends.
With respect, I don't think you got what RoverHI was getting at.

As I understand him, he means that we all "go under God", especially at these more advanced ages, and that being in the middle of the Pacific on a cruising boat is not necessarily the main risk.

One of my best friends, 61 and looking 40, marathon runner, a picture of perfect health, dropped dead at his dining room table just a couple of months ago.

It can happen to any of us, at any moment. We are mortal. That's all there is to it. Live every day like it's your last.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:25   #78

most of marathon runners I knew have croaked of sudden causes. seems running aint so good for ye.
extremes kill. this man is not an extremist. he IS, however, a psych prof, so he could go any second .......
Old 11-06-2017, 09:39   #79

Boat: a sailing boat

People at sea are neither dead nor alive. I think Greeks have a special word for this.

Any good news about the two boats in question?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
People at sea are neither dead nor alive. I think Greeks have a special word for this.

b.

I posted yesterday when ali sent me a message in answer to my request for update--she said there is one boat seen by uscg about 700 miles out from hiva oa, but there is no way to know name of it--Tuesday is a day they will send a plane to see... so we wait until Tuesday for further update.
I guess my posting got lost in the discussion of death on highways and other methods of killing self that have so derailed this used to be purposeful thread.
at present there are 3 boats -- 2 are overdue, one unreported as yet, and one in distress--celebration is not yet overdue but was reported in distress., sea nymph left hawaii for hiva oa and was reported over due.
\ the third also left Oahu for hiva oa well before sea nymph. has not as yet arrived nor has this one been reported as overdue. i donot remember the name of this one.(friends of my dock neighbor)
\we will see who it is that has been "found" when the report has been sent to ali, as she will notify me when that occurs.
Old 11-06-2017, 15:26   #81

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
I posted yesterday when ali sent me a message in answer to my request for update--she said there is one boat seen by uscg about 700 miles out from hiva oa, but there is no way to know name of it--Tuesday is a day they will send a plane to see... so we wait until Tuesday for further update.
I guess my posting got lost in the discussion of death on highways and other methods of killing self that have so derailed this used to be purposeful thread.
at present there are 3 boats -- 2 are overdue, one unreported as yet, and one in distress--celebration is not yet overdue but was reported in distress., sea nymph left hawaii for hiva oa and was reported over due.
\ the third also left Oahu for hiva oa well before sea nymph. has not as yet arrived nor has this one been reported as overdue. i donot remember the name of this one.(friends of my dock neighbor)
\we will see who it is that has been "found" when the report has been sent to ali, as she will notify me when that occurs.
OK. Thanks. PLS repost when you know who has been found.

Yesterday reading the anarchy page I found 5 boats of now edition of Atlantic OSTAR got into trouble too. One sunk, one dismasted, etc. MarkJ was in the same storm just further out. He actually backed some to dodge the worst blow. He is fine.

It looks like there is some amount of unsettled weather in both Pacific and Atlantic side this year that contributes to to some of our sailing friends in trouble.

I stay tuned for all updates.

Hugs,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 16:29   #82

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I dunno, Zee... you can call it "derailing" if you wish, but it kept the thread alive during a period when there was absolutely nothing we collectively could do to aid the missing mariners. Only those at sea in the area, folks who likely do not have internet access to report into CF, can be actively involved.

Your description of Sea Nymph's skipper reinforces the hope that he is OK, for he sounds like a competent chap who did reasonable preparation steps. The others, well, who knows? We continue to hope for their well being.

Jim
Old 11-06-2017, 22:55   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I dunno, Zee... you can call it "derailing" if you wish, but it kept the thread alive during a period when there was absolutely nothing we collectively could do to aid the missing mariners. Only those at sea in the area, folks who likely do not have internet access to report into CF, can be actively involved.

Your description of Sea Nymph's skipper reinforces the hope that he is OK, for he sounds like a competent chap who did reasonable preparation steps. The others, well, who knows? We continue to hope for their well being.

Jim
derailings can be fun as long as not a trainwreck.
I donot know sea nymph, I do know celebration, as he was neighbor in mazatlan for a few weeks. sometimes that is our friend base as we are all transients. each time encounter is a lil more friends-- many do a repeat anchorage/marina cruise, as this is such a lovely cruising area.
to my knowledge and my observation, there has been no untoward weather in the area in which these folks are sailing, so I anticipate all of em checking into hiva oa, but in their own timely manner. it is Richard folks have been concerned about due to his strange communications just before all communications stopped. even tracking has ceased to the recipients, his family.
even the pacific canes have been cooperative for these sailors and avoided the areas in which they usually come at this time of year.
these are you n me and the rest of us in pacific ocean under way towards a destination.
Tuesday should bring ali information, which when I receive it , I will post.

ps I dislike car wrecks as they caused me much aggravation at work and many challenges in putting back together the survivors. at least in sailing we donot come apart--just get a bit wet. and cold.

thanking the gods for the successful recovery of sailors who experienced issues with gawdawful weather in atlantic for the racing. is wonderful they are all alive and somewhat well and back on dry land.
ye know markj was also underway and sailed some south of that huge monster storm on his way to azores--our bendy toy driving ozstrayan is fine and prolly replenishing his blood beer level.
Old 11-06-2017, 23:31   #84

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sorry, Zee... it was a brain fart, and I meant Celebration. Regrets about confusion. One thought has crossed my mind, and that is I seem to remember lots of squalls in the ItCZ area on both our Mexico-Marquesas voyages, so the possibility of a lightning strike wiping out Richard's comms is worth considering.

We await news.

Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 01:32   #85

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
Now for a 70 year old man near the end of his life, this may not matter so much as pointed out earlier in this thread
WHAT??? I am 72y/o and admiral is 70 and you think we don't care about life - what a bunch of crock - God willing we NOT close to the end - last year we sailed all the way around the Black Sea and were probably the first boat to do it quite a while - and this year we will sail northern Greece where few go and God willing will end up in Israel and Red Sea then when I am what you seem to consider willing to die we will be sailing back across the Atlantic at 73+ -

I have been climbing mountains, high rock rescue, spent tons of time in the real back country, white water canoeing in nowhere Canada where there are no people or means of rescue - -

As for my family I had my kids skiing at 3y/o rocking climbing at 3-4y/o, backcountry compass reading and survival skills at 7-8 and sleeping in the wilderness with only minimal equipment at 6y/o - and it was not close to any civilization -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:49   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
WHAT??? I am 72y/o and admiral is 70 and you think we don't care about life - what a bunch of crock - God willing we NOT close to the end - last year we sailed all the way around the Black Sea and were probably the first boat to do it quite a while - and this year we will sail northern Greece where few go and God willing will end up in Israel and Red Sea then when I am what you seem to consider willing to die we will be sailing back across the Atlantic at 73+ -

I have been climbing mountains, high rock rescue, spent tons of time in the real back country, white water canoeing in nowhere Canada where there are no people or means of rescue -

Your comment is BS and I am being nice about that. Go to your safe space and find your pacificer

Yes ... nailed it chuck!!!!
jonnypaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:19   #87

Boat: no boat any more

"...probably relatively safe and probably as safe as..."
interesting statistics I read here...
youall got preoccupations...!!!
I'm just glad we went when we were young...!!!
(& separating hull-deck joint in "2-3meter seas" - what sort of rubbishboat - 42'!!!- must that have been?)
& btw: risk vs enjoyment - that's the number that counts!!! (can't find the cartoon now, says something like:
I can drown, get my skull smashed by the boom,...trying to cross an ocean & you can get run over by a truck riding the bike to work.
if I suceed I'll be in paradise, if you suceed - you're at work)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:25   #88

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
slightly off topic . . . but I once (well more than once )complained about the 'equipment focus' of most of the safety at sea writing. Someone asked me what I thought was important for safety in a small double handed cruising boat . . . I offered the following:

- stay awake/alert when on watch (can be hard at 0200 - fight it - keep watch), otherwise get as much rest/sleep as possible
- don't stay in shitty anchorages
- don't make night landfall if there is any doubt at all in your mind - everything (depths, lights, marks,, etc) must 'be right' or just stay off until dawn
- be conservative in bad weather, not too much sail (especially downwind) but also not too little, keep the boat helm balanced, sail away from the zones with really strong winds/biggest waves even if it costs you passage
- just don't go there, if the cruising community says there are bad guys with guys. Same with malaria. There are lots of nice places to go.
- dont be lazy, inspect the boat regularly (weekly?) and fix anything even slightly off immediately - dont put stuff off
- check your route closely for hazards, zoom WAY in and look closely all along it & offset way points away from hazards
- respect your intuition - if something does not feel or look right, be careful, dont rush forward, figure it out
agree 100%
(& like to add:
if you are not a "technically minded" person - stay away!)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:40   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Schrodingers Cat?

Applies to monos as well?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:41   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sorry, Zee... it was a brain fart, and I meant Celebration. Regrets about confusion. One thought has crossed my mind, and that is I seem to remember lots of squalls in the ItCZ area on both our Mexico-Marquesas voyages, so the possibility of a lightning strike wiping out Richard's comms is worth considering.

We await news.

Jim
that is another on the list of possibilities. ictz has been active.
as for memory--hell, i cannot remember my cats names when i call one it is the other i mean... i have gotten as bad as momma calling out all names in family before getting it right.
with 4 boats in atlantic an d 3 in pacific, one of which name is unknown, i think we all doing well.

Tags
boat, cruising