Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16   #31

Boat: 1967 Southcoast 23
Re: Trouble docking and leaving

The outboard sits down in the well deep enough that it restricts the movement of the tiller, so I can only steer with the rudder. I may have to practice walking it out. And I am going to make a fender board in the meantime!
ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

It might help if you confirm for everyone the directions of your preferred movements.

I originally assumed you were describing backing straight out of your slip into the fairway, then using the rudder to turn to port in forward gear and departing the fairway "stage left" and bow first.

I think it looks like others have interpreted your notes to mean you're backing out of the slip, then continuing to port in reverse -- essentially backing out of the fairway.

We might understand better if you would like to clarify stuff like that.

You could also maybe describe for everyone the way the prop moves your boat now. Now that I see it's an outboard... propwalk may or may not be a huge factor; usually outboard props are pretty small. Still, it's worth a shot since every little bit may help. With rudder amidships, does forward cause the stern to slightly move to starboard or to port? With rudder amidships, does reverse cause the stern to slightly move to starboard or port? Or does power in forward or reverse cause no appreciable lateral movement?

I was going to mention tiller extensions -- with throttle control, etc. -- but I see the well location precludes use of something like that.

Once you figure out the best way to do the maneuver -- what Raku and other have said: practice.

A dicey engine's a non-starter (pun intended).

-Chris
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot View Post
The outboard sits down in the well deep enough that it restricts the movement of the tiller, so I can only steer with the rudder. I may have to practice walking it out. And I am going to make a fender board in the meantime!

EASY fenderboards -- pieces of PVC pipe. Drill holes in both ends for the lines. They're extremely strong, lightweight, easy to handle, easy to store.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking