Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 22:59   #1

Training in bay area SF recommendations?

Hi skippers,

I'm looking for solid training in sailing to develop my sea legs to be able to man a large catamaran here in Bay Area. I live in Mountain View so the closest marinas are in Redwood City but my concern is that it's calm in contrast to San Francisco Bay or the open sea.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 23:56   #2

Boat: Island Packet, 380
Re: Training in bay area SF recommendations?

Check out Club Nautique, they have locations in both Alameda and Sausalito. I've taken all of my sailing training through them. They have a large catamaran that you learn to skipper and charter once you pass the course. In addition they have a great ocean and coastal passage making program, the full suite of US sailing courses, and a beautiful fleet of sailboats to charter.

Check them out, they come highly recommended.

Learn to Sail San Francisco Bay with Club Nautique Sailing School and Powerboating School | Sailing Club - Non Members Welcome
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:11   #3

Thanks Helios,

I've been also looking at Spinnaker in Redwood City and Berkeley OC sailing club. Since I plan to buy a large sailboat as a live aboard, I also need to be able to skipper a much larger boat 40-50' compared to the tiny boats a lot of training centers use.
Learning the engines and systems also will be new to me as will be boat maintenance.
Old 26-10-2013, 10:42   #4

Boat: Island Packet, 380

Yes getting exposure to many different types and sizes of boats was a huge benefit. They have sailboats from 26ft-49ft, a large 40ft cat and a handful of motor yachts that you can also get trained on. In addition they offer a diesel maintenance class through one of the local mechanics. The bare boat and coastal passage making classes also emphasize boat trouble shooting and basic maintenance which will give you exposure to the numerous different boat systems.

When comparing schools I'd check to make sure they offer classes all the way up through coastal passage making. It's about 1-2 years worth of instruction depending upon the pace that you can take the classes, but it will definitely take you from cruiser-newbie to cruiser-pro in no time.

FYI, my wife and I just bought a boat and moved aboard in September. I'm wrapping up the coastal passage making courses and plan to take the ocean passage making in the spring before we set sail to do some long term cruising late fall of next year. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with crazy plans!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 10:45   #5

Thanks Helios,

I agree- the range of courses at Club Nautique looks fantastic. I've always dreamed of sailing and the one time I did it years ago was amazing. That and flying. I'm finishing up my private pilot license this month and then will be able to fly aircraft places. With both skills, I will have tons of options to travel freely via boat and plane.