Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 04:38   #1

Towing Question

Wondering if towing a 24' inflatable ridgid would be a very big deal, big deal or just a pain for river cruising and the ICW. Towed by a 26 to 30' sail, with no more than 25 hp.

The idea here is to carry about 800 ponds of cargo that would be to bulky to carry on a sail boat in that size.

I may have the tubes for this rather large dingy, but no hull and that would be built. So the hull could be designed to secure the load but for towing efficiency.

What are your thoughts?
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 04:44   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: TOWING QESTION?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Wondering if towing a 24' inflatable ridgid would be a very big deal, big deal or just a pain for river cruising and the ICW. Towed by a 26 to 30' sail, with no more than 25 hp.

The idea here is to carry about 800 ponds of cargo that would be to bulky to carry on a sail boat in that size.

I may have the tubes for this rather large dingy, but no hull and that would be built. So the hull could be designed to secure the load but for towing efficiency.

What are your thoughts?
I have never heard of anyone doing that; I wonder if anyone else has? What would be in this cargo that you need so desperately and yet can't fit on a sailboat -- apparently you haven't picked one yet?

Thing is, dinghies can flip. If you're saying "26 - 30' sailboat," apparently you don't know what boat you will have yet. That means you don't know what it will hold. Most sailboats in that size range, esp. as you move toward 30', have a fair amount of storage available. I use one of my aft berths for storage and can easily fit enough on the boat to have a comfortable life not only for myself, but my two cats as well.

I don't think you should be looking at this solution before you have identified the main boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 04:53   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post

What are your thoughts?
It might be a lot less stressful to buy the yacht with the payload capacity you need. If it's bulky (i.e. cubic) do you mind us asking what it might be that you want to drag along?

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:29   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

BAD IDEA!.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:35   #5

Well I'm reluctant to say, it's my girl friend.....

No, really, it's a motorcycle, yes, a motorcycle. I have two options, one, a 675 pound (1600) cruiser, the other a 325 pound (650) dual sport. I'm am not concerned with it flipping, just so long as I don't lose it, either can be bagged to be water proof. It would be self righting anyway. It will also be bolted and locked down, it will not roll, slide or bounce, it would be solid. The CG of either is less than two feet and both are at about 8' long. The tubes will carry more than 2,000 pounds.

I have looked for a boat in my price range and have not seen anything that seems to be sufficient to carry such a load and to cruise rivers and the ICW.

My bucket list is to cruise and take extended motorcycle trips and to have transportation along the way. No, I can't rent bikes along the way. There are hundreds of miles of river sections that are remote and I can't call to have a car delivered to rent and drop off.

We had another thread about transportation with a boat, might be I have the wrong bike, it needs to carry 2 up with some limited gear/bags.

I'm thinking of a bolger sharpie powered type in that length. I could go with any trailerable boat of that length with stark amenities for two that is shoal draft.

Since the hull of the inflatable is not there, a tublar frame could also be used with a deck and shorter ridgid hull area so that the bike rides lower.

If we can put humans in space, this should be doable.....lol
Old 15-08-2011, 05:37   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

No problem towing 800 lb. but the wind will blow a long tube setup all over. Mooring and docking will be a PITA. 800 lbs is not that much stuff. ...get a managable size inflatable unless you need to tow the garage and the car with it. So.... we all need to know.... what are you planning on towing on the tubes?

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:42   #7

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Great concept ... bad idea. I have cruised on a larger boat with a scooter on deck. It preaty much desolved after a few months. Cruise the Bike or the boat but not at the same time. A bicycle is cheap and disposible. When I get back from our winter cruise I like to jump on my Moto Guzzi and get away from the water for a while.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 05:53   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Actually, I would suggest getting a small (30ft or so) catamaran instead of a monohull. You would then have a significant aft deck/cockpit area for the bikes. You can arrange a block and tackle arrangement hung from the main boom to lift the bikes off and back onto the boat. These small catamarans are very efficient and usually have outboards instead of inboard engines.
- - You could also try one bike on each pontoon amidships rather than on the aft deck/cockpit area. I have actually seen that done in the islands.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:07   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Lots of people cruise the ICW, and leave thier car behind. When they find a spot to leave the boat, and venture out. They find a way back to the vehicle, and take off. Did I mention BAD IDEA? You will find current, and bridges a problem with your boat, and tow package. Did I mention BAD IDEA?.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:16   #10

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I would just jam it tight to the transom with some chafing gear when manouvering. With that small a mother ship it will create some windage, but that should not be a large problem. Make a good loading ramp because motorcycles don't float worth a damn! PS it will be a rusty mess in a short time. A moped would be a much better idea
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:29   #11

Boat: private yacht always moving

It sounds like the perfect Mother-In-Law setup to me,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:56   #12

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Towing Question?

I think you're asking the wrong folks. If you are committed to the concept talk to tug captains about what it takes to pull a load with windage and drag and consider whether you want to manage all that. Also consider the logistics (including cost) of getting the bike on and off the "barge."

I can think of some possible solutions, but all would be a major PITA and require really quite good boathandling skills.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 06:59   #13

LOL, now that I have been laughed off the site....

I was thinking that a heavy hipalon (sp?) custom bag would keep the salt air away and the spray. If it worked well, I could have a fiberglass enclosure made. I thought too having it in the slipway would not be so bad.

I'd really like a cat and that's the first thing I thought of, until I started shopping for one @ 30/32 feet. Not trailerable and if it was it was mid six figures. I should be able to have a functional, livable, economical boat for the ICW and major rivers that would be reliable for 25K, seems it should be done alot cheaper than that too. This is probably a one time big trip and then weekends out for years to come, not like I have a twenty year payback in a boat. I should have done this twenty years ago, but like most I was too busy making the almighty buck. Retired at 55 and I'm okay, but not out to spend big bucks for a Lagoon. Nothing against them, BTW!

I don't want to travel on a bicycle for 2/300 miles in an area, not an option now, could have easily done it 30 years ago.

I'm considering building a boat for this, but can't find a good, quick build for a first time builder other than the Bolger types, pretty simple. I do have some skills and worth (LOL).

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 15-08-2011, 07:06   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ
It sounds like the perfect Mother-In-Law setup to me,,,
I'm thinking the rig would look less aberrant were it being towed by a PWC.
Old 15-08-2011, 07:19   #15

Boat: private yacht always moving

If all you are doing is icw and rivers why the sailboat. Might want to look at small houseboats that have more room. How much sailing are you planning on doing on the icw???????

50' JAMESTOWNER 18 x 50 with Catwalks

1973 JAMESTOWNER 18 x 50 with Catwalks Power Boat For Sale -
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote