Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-04-2016, 10:02   #16

Re: towing/ manuvering with your dinghy

Another option that works is to tie front of dinghy to front of boat being towed. Tow with dinghy in reverse. This gives good directional control. I heard about this from Lin and Larry Pardee at one of their seminars. I tried it on my 42 foot sloop pulling with 15 HP dinghy engine. No one had to steer the big boat.

If Boat to be towed has stern compatible to being pushed by rib type dingy, that will work like a charm. Person steer sail boat as normal, person in dingy keeps dinghy square to stern and adjusts throttle for speed control. Also attach a line in case you need some reverse from dinghy to slow or stop vessel.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:57   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: towing/ manuvering with your dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cross View Post
Another option that works is to tie front of dinghy to front of boat being towed. Tow with dinghy in reverse. This gives good directional control. I heard about this from Lin and Larry Pardee at one of their seminars. I tried it on my 42 foot sloop pulling with 15 HP dinghy engine. No one had to steer the big boat.

If Boat to be towed has stern compatible to being pushed by rib type dingy, that will work like a charm. Person steer sail boat as normal, person in dingy keeps dinghy square to stern and adjusts throttle for speed control. Also attach a line in case you need some reverse from dinghy to slow or stop vessel.
Sounds like push boats, I believe yawl boat is correct, For Skipjacks, oyster boats on the Chesapeake back when.

In my humble opinion, towing with a small boat is generally not successful because the hawser is higher on the towed boat than the towing boat, the longer the line the better. Also have you ever seen a tug towing from the stern? The bollard is generally set forward a good piece. A yoke on the stern of a towing boat helps and insuring the hawser is dead center on the towed boat or also yoked.. Yawing and lack of steerage are the enemies. Again, JMHO

Old 06-04-2016, 11:21   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Towing/ Manuvering With Your Dinghy

I have towed a larger boat with my dinghy with it's 20 HP Suzuki just a short distance, I towed from his bow, be careful if you do this as when it comes time to stop, he will run you over if your not careful, hip tow I believe would have been better

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: