Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2007, 10:24   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
tidal stream (direction) information

Anyone know where (internet) I might find detailed information on the direction of tidal currents? At the 'current' moment, i'm interested in the Florida Keys ICW and Biscayne Bay, but a general resource would be great. Thanks much, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 13:35   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Pete - try doing a search (on this forum and then the internet) on OCEAN CURRENTS.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 19:37   #3

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Are you looking for something like this:

Tidal Current Tables

Or something graphic, like Captain Jacks has for Puget Sound.

John
cal40john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 07:47   #4

thanks

Actually, what i was looking for was something to indicate the direction of the tidal current (tidal diamonds) on a small scale, like the ICW. That is to say, in a body of water like the ICW, where there may be multiple channel openings, where is the current direction at any given place?

I did search "ocean currents" but didn't find anything like this, and I guess the Catain Jacks is a book rather than an online resource?

All the best, Pete
Old 27-07-2007, 07:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Pete - ahhh ... The only place that I've ever seen tidal currents listed was in the freely distributed tide and current table booklet for the SF Bay Area. Showed tidal info and current speeds, directions, locations, and time differences between different locations within the area. I would expect that some of the higher latitude areas would have the same thing.

You may want to try: Station Selection

Pretty much what John put up there.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 08:02   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Pete,

The link from John's post above is about as good as it gets unless there is something locally available put out by someone down there. NOAA does about the best job predicting tides and currents. You might be able to get a general idea based on the tide tables for specific locations. You can estimate the flow by looking at the tidal graphs. The steeper graphs will exhibit the most current. The direction would be in or out of the ocean. The closer to the mouth of any ocean source the more pronounced the current will be. I know that is not what you were hoping for but I think what you would really like isn't available. For places like the Gulf Stream you have to rely on satellite / infrared shots to actually read the currents. I'm not aware of any product like that for the ICW.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 08:11   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As I recall (from 15 years ago) the ICW Guides all gave current direction information. Of course you'll have to have up to date tide charts info'.
I know I was never surprised by an unanticipated “header” - and I only had a printed guide.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 08:27   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Pete, tidesandcurrent.noaa.gov has some information. Hopefully I correctly remembered the web site. I typed tidal currents on my browser and found this site. With only a 2 foot rise and fall of the tides a big current wouldn't be anticipated. Using the tidal data, you could always transit the cuts at slack tide. Here in St. Augustine, our tide has a range of 5 feet and the current does play havoac on sailboats.
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 08:28   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458
Actually, what i was looking for was something to indicate the direction of the tidal current (tidal diamonds) on a small scale, like the ICW. That is to say, in a body of water like the ICW, where there may be multiple channel openings, where is the current direction at any given place?
Pete,

Anyone who can predict the tidal flows in the ICW (especially in GA) would be a genius. All I know from going up and down a few time is it is always against you. I don't know how many time I've been fighting the current and thinking that it'll be with me once I get past an inlet but, funny enough, when I get past the inlet it's against me again. My approach has been to ignore the current, don't waste time trying to figure it out or waiting for the tide, just go ... start early in the morning (daybreak) and quit in time to enjoy a sundowner. For me that's about 3 p.m.
Old 27-07-2007, 08:54   #10

thanks again

I can certainly relate to the "tide is always against you..."

My main consideration was whether we had an unrealistically long day set for one of our cruising days. Anyway, I guess we'll find out next week!
Old 27-07-2007, 18:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Anyway, I guess we'll find out next week!
If you know everything before you leave they why go. Best of luck to you. Being lucky still counts!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:26   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458
Anyone know where (internet) I might find detailed information on the direction of tidal currents? At the 'current' moment, i'm interested in the Florida Keys ICW and Biscayne Bay, but a general resource would be great. Thanks much, Pete
Experimental and not too detailed, but.............................

SailFlow.com - FL-biscayne bay Wind Data
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:41   #13

Wow.

Thanks Therapy. It's funny, I use SailFlow all the time, never noticed the Tidal Currents chart.

I can't seem to make it change locations, however. Any insights?

Thanks again
Old 07-08-2007, 14:45   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Pete-
Check out WXTide32 - Tides and Currents for Win9x/NT a free program that provides tide and current data based on the federal source data and locations. Note that you have to select your area and set up for that area, it doesn't automatically load the entire US all at once.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 15:43   #15

Pete, click on the map in the upper-left hand corner…